  1. I need to defrag my secondary drive but I get an error message saying I need
    to run check disk on it first. I'm on Windows XP, where do I find check
    disk?
    Smooth Operator, Feb 2, 2007

  2. Smooth Operator

    why? Guest

    On Fri, 2 Feb 2007 12:29:40 -0500, Smooth Operator wrote:

    >I need to defrag my secondary drive but I get an error message saying I need
    >to run check disk on it first. I'm on Windows XP, where do I find check

    So how are you running Defrag, hopefully it's not method (4) below.

    >disk?

    Several ways,

    1) Start | Help and Support
    Search for - chkdsk

    2) www.google.com

    http://www.google.com/search?q=windows xp chkdsk
    Microsoft Windows XP - Chkdsk
    Creates and displays a status report for a disk based on the file
    system. Chkdsk also lists and corrects errors on the disk. Used without
    parameters, chkdsk ...
    www.microsoft.com/resources/documentation/windows/xp/all/proddocs/en-us/chkdsk.mspx
    - 17k - Cached - Similar pages
    Microsoft Windows XP - Chkdsk
    Creates and displays a status report for the disk. The chkdsk command
    also lists and corrects errors on the disk.
    www.microsoft.com/resources/documentation/windows/xp/all/proddocs/en-us/bootcons_chkdsk.mspx
    - 7k - Cached - Similar pages
    Windows xp chkdsk - The Details
    windows xp chkdsk, learn how to use it in this guide!.
    www.updatexp.com/windows-xp-chkdsk.html - 43k - Cached - Similar pages

    3) Not so obvious, if not tried (1) or (2) first
    Start | Run | type in - cmd | click OK
    type chkdsk | press enter or return.

    For options on use

    chkdsk /?

    better yet, back to (2) and read about it.

    4) As it's about disks, fairly obvious
    Select the letter of the partition (ok, drive) you want to defrag |
    Right click | Properties | Tools |
    (Defragmentation) is just below the Error Checking (chkdsk) option |
    Check Now

    Me
    why?, Feb 2, 2007

  3. Smooth Operator

    UnWise One Guest

    "Smooth Operator" <> wrote in message
    >I need to defrag my secondary drive but I get an error message saying I
    >need to run check disk on it first. I'm on Windows XP, where do I find
    >check disk?

    In win explorer, RIGHT click the HDD concerned and select "Properties"
    In ensuing dialog select "Tools"
    Run check disk
    then run defrag

    Supposedly in Vista, defrag can be run whilst one continues to use PC?
    UnWise One, Feb 2, 2007
  4. In news:etfme0$282$,
    ProfGene <> typed:
    > Smooth Operator wrote:
    >> I need to defrag my secondary drive but I get an error message
    >> saying I need to run check disk on it first. I'm on Windows XP,
    >> where do I find check disk?
    >>

    > I don't know for sure where you find it most likely in Control panel
    > but if you do an illegal shut down like just pressing the reset
    > button when you reboot check disk will usually start running
    > automatically.

    Long route - My Computer, right-click on drive, Properties, Tools,
    Error-checking, check now.
    Oksana Gutteridge, Mar 17, 2007
  5. Smooth Operator

    ProfGene Guest

    ProfGene, Mar 17, 2007
  6. Smooth Operator

    Aardvark Guest

    On Sat, 17 Mar 2007 14:33:48 +1100, Oksana Gutteridge wrote:

    > In news:etfme0$282$,
    > ProfGene <> typed:
    >> Smooth Operator wrote:
    >>> I need to defrag my secondary drive but I get an error message
    >>> saying I need to run check disk on it first. I'm on Windows XP,
    >>> where do I find check disk?
    >>>

    >> I don't know for sure where you find it most likely in Control panel
    >> but if you do an illegal shut down like just pressing the reset
    >> button when you reboot check disk will usually start running
    >> automatically.

    > Long route - My Computer, right-click on drive, Properties, Tools,
    > Error-checking, check now.

    Start---->Run. Type "cmd" (without the quotes). You get a command window
    (black background). Type "chkdsk (drive letter): /r" Hit Enter.

    You will be told that it can't run checkdisk at the moment but will ask if
    you want to run it on next reboot. Click 'y' and enter. Then reboot and a
    full checkdisk will run.

    --
    Registered Linux User 413057.
    Both Mandriva 2007 and Ubuntu 6.06
    Aardvark, Mar 17, 2007
  7. Smooth Operator

    why? Guest

    On Sat, 17 Mar 2007 14:33:48 +1100, Oksana Gutteridge wrote:

    >In news:etfme0$282$,
    >ProfGene <> typed:
    >> Smooth Operator wrote:
    >>> I need to defrag my secondary drive but I get an error message
    >>> saying I need to run check disk on it first. I'm on Windows XP,
    >>> where do I find check disk?
    >>>

    >> I don't know for sure where you find it most likely in Control panel
    >> but if you do an illegal shut down like just pressing the reset
    >> button when you reboot check disk will usually start running
    >> automatically.

    >Long route - My Computer, right-click on drive, Properties, Tools,
    >Error-checking, check now.

    That was already mentioned 15 days ago in 2 posts by why? and UnWise
    One.

    Oh so was the short route,

    why?, Mar 17, 2007