Need help with Cisco 3800 + Cisco ASA 5540 configuration

Discussion in 'Cisco' started by ejohnson1341@gmail.com, Sep 27, 2007.

  1. Guest

    Hello gurus,

    I need some help with a new project. I've never used Cisco ASA
    before, and I don't know how to set this up.

    I have Cisco 3800, with interface gigabitethernet 0/0 configured with
    private IP for LAN, 0/1 configured with public IP.

    ISP tells me that 0/1 (public IP) is to be plugged into one of the 4
    ethernet ports in the ASA 5540. I assume I can configure one of these
    ports for this, but I don't know how to do it. So my questions are,

    1) Do I use a cross-over cable to connect router 0/1 to asa port?
    2) How do I configure the port in the asa 5540? Do I assign it an
    internal IP, and set up NAT in the firewall itself?

    Thanks very much for any help.

    EJ
    , Sep 27, 2007

  2. Guest

    On Sep 27, 9:03 am, wrote:
    > Hello gurus,
    >
    > I need some help with a new project. I've never used Cisco ASA
    > before, and I don't know how to set this up.
    >
    > I have Cisco 3800, with interface gigabitethernet 0/0 configured with
    > private IP for LAN, 0/1 configured with public IP.
    >
    > ISP tells me that 0/1 (public IP) is to be plugged into one of the 4
    > ethernet ports in the ASA 5540. I assume I can configure one of these
    > ports for this, but I don't know how to do it. So my questions are,
    >
    > 1) Do I use a cross-over cable to connect router 0/1 to asa port?
    > 2) How do I configure the port in the asa 5540? Do I assign it an
    > internal IP, and set up NAT in the firewall itself?
    >
    > Thanks very much for any help.
    >
    > EJ

    More Info: I should have included that the 3800 is to connect to the
    Internet, and the ASA 5540 is to connect to a switch, and to protect
    one LAN. No other devices or networks.
    , Sep 27, 2007

  3. thort

    Joined:
    Sep 26, 2007
    Messages:
    35
    If you connect the ASA to a switch, you don't need a cross-over cable, to a router port, then yes.

    I like to configure things via the console in CLI. But I would recommend that you use the web/ASDM interface. It has a setup wizard. Read the getting started/basic setup guide. (usually delivered with your ASA, or found on Cisco's site)

    Otherwise this is a good book to invest in, from start to finish:
    http://www.ebookee.com/Cisco-ASA-Al...nd-VPN-Adaptive-Security-Appliance_11220.html
    thort, Sep 29, 2007