    that came with it, i cant find the product registration key, its not on the
    computer case nor on the disc case, do i have to contact microsoft or
    something?

    Sly, Jun 20, 2005

  2. Sly

    Pilbs Guest

    try http://www.magicaljellybean.com/keyfinder.shtml

    Pilbs, Jun 20, 2005

  3. Sly

    Victor Henry Guest

    "Sly" <> wrote in message
    >i recently bought a used computer with win xp home on it but it was so full
    > of problems that i had to reformat it, now that im ready to reinstall win
    > xp
    > that came with it, i cant find the product registration key, its not on
    > the
    > computer case nor on the disc case, do i have to contact microsoft or
    > something?

    If you haven't reformatted yet, run Belarc Advisor which will list the key.
    If you've already reformatted, you're screwed.

    Victor Henry, Jun 20, 2005
  4. Sly

    unwashed Guest

    "Sly" <> wrote in message
    >i recently bought a used computer with win xp home on it but it was so full
    > of problems that i had to reformat it, now that im ready to reinstall win
    > xp
    > that came with it, i cant find the product registration key, its not on
    > the
    > computer case nor on the disc case, do i have to contact microsoft or
    > something?

    Well I don't believe you - so it's very doubtful MS will either!
    You bought a used PC that also came with an "original" XP disk?
    And assuming also drivers, software etc.
    You performed a format, and now want a product key?
    You can of course try this story with Microsoft, do let us know
    what their response is!

    unwashed, Jun 20, 2005
  5. Sly

    Sly Guest

    yup reformatted already, hell, il send em the damn disc for proof if i gotta

    Sly, Jun 20, 2005
  6. Sly

    Sly Guest

    is it possible to install the win xp disc, then use a tool like
    http://www.magicaljellybean.com/keyfinder.shtml or rockxp.exe or something
    to look for the key or whatever in the system files or registry or
    something?

    Sly, Jun 20, 2005
  7. Sly

    pcbutts1 Guest

    No. You need the key to install it.

    pcbutts1, Jun 20, 2005
  8. Sly

    Vanguard Guest

    "Sly" <> wrote in message
    >i recently bought a used computer with win xp home on it but it was so
    >full
    > of problems that i had to reformat it, now that im ready to reinstall
    > win xp
    > that came with it, i cant find the product registration key, its not
    > on the
    > computer case nor on the disc case, do i have to contact microsoft or
    > something?

    You sure the sticker isn't on the bottom or backside of the computer
    case or laptop? If it is a desktop unit, look inside the removable side
    panel. Since you already formatted the drive, you won't be able to
    recover the product key from the registry that no longer exists. If the
    product key is not on the CD jewel case, sleeve, or trifold wallet then
    the seller never gave you a legal copy of the software. I've even seen
    large companies sell off old equipment claiming that Windows was
    included when in fact all they did was sell off the hardware without
    cleaning the hard drive (i.e., a legal copy of the software was never
    included).

    I'm not sure Microsoft will accept you mailing in the original
    3-dimensionally printed compact disc because they don't know that you
    didn't purloin it or "borrow it" from someone else and they would end up
    giving out another key for someone that already had one (and was lying
    about not having one) which results in a user obtaining lots of product
    keys for one copy of their software. Easiest way to find out would be
    to call them where "them" is both the seller to see if they will provide
    a legal copy of the software and also Microsoft if the seller refuses to
    comply.

    Vanguard, Jun 20, 2005
  9. Sly

    Sly Guest

    how does one contact microsoft?

    Sly, Jun 20, 2005
  10. Sly

    Ghostrider Guest

    Sly wrote:
    > how does one contact microsoft?

    Go to Microsoft's website and look up the contact info.
    But, there are too many limitations on what Microsoft would
    constitute to be a legal transfer of license and this would
    essentially involve a retail version of Windows XP. If the
    Windows XP Home cdrom that was bought with the computer is
    not a retail version (viz., OEM, branded or not), then don't
    even bother contacting MS...buy your own retail version or
    get the product key from the original seller.

    Ghostrider, Jun 20, 2005
  11. Sly

    Ian Moyce Guest

    Sly wrote:
    > i recently bought a used computer with win xp home on it but it was
    > so full of problems that i had to reformat it, now that im ready to
    > reinstall win xp that came with it, i cant find the product
    > registration key, its not on the computer case nor on the disc case,
    > do i have to contact microsoft or something?

    Call 0800 77 66 00. They can help.

    Ian Moyce, Jun 20, 2005
  12. Sly

    Paul Kersey Guest

    Limewire + Windows XP home serial {search} = resolution.

    Paul Kersey, Jun 22, 2005