    something that really is free I could try to see if it helps?

    Thanks for any help!
    David
    dh@., Sep 27, 2009

  2. dh@.

    Bob Hobden Guest

    David wrote ...
    > I've been having a lot of trouble trying to get this computer to boot up
    > lately. Sometimes I get the
    > option of starting in Safe Mode, and then restarting it will get it to
    > start normally. I got an
    > error message that included this:
    >
    > BCCode : 100000ea BCP1 : 83158020 BCP2 : 83168F60 BCP3 :
    > F8C68CB4
    > BCP4 : 00000001 OSVer : 5_1_2600 SP : 2_0 Product : 768_1
    >
    > C:\DOCUME~1\MIKEWA~1\LOCALS~1\Temp\WERb07f.dir00\Mini092409-02.dmp
    > C:\DOCUME~1\MIKEWA~1\LOCALS~1\Temp\WERb07f.dir00\sysdata.xml
    >
    > Can anyone explain anything about what all that means, and what to do
    > about it?
    >
    > I've also been having trouble because of not having an MSVCRT40.dll file,
    > so I downloaded it but
    > don't know exactly where I should put it. I also did a free scan that told
    > me I've got over 200
    > problems with .dll files ect, but it would cost about $30 to "register"
    > and get a working program to
    > fix the problems. I've tried something like that before and it was a waste
    > of $30. Is there
    > something that really is free I could try to see if it helps?

    Try downloading and using the freeware... http://www.ccleaner.com/
    and see if that improves the situation.

    --
    Regards
    Bob Hobden
    Bob Hobden, Sep 27, 2009

  3. dh@.

    Paul Guest

    dh@. wrote:
    > I've been having a lot of trouble trying to get this computer to boot up lately. Sometimes I get the
    > option of starting in Safe Mode, and then restarting it will get it to start normally. I got an
    > error message that included this:
    >
    > BCCode : 100000ea BCP1 : 83158020 BCP2 : 83168F60 BCP3 : F8C68CB4
    > BCP4 : 00000001 OSVer : 5_1_2600 SP : 2_0 Product : 768_1
    >
    > C:\DOCUME~1\MIKEWA~1\LOCALS~1\Temp\WERb07f.dir00\Mini092409-02.dmp
    > C:\DOCUME~1\MIKEWA~1\LOCALS~1\Temp\WERb07f.dir00\sysdata.xml
    >
    > Can anyone explain anything about what all that means, and what to do about it?
    >
    > I've also been having trouble because of not having an MSVCRT40.dll file, so I downloaded it but
    > don't know exactly where I should put it. I also did a free scan that told me I've got over 200
    > problems with .dll files ect, but it would cost about $30 to "register" and get a working program to
    > fix the problems. I've tried something like that before and it was a waste of $30. Is there
    > something that really is free I could try to see if it helps?
    >
    > Thanks for any help!
    > David

    Could it be a variation on "Thread stuck in device driver" ?
    Check the stop codes here.

    http://aumha.org/a/stop.htm

    "Free scans" and magic fixes, aren't going to fix this. You need
    to determine what driver is doing it. Is the name of the driver
    in any of the error message ? Is there anything logged in
    Event Viewer ? Try to determine the driver at fault.

    Presumably that info is stored in the .dmp file.

    "How to read the small memory dump files that Windows creates for debugging"

    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/315263

    I don't have a dumpchk.exe on my C: drive. But I did find one
    via KB838079 and a download link. The download is here. Extract
    it, to get a "dumpchk.exe". (I use 7ZIP to extract the files, without
    installing anything.)

    http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/...A8011FABF38&displaylang=en&displaylang=en

    I tried running dumpchk from a command window, using a dump file I
    found in C:\WINDOWS\minidump and it works. This is what I
    did in a command window.

    C:\WINDOWS\Minidump> dumpchk Mini020609-01.dmp

    Turns out the one I just tested, is a sound driver crash.

    Paul
    Paul, Sep 28, 2009
  4. dh@.

    Charlie Guest

    <dh@.> wrote in message
    >snip<

    > I've also been having trouble because of not having an
    > MSVCRT40.dll file, so I downloaded > it but don't know exactly
    > where I should put it.

    MSVCRT40.dll is one of the Microsoft Visual C Runtime Library files
    and normally is located in the Windows/System32 directory of your
    boot drive.

    >snip<

    Charlie
    Charlie, Sep 28, 2009
  5. dh@.

    dh@. Guest

    On Sun, 27 Sep 2009 19:31:02 -0400, Paul <> wrote:

    >dh@. wrote:
    >> I've been having a lot of trouble trying to get this computer to boot up lately. Sometimes I get the
    >> option of starting in Safe Mode, and then restarting it will get it to start normally. I got an
    >> error message that included this:
    >>
    >> BCCode : 100000ea BCP1 : 83158020 BCP2 : 83168F60 BCP3 : F8C68CB4
    >> BCP4 : 00000001 OSVer : 5_1_2600 SP : 2_0 Product : 768_1
    >>
    >> C:\DOCUME~1\MIKEWA~1\LOCALS~1\Temp\WERb07f.dir00\Mini092409-02.dmp
    >> C:\DOCUME~1\MIKEWA~1\LOCALS~1\Temp\WERb07f.dir00\sysdata.xml
    >>
    >> Can anyone explain anything about what all that means, and what to do about it?
    >>
    >> I've also been having trouble because of not having an MSVCRT40.dll file, so I downloaded it but
    >> don't know exactly where I should put it. I also did a free scan that told me I've got over 200
    >> problems with .dll files ect, but it would cost about $30 to "register" and get a working program to
    >> fix the problems. I've tried something like that before and it was a waste of $30. Is there
    >> something that really is free I could try to see if it helps?
    >>
    >> Thanks for any help!
    >> David

    >Could it be a variation on "Thread stuck in device driver" ?
    >Check the stop codes here.
    >
    >http://aumha.org/a/stop.htm
    >
    >"Free scans" and magic fixes, aren't going to fix this. You need
    >to determine what driver is doing it. Is the name of the driver
    >in any of the error message ? Is there anything logged in
    >Event Viewer ? Try to determine the driver at fault.
    >
    >Presumably that info is stored in the .dmp file.
    >
    >"How to read the small memory dump files that Windows creates for debugging"
    >
    >http://support.microsoft.com/kb/315263
    >
    >I don't have a dumpchk.exe on my C: drive. But I did find one
    >via KB838079 and a download link. The download is here. Extract
    >it, to get a "dumpchk.exe". (I use 7ZIP to extract the files, without
    >installing anything.)
    >
    >http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/...A8011FABF38&amp;displaylang=en&displaylang=en
    >
    >I tried running dumpchk from a command window, using a dump file I
    >found in C:\WINDOWS\minidump and it works. This is what I
    >did in a command window.
    >
    >C:\WINDOWS\Minidump> dumpchk Mini020609-01.dmp
    >
    >Turns out the one I just tested, is a sound driver crash.
    >
    > Paul

    I found the Minidump folder, and there's one named Mini092709-01.dmp so that
    might have the info needed to figure out the problem, but I haven't been able to
    find Dumpchk even at the link you provided, nor have I been able to open it with
    anything else.
    dh@., Sep 28, 2009
  6. dh@.

    Paul Guest

    dh@. wrote:
    > On Sun, 27 Sep 2009 19:31:02 -0400, Paul <> wrote:
    >
    >> dh@. wrote:
    >>> I've been having a lot of trouble trying to get this computer to boot up lately. Sometimes I get the
    >>> option of starting in Safe Mode, and then restarting it will get it to start normally. I got an
    >>> error message that included this:
    >>>
    >>> BCCode : 100000ea BCP1 : 83158020 BCP2 : 83168F60 BCP3 : F8C68CB4
    >>> BCP4 : 00000001 OSVer : 5_1_2600 SP : 2_0 Product : 768_1
    >>>
    >>> C:\DOCUME~1\MIKEWA~1\LOCALS~1\Temp\WERb07f.dir00\Mini092409-02.dmp
    >>> C:\DOCUME~1\MIKEWA~1\LOCALS~1\Temp\WERb07f.dir00\sysdata.xml
    >>>
    >>> Can anyone explain anything about what all that means, and what to do about it?
    >>>
    >>> I've also been having trouble because of not having an MSVCRT40.dll file, so I downloaded it but
    >>> don't know exactly where I should put it. I also did a free scan that told me I've got over 200
    >>> problems with .dll files ect, but it would cost about $30 to "register" and get a working program to
    >>> fix the problems. I've tried something like that before and it was a waste of $30. Is there
    >>> something that really is free I could try to see if it helps?
    >>>
    >>> Thanks for any help!
    >>> David

    >> Could it be a variation on "Thread stuck in device driver" ?
    >> Check the stop codes here.
    >>
    >> http://aumha.org/a/stop.htm
    >>
    >> "Free scans" and magic fixes, aren't going to fix this. You need
    >> to determine what driver is doing it. Is the name of the driver
    >> in any of the error message ? Is there anything logged in
    >> Event Viewer ? Try to determine the driver at fault.
    >>
    >> Presumably that info is stored in the .dmp file.
    >>
    >> "How to read the small memory dump files that Windows creates for debugging"
    >>
    >> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/315263
    >>
    >> I don't have a dumpchk.exe on my C: drive. But I did find one
    >> via KB838079 and a download link. The download is here. Extract
    >> it, to get a "dumpchk.exe". (I use 7ZIP to extract the files, without
    >> installing anything.)
    >>
    >> http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/...A8011FABF38&amp;displaylang=en&displaylang=en
    >>
    >> I tried running dumpchk from a command window, using a dump file I
    >> found in C:\WINDOWS\minidump and it works. This is what I
    >> did in a command window.
    >>
    >> C:\WINDOWS\Minidump> dumpchk Mini020609-01.dmp
    >>
    >> Turns out the one I just tested, is a sound driver crash.
    >>
    >> Paul

    > I found the Minidump folder, and there's one named Mini092709-01.dmp so that
    > might have the info needed to figure out the problem, but I haven't been able to
    > find Dumpchk even at the link you provided, nor have I been able to open it with
    > anything else.

    Did you download the file from here ? I downloaded this some time
    ago. The file is WindowsXP-KB838079-SupportTools-ENU.exe and
    is 4,934,480 bytes.

    http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/...61-BA8011FABF38&displaylang=en&displaylang=en

    Inside that file, are four files. (I use 7zip to open the file and
    tell me this. I can continue to burrow down inside the files as needed.)

    support.cab
    suptools.msi
    sup_pro.cab
    sup_srv.cab

    There is a dumpchk.exe in support.cab.

    I expect, if you just execute the download, the Microsoft package will
    install, and *somewhere* on your computer, you'll have dumpchk.exe.
    It is a tiny program, like 5KB or so. I copy that file into the
    minidump folder, so I don't have to worry about the execution
    path for it. Then, I run a command window, and CD to the minidump
    folder, then execute the command to parse the dump. Text gets dumped
    into the window, and you have to scroll back a bit, to see the
    whole thing.

    And if that isn't the case, and the Microsoft file doesn't install
    anything, then get a copy of 7ZIP and just continue extracting
    until you get it. On your first extraction, you'd get four files.
    Then, you'd use 7ZIP again, to extract the contents of support.cab .
    Then, you should have a large list of files, one of which is
    dumpchk.exe .

    7ZIP doesn't work on all CAB files. It won't touch ones from
    Installshield for example. But these CABs are open ones, so
    it works fine.

    HTH,
    Paul
    Paul, Sep 28, 2009
  7. dh@.

    Sjouke Burry Guest

    dh@. wrote:
    > On Sun, 27 Sep 2009 19:31:02 -0400, Paul <> wrote:
    >
    >> dh@. wrote:
    >>> I've been having a lot of trouble trying to get this computer to boot up lately. Sometimes I get the
    >>> option of starting in Safe Mode, and then restarting it will get it to start normally. I got an
    >>> error message that included this:
    >>>
    >>> BCCode : 100000ea BCP1 : 83158020 BCP2 : 83168F60 BCP3 : F8C68CB4
    >>> BCP4 : 00000001 OSVer : 5_1_2600 SP : 2_0 Product : 768_1
    >>>
    >>> C:\DOCUME~1\MIKEWA~1\LOCALS~1\Temp\WERb07f.dir00\Mini092409-02.dmp
    >>> C:\DOCUME~1\MIKEWA~1\LOCALS~1\Temp\WERb07f.dir00\sysdata.xml
    >>>
    >>> Can anyone explain anything about what all that means, and what to do about it?
    >>>
    >>> I've also been having trouble because of not having an MSVCRT40.dll file, so I downloaded it but
    >>> don't know exactly where I should put it. I also did a free scan that told me I've got over 200
    >>> problems with .dll files ect, but it would cost about $30 to "register" and get a working program to
    >>> fix the problems. I've tried something like that before and it was a waste of $30. Is there
    >>> something that really is free I could try to see if it helps?
    >>>
    >>> Thanks for any help!
    >>> David

    >> Could it be a variation on "Thread stuck in device driver" ?
    >> Check the stop codes here.
    >>
    >> http://aumha.org/a/stop.htm
    >>
    >> "Free scans" and magic fixes, aren't going to fix this. You need
    >> to determine what driver is doing it. Is the name of the driver
    >> in any of the error message ? Is there anything logged in
    >> Event Viewer ? Try to determine the driver at fault.
    >>
    >> Presumably that info is stored in the .dmp file.
    >>
    >> "How to read the small memory dump files that Windows creates for debugging"
    >>
    >> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/315263
    >>
    >> I don't have a dumpchk.exe on my C: drive. But I did find one
    >> via KB838079 and a download link. The download is here. Extract
    >> it, to get a "dumpchk.exe". (I use 7ZIP to extract the files, without
    >> installing anything.)
    >>
    >> http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/...A8011FABF38&amp;displaylang=en&displaylang=en
    >>
    >> I tried running dumpchk from a command window, using a dump file I
    >> found in C:\WINDOWS\minidump and it works. This is what I
    >> did in a command window.
    >>
    >> C:\WINDOWS\Minidump> dumpchk Mini020609-01.dmp
    >>
    >> Turns out the one I just tested, is a sound driver crash.
    >>
    >> Paul

    > I found the Minidump folder, and there's one named Mini092709-01.dmp so that
    > might have the info needed to figure out the problem, but I haven't been able to
    > find Dumpchk even at the link you provided, nor have I been able to open it with
    > anything else.

    M$ claims that it is part of service pack 2,support tools.
    The following is a list of all Support Tools in Service Pack 2:

    * acldiag.exe
    * activate.exe
    * addiag.exe
    * adprop.dll
    * adsiedit.msc
    * apimon.exe
    * apmstat.exe
    * bindiff.exe
    * bitsadmin.exe
    * browstat.exe
    * cabarc.exe
    * clonepr.dll
    * depends.exe
    * dfsutil.exe
    * dhcploc.exe
    * diruse.exe
    * dmdiag.exe
    * dnscmd.exe
    * dsacls.exe
    * dsastat.exe
    * dskprobe.exe
    * dumpchk.exe
    etc,etc,etc.

    It might be XP pro however.?
    Sjouke Burry, Sep 28, 2009
  8. dh@.

    critcher Guest

    <dh@.> wrote in message news:...
    > I've been having a lot of trouble trying to get this computer to boot up
    > lately. Sometimes I get the
    > option of starting in Safe Mode, and then restarting it will get it to
    > start normally. I got an
    > error message that included this:
    >
    > BCCode : 100000ea BCP1 : 83158020 BCP2 : 83168F60 BCP3 :
    > F8C68CB4
    > BCP4 : 00000001 OSVer : 5_1_2600 SP : 2_0 Product : 768_1
    >
    > C:\DOCUME~1\MIKEWA~1\LOCALS~1\Temp\WERb07f.dir00\Mini092409-02.dmp
    > C:\DOCUME~1\MIKEWA~1\LOCALS~1\Temp\WERb07f.dir00\sysdata.xml
    >
    > Can anyone explain anything about what all that means, and what to do
    > about it?
    >
    > I've also been having trouble because of not having an MSVCRT40.dll file,
    > so I downloaded it but
    > don't know exactly where I should put it. I also did a free scan that told
    > me I've got over 200
    > problems with .dll files ect, but it would cost about $30 to "register"
    > and get a working program to
    > fix the problems. I've tried something like that before and it was a waste
    > of $30. Is there
    > something that really is free I could try to see if it helps?
    >
    > Thanks for any help!
    > David

    get yourself combofix and run it, it will clear anything and set your
    machine right.
    critcher, Sep 29, 2009