Need help with another a+ test question

Discussion in 'A+ Certification' started by Bernie, May 10, 2004.

  1. Bernie

    Bernie Guest

    Here is another practice test question I am not sure about from
    Selftestsoftware.com.

    Question is:

    What is the default name of the system folder for the Windows XP operating
    system?

    There answer is "Windows"

    My answer was WINNT and it was marked as wrong answer.

    Problem is I have two xp computer here at home and the system folder in both
    are "WINNT"

    I did not load these computers, I bought them both from Gateway and this is
    the way they came.

    Is this another wrong answer or maybe Gateway changes the name of the
    default system folder.

    Thank you for your help

    Bernie

    Bernie, May 10, 2004

  2. "Bernie" <> wrote in message
    > Here is another practice test question I am not sure about from
    > Selftestsoftware.com.
    >
    > Question is:
    >
    > What is the default name of the system folder for the Windows XP operating
    > system?
    >
    > There answer is "Windows"
    >
    > My answer was WINNT and it was marked as wrong answer.
    >
    > Problem is I have two xp computer here at home and the system folder in

    both
    > are "WINNT"
    >
    > I did not load these computers, I bought them both from Gateway and this

    is
    > the way they came.
    >
    > Is this another wrong answer or maybe Gateway changes the name of the
    > default system folder.
    >
    > Thank you for your help
    >
    > Bernie

    As Windows XP is built on NT, the default system folder name should be
    WINNT. Of course, on mine it is "WINDOWS" because I upgraded it from ME
    once upon a blue moon. That website is wrong.

    Patrick Michael, May 10, 2004

  3. Bernie

    Bernie Guest

    Re: Need help with another a+ test question (followup)

    "Bernie" <> wrote in message
    > Here is another practice test question I am not sure about from
    > Selftestsoftware.com.
    >
    > Question is:
    >
    > What is the default name of the system folder for the Windows XP operating
    > system?
    >
    > There answer is "Windows"
    >
    > My answer was WINNT and it was marked as wrong answer.
    >
    > Problem is I have two xp computer here at home and the system folder in

    both
    > are "WINNT"
    >
    > I did not load these computers, I bought them both from Gateway and this

    is
    > the way they came.
    >
    > Is this another wrong answer or maybe Gateway changes the name of the
    > default system folder.
    >
    > Thank you for your help
    >
    > Bernie

    Follow up

    I contacted selftestsoftware.com about this answer and they assured me that
    "Windows" was the correct default system folder for Windows XP.

    I mentioned my two Gateway computers which were both bought with Windows XP
    and the system folders were WINNT. They told me that the folders were
    changed from there default name of Windows.

    I still do not think they are right, I can't seem to find it in my OS book,
    but you know how that goes, (when your lookin you cant find it).

    I will keep searching.

    Bernie Eshleman

    Bernie, May 10, 2004
  4. Bernie

    Ron Y Guest

    Re: Need help with another a+ test question (followup)

    > I contacted selftestsoftware.com about this answer and they assured me

    that
    > "Windows" was the correct default system folder for Windows XP.
    >
    > I mentioned my two Gateway computers which were both bought with Windows

    XP
    > and the system folders were WINNT. They told me that the folders were
    > changed from there default name of Windows.
    >
    > I still do not think they are right, I can't seem to find it in my OS

    book,
    > but you know how that goes, (when your lookin you cant find it).
    >
    > I will keep searching.
    >
    > Bernie Eshleman

    My XP machine, which I installed XP using clean install, has Windows as the
    default System folder.

    Ron Y, May 10, 2004
  5. Bernie

    Chris E Guest

    Running XP Pro and, yes, Windows is the system folder. At first I thought
    you were right, but it looks like Windows is the right answer.

    Chris
    A+, Net+

    Chris E, May 10, 2004
  6. Bernie

    Chris E Guest

    Took a look at one of my w2K systems, and WINNT is the default system folder
    in that OS. Both are built on NT technology, but it seems Microsoft changed
    the default system folder to "Windows" within XP.

    Chris
    A+, Net+

    Chris E, May 10, 2004
  7. "Patrick Michael" <> wrote in message

    > As Windows XP is built on NT, the default system folder name should be
    > WINNT. Of course, on mine it is "WINDOWS" because I upgraded it from ME
    > once upon a blue moon. That website is wrong.

    OK, looks like I was wrong! That's pretty strange, as my friend's HP laptop
    had WINNT as the system folder.

    Patrick Michael, May 10, 2004
  8. Bernie

    bobG Guest

    "Ron Y" <> wrote in message news:<>...

    > > I contacted selftestsoftware.com about this answer and they assured me

    > that
    > > "Windows" was the correct default system folder for Windows XP.
    > >
    > > I mentioned my two Gateway computers which were both bought with Windows

    > XP
    > > and the system folders were WINNT. They told me that the folders were
    > > changed from there default name of Windows.
    > >
    > > I still do not think they are right, I can't seem to find it in my OS

    > book,
    > > but you know how that goes, (when your lookin you cant find it).
    > >
    > > I will keep searching.
    > >
    > > Bernie Eshleman
    > >

    > My XP machine, which I installed XP using clean install, has Windows as the
    > default System folder.

    From Michael Meyers' All-in-One 5th edition,p.628: "On a clean
    installation, Setup creates a folder named Windows in C:\ into which
    it installs the OS, creating appropriate subfolders below this
    folder."

    bobG, May 11, 2004
  9. Re: Need help with another a+ test question (followup)

    On 10 May 2004 19:08:35 -0700, (bobG) wrote:

    >"Ron Y" <> wrote in message news:<>...
    >> >
    >> > I contacted selftestsoftware.com about this answer and they assured me

    >> that
    >> > "Windows" was the correct default system folder for Windows XP.
    >> >
    >> > I mentioned my two Gateway computers which were both bought with Windows

    >> XP
    >> > and the system folders were WINNT. They told me that the folders were
    >> > changed from there default name of Windows.
    >> >
    >> > I still do not think they are right, I can't seem to find it in my OS

    >> book,
    >> > but you know how that goes, (when your lookin you cant find it).
    >> >
    >> > I will keep searching.
    >> >
    >> > Bernie Eshleman
    >> >

    >> My XP machine, which I installed XP using clean install, has Windows as the
    >> default System folder.

    >From Michael Meyers' All-in-One 5th edition,p.628: "On a clean
    >installation, Setup creates a folder named Windows in C:\ into which
    >it installs the OS, creating appropriate subfolders below this
    >folder."

    He should have added:

    - UNLESS it is manually changed, or an installation is over an
    earlier OS, in which cae it may be WINNT (or could equally be anything
    else you like).

    The defaults are:

    Windows 95, 98, XP: C;\windows
    Windows NT, 2000 C:\winnt

    I can't remember Windows Me, and I frankly don't care. I know that it
    is still in the A+ objectives, but that's scandalous!

    Gordon

    Gordon Findlay, May 11, 2004
  10. Bernie

    Charlie Guest

    Re: Need help with another a+ test question (followup)

    "Bernie" <> wrote in message news:<>...
    > "Bernie" <> wrote in message
    > > Here is another practice test question I am not sure about from
    > > Selftestsoftware.com.
    > >
    > > Question is:
    > >
    > > What is the default name of the system folder for the Windows XP operating
    > > system?
    > >
    > > There answer is "Windows"
    > >
    > > My answer was WINNT and it was marked as wrong answer.
    > >
    > > Problem is I have two xp computer here at home and the system folder in

    > both
    > > are "WINNT"
    > >
    > > I did not load these computers, I bought them both from Gateway and this

    > is
    > > the way they came.
    > >
    > > Is this another wrong answer or maybe Gateway changes the name of the
    > > default system folder.
    > >
    > > Thank you for your help
    > >
    > > Bernie

    > Follow up
    >
    > I contacted selftestsoftware.com about this answer and they assured me that
    > "Windows" was the correct default system folder for Windows XP.
    >
    > I mentioned my two Gateway computers which were both bought with Windows XP
    > and the system folders were WINNT. They told me that the folders were
    > changed from there default name of Windows.
    >
    > I still do not think they are right, I can't seem to find it in my OS book,
    > but you know how that goes, (when your lookin you cant find it).
    >
    > I will keep searching.
    >
    > Bernie Eshleman

    I just recently did a clean install of Windows XP, and I have
    c:\WINDOWS. It's very possible that Gateway had a custome OEM version
    of Windows that they use to do installs on their machine which
    utilizes the c:\WINNT.

    I'm pretty sure that W2K still used WINNT, so maybe they just carried
    it over from 2K for some reason.

    Charlie, May 11, 2004
  11. Bernie

    bobG Guest

    Gordon Findlay <> wrote in message news:<>...

    > that

    > XP

    > book,

    > >> My XP machine, which I installed XP using clean install, has Windows as the
    > >> default System folder.

    > >From Michael Meyers' All-in-One 5th edition,p.628: "On a clean
    > >installation, Setup creates a folder named Windows in C:\ into which
    > >it installs the OS, creating appropriate subfolders below this
    > >folder."

    > He should have added:
    >
    > - UNLESS it is manually changed, or an installation is over an
    > earlier OS, in which cae it may be WINNT (or could equally be anything
    > else you like).
    >
    > The defaults are:
    >
    > Windows 95, 98, XP: C;\windows
    > Windows NT, 2000 C:\winnt
    >
    > I can't remember Windows Me, and I frankly don't care. I know that it
    > is still in the A+ objectives, but that's scandalous!
    >
    > Gordon

    For those who might want to know, ME is installed by default to C:\Windows.

    bobG, May 12, 2004
  12. Bernie

    bobG Guest

    (Charlie) wrote in message news:<>...
    > "Bernie" <> wrote in message news:<>...
    > > "Bernie" <> wrote in message
    > > > Here is another practice test question I am not sure about from
    > > > Selftestsoftware.com.
    > > >
    > > > Question is:
    > > >
    > > > What is the default name of the system folder for the Windows XP operating
    > > > system?
    > > >
    > > > There answer is "Windows"
    > > >
    > > > My answer was WINNT and it was marked as wrong answer.
    > > >
    > > > Problem is I have two xp computer here at home and the system folder in

    > both
    > > > are "WINNT"
    > > >
    > > > I did not load these computers, I bought them both from Gateway and this

    > is
    > > > the way they came.
    > > >
    > > > Is this another wrong answer or maybe Gateway changes the name of the
    > > > default system folder.
    > > >
    > > > Thank you for your help
    > > >
    > > > Bernie

    > > Follow up
    > >
    > > I contacted selftestsoftware.com about this answer and they assured me that
    > > "Windows" was the correct default system folder for Windows XP.
    > >
    > > I mentioned my two Gateway computers which were both bought with Windows XP
    > > and the system folders were WINNT. They told me that the folders were
    > > changed from there default name of Windows.
    > >
    > > I still do not think they are right, I can't seem to find it in my OS book,
    > > but you know how that goes, (when your lookin you cant find it).
    > >
    > > I will keep searching.
    > >
    > > Bernie Eshleman
    > >

    > I just recently did a clean install of Windows XP, and I have
    > c:\WINDOWS. It's very possible that Gateway had a custome OEM version
    > of Windows that they use to do installs on their machine which
    > utilizes the c:\WINNT.
    >
    > I'm pretty sure that W2K still used WINNT, so maybe they just carried
    > it over from 2K for some reason.

    Win2k does, as it's default in a clean retail install,which I have
    recently performed, use C:\WINNT. I also recently installed it over
    Win98, and so it's default location in that instance is C:\WINDOWS,
    where Win98 used to reside.

    bobG, May 12, 2004