    remember what it was now. Does anyone know how can I get this working? I
    appreciate your help.

    Adam
    Adam, Jan 3, 2006

  2. Adam

    philo Guest

    Adam wrote:
    > The other day my Windows (XP pro) crashed. I have a 40GB hard drive and a
    > 200GB hard drive. Both drives are Maxtors. I like to make my 40GB my main
    > drive. I heard that Windows XP doesn't recognize any hard drive more than
    > 120GB. Is that true?

    <snip>

    nope that's not true at all...
    of course it's possible your machines bios may have a problem
    philo, Jan 3, 2006

  3. Adam

    10_4 Guest

    "Adam" <> wrote in message
    > The other day my Windows (XP pro) crashed. I have a 40GB hard drive and a
    > 200GB hard drive. Both drives are Maxtors. I like to make my 40GB my
    > main drive. I heard that Windows XP doesn't recognize any hard drive more
    > than 120GB. Is that true?
    >

    > Originally, I had both drives working. I have a SCSI card in my hard
    > drive. I remember last year when I put it in. I had to press something
    > (F-something button) during the windows installation. Then it would load
    > a driver of some sort that it would recognize the D drive. But I can't
    > remember what it was now. Does anyone know how can I get this working? I
    > appreciate your help.
    >

    > Adam

    Sounds like you are a bit confused. Hard drives do not come with SCSI cards
    in them. You may have a SCSI card installed in a PCI slot on the
    motherboard inside you tower is more like it.

    Pressing F6 when prompted during the installation will allow you to install
    a third party driver for a SCSI card. Be sure you have the driver handy
    just in case Windows does not.

    Good luck!
    10_4, Jan 3, 2006
  4. "Adam" <> wrote in message
    > The other day my Windows (XP pro) crashed. I have a 40GB hard drive and a
    > 200GB hard drive. Both drives are Maxtors. I like to make my 40GB my
    > main drive. I heard that Windows XP doesn't recognize any hard drive more
    > than 120GB. Is that true?
    >

    > Originally, I had both drives working. I have a SCSI card in my hard
    > drive. I remember last year when I put it in. I had to press something
    > (F-something button) during the windows installation. Then it would load
    > a driver of some sort that it would recognize the D drive. But I can't
    > remember what it was now. Does anyone know how can I get this working? I
    > appreciate your help.
    >

    > Adam

    I have a 13 GB HD and a 240 GB hard drive in my system with no problem.
    Atlas Shrugged, Jan 3, 2006
  5. Adam

    Toolman Tim Guest

    In news:,
    10_4 spewed forth:
    > "Adam" <> wrote in message
    >>
    >> Originally, I had both drives working. I have a SCSI card in my hard
    >> drive.

    > Sounds like you are a bit confused. Hard drives do not come with
    > SCSI cards in them.

    It's pretty amazing how many people call their system a "hard drive" or a
    "cpu". It's a "box", or a "tower", or a "system", or a "PC", or probably
    lots of other names/nicks*- but the amazing lack of education just scares me
    <g>

    *my favorite nickname for the old tube-type HAM radios was "pizza warmer".
    Boy, they could sure do that :)

    Toolman Tim, Jan 3, 2006
  6. Adam

    fred-bloggs Guest

    "Adam" <> wrote in

    > The other day my Windows (XP pro) crashed. I have a 40GB hard drive
    > and a 200GB hard drive. Both drives are Maxtors. I like to make my
    > 40GB my main drive. I heard that Windows XP doesn't recognize any
    > hard drive more than 120GB. Is that true?

    The original XP wouldn't support hard disks larger than 137 GB. You need
    XP with SP1 at least.
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;303013

    > Originally, I had both drives working. I have a SCSI card in my hard
    > drive. I remember last year when I put it in. I had to press
    > something (F-something button) during the windows installation. Then
    > it would load a driver of some sort that it would recognize the D
    > drive. But I can't remember what it was now. Does anyone know how
    > can I get this working? I appreciate your help.

    As you aren't using the 200 GB drive for windows, you can install the
    SCSI driver _after_ you have installed XP and the necessary updates.

    --
    fred
    fred-bloggs, Jan 3, 2006
  7. Adam

    10_4 Guest

    "Toolman Tim" <> wrote in message
    > In news:,
    > 10_4 spewed forth:
    >> "Adam" <> wrote in message
    >>>
    >>> Originally, I had both drives working. I have a SCSI card in my hard
    >>> drive.

    >> Sounds like you are a bit confused. Hard drives do not come with
    >> SCSI cards in them.

    > It's pretty amazing how many people call their system a "hard drive" or a
    > "cpu". It's a "box", or a "tower", or a "system", or a "PC", or probably
    > lots of other names/nicks*- but the amazing lack of education just scares
    > me <g>
    >

    > *my favorite nickname for the old tube-type HAM radios was "pizza warmer".
    > Boy, they could sure do that :)
    >
    > --
    > Whenever I think of the past, it brings back so many memories...

    Tim,

    My all time favorite is when the computer is called a modem. Talked on the
    phone with a client several minutes discussing modem problems when I finally
    figured out she was talking about the computer in general. Diagnostics
    proved to have a failed hard drive.
    10_4, Jan 3, 2006
  8. Adam

    Toolman Tim Guest

    In news:,
    10_4 spewed forth:
    > "Toolman Tim" <> wrote in message
    >> In news:,
    >> 10_4 spewed forth:
    >>> "Adam" <> wrote in message

    >>> Sounds like you are a bit confused. Hard drives do not come with
    >>> SCSI cards in them.

    >> It's pretty amazing how many people call their system a "hard drive"
    >> or a "cpu". It's a "box", or a "tower", or a "system", or a "PC", or
    >> probably lots of other names/nicks*- but the amazing lack of
    >> education just scares me <g>
    >>

    >> *my favorite nickname for the old tube-type HAM radios was "pizza
    >> warmer". Boy, they could sure do that :)
    >>
    >> --
    >> Whenever I think of the past, it brings back so many memories...
    >>

    > Tim,
    >
    > My all time favorite is when the computer is called a modem. Talked
    > on the phone with a client several minutes discussing modem problems
    > when I finally figured out she was talking about the computer in
    > general. Diagnostics proved to have a failed hard drive.

    Exactly <g>! And think how much time it took to get that far...time you (and
    the client) can never recover.

    Toolman Tim, Jan 3, 2006
  9. Adam

    Plato Guest

    Adam wrote:

    > drive. I heard that Windows XP doesn't recognize any hard drive more than
    > 120GB. Is that true?

    No.

    --
    http://www.bootdisk.com/
    Plato, Jan 5, 2006
  10. Adam

    Plato Guest

    Toolman Tim wrote:

    > *my favorite nickname for the old tube-type HAM radios was "pizza warmer".
    > Boy, they could sure do that :)

    I always had the thought of getting into that, including of course
    adding the notorious 30 foot antenna.

    But, I'm in a low area next to a river, just a few feet above sea level
    with hills around, and there is email, which of couse lets you talk
    world wide.
    Plato, Jan 5, 2006
  11. Adam

    Toolman Tim Guest

    In news:43bca07c$4$501$,
    Plato spewed forth:
    > Toolman Tim wrote:
    >>
    >> *my favorite nickname for the old tube-type HAM radios was "pizza
    >> warmer". Boy, they could sure do that :)

    > I always had the thought of getting into that, including of course
    > adding the notorious 30 foot antenna.
    >
    > But, I'm in a low area next to a river, just a few feet above sea
    > level with hills around, and there is email, which of couse lets you
    > talk world wide.

    Yup. Agreed. Dad did some HAM, and had friends in that. But this
    international newsgroup, email, chat, instant messaging stuff that our
    computers can do is just as much fun.

    The closest thing I had to a pizza warmer was a couple of tube type stereo
    receiver/amp setups. One was Kenwood, another was Sansui. Like an idiot I
    have them both away in the 1980's or so. I'd love to have them back now :(

    Although I did recently pick up an H. H. Scott stereo (free, of course!)
    but I think it was a kit and may need serious re-work. And it's so old I bet
    I'll need to replace a bunch of caps. The resistors should be good, but I'll
    have to clean all the contacts for the tubes, clean all the switches, etc.
    It's a tedious job, but if I can get it running "clean" I'll work on a
    cabinet for it too. This one has the amp separate from the receiver, which
    is FM only and an add-on FM multiplexer unit. It's so old, I bet it's set up
    for ceramic pickup instead of magnetic...

    Toolman Tim, Jan 5, 2006
  12. Adam

    Plato Guest

    Toolman Tim wrote:

    > The closest thing I had to a pizza warmer was a couple of tube type stereo
    > receiver/amp setups. One was Kenwood, another was Sansui. Like an idiot I
    > have them both away in the 1980's or so. I'd love to have them back now :(

    I want a an old Sansui, and perhaps a pair of JBL L-100 speakers.

    Plato, Jan 5, 2006
  13. Adam

    Toolman Tim Guest

    In news:43bdb09a$0$439$,
    Plato spewed forth:
    > Toolman Tim wrote:
    >>
    >> The closest thing I had to a pizza warmer was a couple of tube type
    >> stereo receiver/amp setups. One was Kenwood, another was Sansui.
    >> Like an idiot I have them both away in the 1980's or so. I'd love to
    >> have them back now :(

    > I want a an old Sansui, and perhaps a pair of JBL L-100 speakers.

    Exactly - some of the classics can't be beat.
    Toolman Tim, Jan 6, 2006