    steering into the right direction so that both may use the internet.

    thanks --eric

    Do not rely to my email address listed, its a fake for spammers.
    captain knobs, Jun 26, 2008

  2. The first thing I would try it to see if there is a way to connect the HG
    Antenna to a wireless "router",...or if there are similar HG Antennas that
    can be purchased as assessories for the "router".

    There are also Satelite based Internet connection servicesvia Direct TV,
    Dish Network, and a few others and they would run at about "low end"
    broadband speeds above 256k but below 1mbps.

    If that isn't possible then add the other Wireless nic to the Laptop and
    configure an Ad hoc network between this laptop and the other using this
    second Nic. Then you would enable Internet Connection Sharing (ICS) on the
    wireless adapter with the HG Antenna. Sounds like a "hack" to me and I
    doubt it would be dependable, but as far as I know that would be the
    approach.

    --
    Phillip Windell
    www.wandtv.com

    Phillip Windell, Jun 26, 2008

  3. Hi
    In order to share the connection you need a Wireless Router.
    To be able to feed the Router WAN (Internet port) from your remote Wireless
    source you need to plug a Wireless Card that does not need Drivers (Game Box
    type of Wireless Card).
    Get a card that can be fitted with your current High Gain Antenna configure
    it to feed a Wireless Router. Plug or use the Wireless for you computers.
    Example for a card,
    http://www.linksys.com/servlet/Sate...nksys/Common/VisitorWrapper&cid=1134692497433
    (I do not know about the Antenna fit check it, otherwise all major vendor
    offers Wireless like this).
    This page describes in principle Wireless Bridging,
    http://www.ezlan.net/bridging.html
    Jack (MVP-Networking).

    Jack \(MVP-Networking\)., Jun 27, 2008
  4. Thanks for the suggestions but here is another part to my delima. THe
    usb transciever is a ALFA high output. I have it mounted at the
    directional antenna on the roof and then am using a usb active cable
    to extend my usb connection into my house. i really don t want to
    change my usb device. are there not any solutions for having the
    desktop connected to the wifi and pass the net connection thru the
    ethernet or pass it to another local wifi dongle to rebroadcast inside
    the home?

    Thanks again for your time -eric
    captain knobs, Jun 27, 2008
  5. captain knobs

    MarkSatterfield

    Joined:
    Jan 26, 2008
    Messages:
    77
    Location:
    Central Florida
    As a previous poster listed, you should be able to enable ad-hoc wireless networking on your desktop and laptop, then use Connection Sharing in Windows to enable pass through routing from your desktop to the remote ad-hoc devices.

    Also, you may consider re-engineering your infrastructure by attaching a Linksys Range Expander or wireless repeater. In this case, put the Range Expander on a tall antenna mount and provide power to the unit. The repeater will then relay the single to wireless computers in your home -- and in your neighbor's homes. Cost is around $100.

    --Mark

    http://www.marksatterfield.com
    Last edited: Jun 27, 2008
    MarkSatterfield, Jun 27, 2008
  6. captain knobs

    Lem Guest

    captain knobs wrote:
    > Thanks for the suggestions but here is another part to my delima. THe
    > usb transciever is a ALFA high output. I have it mounted at the
    > directional antenna on the roof and then am using a usb active cable
    > to extend my usb connection into my house. i really don t want to
    > change my usb device. are there not any solutions for having the
    > desktop connected to the wifi and pass the net connection thru the
    > ethernet or pass it to another local wifi dongle to rebroadcast inside
    > the home?
    >
    > Thanks again for your time -eric

    If I can restate your question slightly:

    - You have the Internet connection on a USB cable and do not want to
    change this.
    - The USB cable currently is connected to a desktop.
    - You'd like a laptop to be able to share the Internet connection.

    With a USB source, your only option is to use Windows Internet
    Connection Sharing (unless you find a wireless router with a USB WAN
    input, but I don't think such devices exist). It's not as flexible as
    using a router, but if you insist on retaining the USB connection to the
    antenna, that's what you have. Essentially, you will be using the
    desktop as a router, and thus the laptop will only be able to access the
    Internet while the desktop is powered up and active.

    Usually, ICS is used for a wired local network, using a second Ethernet
    NIC (or, in your case, a first NIC because your Internet connection is
    USB). If you *really* want wireless to the laptop, you can either add a
    wireless NIC to your desktop and create an ad hoc wireless link, as
    Phillip Windell suggested or you can connect the desktop's wired NIC to
    a wireless access point. For the latter, see Jack's site for how to
    configure a wireless router as a wireless access point:
    http://www.ezlan.net/router_AP.html

    For general ICS information, see
    http://practicallynetworked.com/sharing/xp_ics/

    --