    notepad windows when windows loads but can't seem to resolve this issue & I
    don't have restore running

    HELP !

    chris, Apr 3, 2004

  2. chris

    chris Guest

    One more thing..Just downloaded Spybot & saved to my desktop..Clicked on
    prog & up comes notepad

    "chris" <> wrote in message
    > Must have gotten a flu from the Net, @ first I was trying to open Media
    > Player from a short cut on my desktop. Noticed everytime I tried a little
    > icon popped up by my clock I could not click on it but placing the mouse
    > over it says -100 then it goes away after about 5 sec...So I went into the
    > properties of the shortcut & had it open with Notepad just to see what

    would
    > happen. Now all of my shortcuts & most prog open with notepad. Even when I
    > go into my programs & select word it open in Notepad. When the computer
    > comes up the programs that load on the systray are coming up in notepad

    just
    > with wording that you can't understand. I can use the PC as far as
    > connecting to the internet I can click on IE from my desktop & my

    computer.

    chris, Apr 3, 2004

  3. chris

    chris Guest

    Even tried to download & select open & not save & still it open in
    Notepad...Here is what the File location says for the Spybot prog I just
    downloaded that now opens in Notepad

    C:\Documents and Settings\Owner.YOUR-SZ6X6SEFXO\Desktop

    &

    chris, Apr 3, 2004
  4. chris

    °Mike° Guest

    Try this first. Go to your Windows folder and rename
    Notepad.exe to Notepad.com. Double click on Notepad.com
    and copy/paste the following into Notepad. Note that
    everything between [ and ] MUST be one line only, and
    there must be a blank line at the end of the file. Save
    the file as "exe-fix.reg" (without the quotes) and right
    click and 'Merge' the file into your registry. This is to
    fix the executable file association in the registry.
    Rename Notepad.com back to Notepad.exe .

    ***** <--- Omit this line
    Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

    [HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\.exe]
    @="exefile"
    "Content Type"="application/x-msdownload"

    [HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\.exe\PersistentHandler]
    @="{098f2470-bae0-11cd-b579-08002b30bfeb}"

    [HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\exefile]
    @="Application"
    "EditFlags"=hex:38,07,00,00
    "TileInfo"="prop:FileDescription;Company;FileVersion"
    "InfoTip"="prop:FileDescription;Company;FileVersion;Create;Size"

    [HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\exefile\DefaultIcon]
    @="%1"

    [HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\exefile\shell]

    [HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\exefile\shell\open]
    "EditFlags"=hex:00,00,00,00

    [HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\exefile\shell\open\command]
    @="\"%1\" %*"

    [HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\exefile\shell\runas]

    [HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\exefile\shell\runas\command]
    @="\"%1\" %*"

    [HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\exefile\shellex]

    [HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\exefile\shellex\ContextMenuHandlers]

    [HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\exefile\shellex\DropHandler]
    @="{86C86720-42A0-1069-A2E8-08002B30309D}"

    [HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\exefile\shellex\PropertySheetHandlers]

    [HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\exefile\shellex\PropertySheetHandlers\PifProps]
    @="{86F19A00-42A0-1069-A2E9-08002B30309D}"

    [HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\exefile\shellex\PropertySheetHandlers\ShimLayer
    Property Page]
    @="{513D916F-2A8E-4F51-AEAB-0CBC76FB1AF8}"

    ***** <--- Omit this line

    On Sat, 03 Apr 2004 00:37:51 GMT, in
    <zHnbc.31712$>
    chris scrawled:

    --
    Basic computer maintenance

    °Mike°, Apr 3, 2004
  5. chris

    chris Guest

    Thanks for the reply,

    I tried it & when you say everything must be on one line I take it you mean
    each reg entry must have be on it own line & not all together I copied that
    into notepad saved it then merged but still when I click on an Icon I get
    Crap like this

    MZP    ÿÿ ¸ @  Inno-ã7 hÈÿ  º ´
    Í!¸LÍ!This program must be run under Win32
    $7
    PE L ^B* à  ¸ P ~¿  Ð @
    ?    @     ^ P $
    0  CODE P¶  ¸
     `DATA à Ð  ¼ @ ÀBSS ~ ð
    Ô À.idata ^   Ô @ À.tls

    chris, Apr 3, 2004
  6. chris

    °Mike° Guest

    Copy and paste and make sure that ANY lines
    that begin with a square bracket [ and end in
    a square bracket ] are ONE LINE ONLY. All
    other lines should be copied EXACTLY.

    Do NOT include ***** <--- Omit this line .

    On Sat, 03 Apr 2004 01:08:16 GMT, in
    <48obc.31722$>
    chris scrawled:

    >Thanks for the reply,
    >
    >I tried it & when you say everything must be on one line I take it you mean
    >each reg entry must have be on it own line & not all together I copied that
    >into notepad saved it then merged but still when I click on an Icon I get
    >Crap like this
    >

    >MZP

      ÿÿ ¸ @  Inno-ã7 hÈÿ
    º ´
    >Í!¸

    LÍ!??This program must be run under Win32
    >$7
    >PE L

     ^B* à ??

     ¸ P ~¿  Ð @

    >?

     @
    ^ P
    $
    >0

     CODE P¶  ¸

     Ô @ À.tls

    °Mike°, Apr 3, 2004
  7. chris

    Unk Guest

    Reassociate shortcut links.
    See: LNK (Shortcut) File Association Fix (Restores Default Shortcut
    Behavior)

    See: EXE File Association Fix (Restore default association for EXE files)

    Unk, Apr 3, 2004
  8. chris

    chris Guest

    Switched user's & everything works using my wife's account...Any Ideas how
    to fix mine

    chris, Apr 3, 2004