    there seems to be nothing I can locate about DVD quality and why this
    happens. Can anyone help me out?

    Thanks!

    Sens Fan Happy In OH, Apr 28, 2008

  2. Sens Fan Happy In OH

    Tony Guest

    Haven't a clue what you're trying to get across but you should have AnyDVD
    running in the background when you're copying a dvd.

    --
    The 3, 2, 1 master of the CyberFROG

    Tony, Apr 28, 2008

  3. Sens Fan Happy In OH

    Tony Guest

    Use AnyDVD with DVD2one and some sort of copying software. Double click on
    the VIDEO_TS folder on the drive letter that the dvd is in if you use
    DVD2one. AnyDVD can also copy high defintion dvd's if you use AnyDVD HD.

    --
    The 3, 2, 1 master of the CyberFROG

    Tony, Apr 28, 2008
  4. Sens Fan Happy In OH

    PeeCee Guest

    "Sens Fan Happy In OH" <> wrote in message
    >A friend of mine is having me burn copies of her kids' DVDs so that
    > the originals will still be in pristine condition and the copies can
    > be damaged - as most kids usually do with DVDs. But I am having some
    > issues with copies not working and I've never run into this before!
    >
    > After putting the DVD in to be copied I've been getting a lot of the
    > discs coming up with less than 100% video quality. When I burned one
    > for her anyhow it took almost 3-times as long to copy and when she
    > tested it at home it didn't work at all. I've tried to look online but
    > there seems to be nothing I can locate about DVD quality and why this
    > happens. Can anyone help me out?
    >
    > Thanks!

    Read & learn

    http://www.videohelp.com/dvdbackup

    Best
    Paul.

    PeeCee, Apr 28, 2008
  5. Sens Fan Happy In OH

    Guest

    Sens Fan Happy In OH <> wrote:

    >A friend of mine is having me burn copies of her kids' DVDs so that
    >the originals will still be in pristine condition and the copies can
    >be damaged - as most kids usually do with DVDs. But I am having some
    >issues with copies not working and I've never run into this before!

    DVD's CD's have always scared me about their reliability, a scratch,
    too much heat, left in the sun, all have the potential of destroying
    data.

    VCR's have a marginally better life span over Recordable CD/DVD's.
    (these are the ones that take light to switch a bit)

    I have always trusted Floppy disk over CD's for storage, but the
    floppy has become too small.

    Smart cards I think are the way to go, any of them, just a little till
    they are a bit cheaper and I stick everything to them.

    Only problem is you have to hope the technology is around when you
    need to read them.

    I do believe, to save stuff long term CD/Dvd's is a bad way to go,
    but technology has made it the only storage median capable of doing
    so.
    --

    very impressive group setting
    http://ginasiomental.com/016.jpg

    , Apr 29, 2008
  6. Sens Fan Happy In OH

    Guest

    Sens Fan Happy In OH <> wrote:

    >After putting the DVD in to be copied I've been getting a lot of the
    >discs coming up with less than 100% video quality. When I burned one
    >for her anyhow it took almost 3-times as long to copy and when she
    >tested it at home it didn't work at all.

    Oh ya, reboot after each session.

    It not only clears the cache, but it clears your SRAM which your sure
    to have somewhere.

    Sram info will survive a reboot - a cold boot is needed to clear it;
    turn off, count to 10. restart.
    --

    very impressive group setting
    http://ginasiomental.com/016.jpg

    , Apr 29, 2008
  7. Sens Fan Happy In OH

    CoMa Guest

    >A friend of mine is having me burn copies of her kids' DVDs so that
    >the originals will still be in pristine condition and the copies can
    >be damaged - as most kids usually do with DVDs. But I am having some
    >issues with copies not working and I've never run into this before!

    Sounds like a DVD copy protection issue.

    What program do you use to make the copies ?

    To get working copies I would use these 3 freeware programs

    DVDFab HD Decrypter
    to ripp the DVD to the harddrive
    http://dvdfab.com/free.htm

    DVD Shrink
    to compress the ripped DVD so if fit on a single sided DVD+R disc (4.7Gb)
    http://www.afterdawn.com/software/video_software/dvd_rippers/dvd_shrink.cfm

    ImgBurn
    to burn the ripped/compressed DVD to a DVD+R disc
    http://www.imgburn.com/

    CoMa, Apr 29, 2008
  8. Sens Fan Happy In OH

    Badger Guest

    >A friend of mine is having me burn copies of her kids' DVDs so that
    > the originals will still be in pristine condition and the copies can
    > be damaged - as most kids usually do with DVDs. But I am having some
    > issues with copies not working and I've never run into this before!
    >
    > After putting the DVD in to be copied I've been getting a lot of the
    > discs coming up with less than 100% video quality. When I burned one
    > for her anyhow it took almost 3-times as long to copy and when she
    > tested it at home it didn't work at all. I've tried to look online but
    > there seems to be nothing I can locate about DVD quality and why this
    > happens. Can anyone help me out?
    >
    > Thanks!

    Most likely the cause is inferior media. Not all DVDs are the same quality.
    What brand are the discs? I personally have found Verbatim discs to be the
    most reliable.
    By the way, Googling for "DVD quality" returned 9,888,000 hits so I don't
    know why you couldn't find anything on the subject.
    Badger

    Badger, Apr 29, 2008