Need help understanding security requirements

Discussion in 'Computer Security' started by Steve Smith, Jun 8, 2005.

  1. Steve Smith

    Steve Smith Guest

    I do free lance marketing and advertising and I have a prospective client
    who says my computers must meet certain requirements before they will do
    business with me. They listed the following:

    Digital Certificate (including CAC)

    Microsoft Cryptographic Application Programming Interface (Crypto API)

    Dynamic Linked Library version 2.0.0.0

    I don't know what these items are. Can someone please enlighten me? I have
    Windows XP Pro on one computer and XP Home on a second computer. I use
    Outlook Express for email. Do I already meet any of these requirements and
    if not, what would I need to do to meet these requirements?

    Thank you,

    Steve Smith

    Steve Smith, Jun 8, 2005

  2. Steve Smith

    nemo_outis Guest

    "Steve Smith" <> wrote in

    > I do free lance marketing and advertising and I have a prospective
    > client who says my computers must meet certain requirements before
    > they will do business with me. They listed the following:
    >
    > Digital Certificate (including CAC)
    >
    > Microsoft Cryptographic Application Programming Interface (Crypto API)
    >
    > Dynamic Linked Library version 2.0.0.0
    >

    > I don't know what these items are. Can someone please enlighten me? I
    > have Windows XP Pro on one computer and XP Home on a second computer.
    > I use Outlook Express for email. Do I already meet any of these
    > requirements and if not, what would I need to do to meet these
    > requirements?
    >
    > Thank you,
    >
    > Steve Smith

    OK, I'm going to be a pain in the ass; but, I assure you, my motives are
    pure :)

    The three things you listed are labels, names, buzzwords, and NOT
    requirements. Without being as abrasive a prick as I am, you should
    demand (request?) that your client make clear what it is *exactly* that
    he wants.

    However, using guesswork and softening my stance a little, I assume your
    client is obliged to conform to (or has adopted independently) certain US
    DoD & GSA requirements which do "specify" (I'm using the word loosely)
    some of the above buzzwords.

    In short, these requirements mandate certain authentication methods
    (digital certificates) possibly to be used in conjunction with CaCs
    (common access cards - aka smartcards). That is, to get access to their
    (DoD/GSA) computer systems you must have certain authentication
    credentials and run on a modern operating system (Windows XP & IE
    qualifies - i.e., uses crypto API/DLL 2.0 - which tells you something
    about how artificial all this shit is!)
    ..
    As a Canadian I'm delightfully free of this bureaucratic morass, so
    that's about as far along the path as I can take you. Bonne chance!

    Regards,

    PS Here's one company that supplies certificates:

    http://www.digsigtrust.com/federal/dod_2.html

    nemo_outis, Jun 9, 2005

  3. Steve Smith

    Winged Guest

    Steve Smith wrote:
    > I do free lance marketing and advertising and I have a prospective client
    > who says my computers must meet certain requirements before they will do
    > business with me. They listed the following:
    >
    > Digital Certificate (including CAC)
    >
    > Microsoft Cryptographic Application Programming Interface (Crypto API)
    >
    > Dynamic Linked Library version 2.0.0.0
    >

    > I don't know what these items are. Can someone please enlighten me? I have
    > Windows XP Pro on one computer and XP Home on a second computer. I use
    > Outlook Express for email. Do I already meet any of these requirements and
    > if not, what would I need to do to meet these requirements?
    >
    > Thank you,
    >
    > Steve Smith

    You have the crypto API, and the DLL. The CAC is a smart card that
    contains a digital certificate. Word of warning here as there are
    several CAC types available and you may need to be cognizant of which
    CAC certificate compatibility is required and the required cert length
    as there are several cert types used by different entities. Obviously
    you will also need a compatible CAC reader and supporting CAC software.

    Typical smartcards (CAC) run about $50 to $75 Readers run under 50$ and
    the authentication software for the CAC typically runs about $100 (low
    quantities).

    I believe you will also need Outlook instead of Outlook express.
    Typically that runs about $100 by itself or about $400 if you by the MS
    office suite. I have been unsuccessful in getting CAC to authenticate
    successfully in Firefox (web transactions). It has required IE 5.5 or
    above to successfully do web CAC authentication, your mileage may vary.

    Q: Do they indicate who the cert authority will be? There is typically
    a charge for this service and for writing the certificates to the CAC.

    Winged

    Winged, Jun 9, 2005