Need help trying to recover pics from corrupt sd card

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by Mark, Nov 27, 2006.

  1. Mark

    Mark Guest

    Sorry long post but want to be as thorough as possible...

    I made a stupid mistake and decided not to download pictures to my notebook
    each night while on a cruise vacation last week. I brought a 512m, 256m and
    a couple 128m cards with me and figured it'd be enough storage.

    I had about 280 pics on the 512m card when my HP M407 camera shut off in mid
    video with no warning.. Upon replacing the batteries and turning it back on
    it came up with 'Unsupported Card' error.

    I tried the card in a cheapie Aiptek DV and it said 'no files'. I put the
    card away until I got home here.

    I have one hp system with a card reader that just keeps saying insert media
    and won't read the card at all. My other system is connected to an HP PSC
    2410 all-in-one type printer. It has a small lcd display so you can print
    pictures directly from the cards.

    When I insert the card in the 2410 sometimes I get a 'Memory Card Error'
    message on the display. Sometimes it'll flash for a while when it's trying
    to read and give an incorrect x of x pictures with a broken jpeg type
    picture. Only a couple of times I've had a little bit of success where the
    printer will read for an hour or more and then let me browse through all 280
    pictures. I've browsed through and selected a few pictures for printing and
    it might print a couple of pages but then it'll just hang and I have to
    power off the printer and start the process all over again.. I have to take
    out and re-insert it 20 or 30 times before it'll actually start to read it
    otherwise I just get a few beeps and a card read error on the display. When
    I can get it to print a couple of pics they do appear to print correctly.

    XP sees the printers card reader as a removable drive but either won't mount
    it at all, says not ready, hangs or asks if I want to format it. I tried a
    couple of pic recovery programs and they can scan the card and come up
    saying there are no files.

    I know my pics are still on the card can the printer shows them to me
    sometimes but looks like the card is corrupt enough that my printer is the
    only thing that can almost do something with them. I figure where the
    printer can see them occasionally there must be some hope...

    To top it all off. I was pissed with the camera cause it's done this to me
    before so it got a ride home in checked luggage and the lcd got broken on it
    even though it was fairly well protected..

    I could send the card out somewhere but want to try and see what I can do
    here first..

    Any help would be appreciated...

    Thanks,

    Mark

    Mark, Nov 27, 2006

  2. Mark

    Colin_D Guest

    Mark wrote:
    > Sorry long post but want to be as thorough as possible...
    >
    > I made a stupid mistake and decided not to download pictures to my notebook
    > each night while on a cruise vacation last week. I brought a 512m, 256m and
    > a couple 128m cards with me and figured it'd be enough storage.
    >
    > I had about 280 pics on the 512m card when my HP M407 camera shut off in mid
    > video with no warning.. Upon replacing the batteries and turning it back on
    > it came up with 'Unsupported Card' error.
    >
    > I tried the card in a cheapie Aiptek DV and it said 'no files'. I put the
    > card away until I got home here.
    >
    > I have one hp system with a card reader that just keeps saying insert media
    > and won't read the card at all. My other system is connected to an HP PSC
    > 2410 all-in-one type printer. It has a small lcd display so you can print
    > pictures directly from the cards.
    >
    > When I insert the card in the 2410 sometimes I get a 'Memory Card Error'
    > message on the display. Sometimes it'll flash for a while when it's trying
    > to read and give an incorrect x of x pictures with a broken jpeg type
    > picture. Only a couple of times I've had a little bit of success where the
    > printer will read for an hour or more and then let me browse through all 280
    > pictures. I've browsed through and selected a few pictures for printing and
    > it might print a couple of pages but then it'll just hang and I have to
    > power off the printer and start the process all over again.. I have to take
    > out and re-insert it 20 or 30 times before it'll actually start to read it
    > otherwise I just get a few beeps and a card read error on the display. When
    > I can get it to print a couple of pics they do appear to print correctly.
    >
    > XP sees the printers card reader as a removable drive but either won't mount
    > it at all, says not ready, hangs or asks if I want to format it. I tried a
    > couple of pic recovery programs and they can scan the card and come up
    > saying there are no files.
    >
    > I know my pics are still on the card can the printer shows them to me
    > sometimes but looks like the card is corrupt enough that my printer is the
    > only thing that can almost do something with them. I figure where the
    > printer can see them occasionally there must be some hope...
    >
    > To top it all off. I was pissed with the camera cause it's done this to me
    > before so it got a ride home in checked luggage and the lcd got broken on it
    > even though it was fairly well protected..
    >
    > I could send the card out somewhere but want to try and see what I can do
    > here first..
    >
    > Any help would be appreciated...
    >
    > Thanks,
    >
    > Mark

    It sounds like the camera was writing to the card, probably the file
    allocation table when the battery died, leaving you with a corrupted FAT.

    Download and try PC Inspector File recovery (NOT Smart Recovery) from

    http://www.pcinspector.de/file_recovery/UK/welcome.htm

    It will recover files by direct inspection of the card without requiring
    the FAT. It's a free program as well, I have used it several times with
    great success.

    Colin D.

    Colin_D, Nov 27, 2006

  3. Mark

    Ken Weitzel Guest

    Colin_D wrote:
> [...]
    >>
    >> To top it all off. I was pissed with the camera cause it's done this
    >> to me before so it got a ride home in checked luggage and the lcd got
    >> broken on it even though it was fairly well protected..
    >>
    >> I could send the card out somewhere but want to try and see what I can
    >> do here first..
    >>
    >> Any help would be appreciated...
    >>
    >> Thanks,
    >>
    >> Mark
    >>

    > It sounds like the camera was writing to the card, probably the file
    > allocation table when the battery died, leaving you with a corrupted FAT.
    >
    > Download and try PC Inspector File recovery (NOT Smart Recovery) from
    >
    > http://www.pcinspector.de/file_recovery/UK/welcome.htm
    >
    > It will recover files by direct inspection of the card without requiring
    > the FAT. It's a free program as well, I have used it several times with

    Hi...

    From what he's describing, it might be worth a shot at making
    an .iso of the card, then burning it to a cd. See what happens.

    Take care.

    Ken

    Ken Weitzel, Nov 27, 2006
  4. Mark

    Mark Guest

    Thanks for the tip Colin, much appreciated... File Recover let me get about
    half the pictures back with about 8 hours of effort.

    Mark

    Mark, Nov 27, 2006
  5. Mark

    Mark Guest

    Thanks Ken. I did make an iso image and hopefully with a little more
    research I can get back a few more photos.

    Mark

    Mark, Nov 27, 2006
  6. Mark

    Mark Guest

    Hi Colin thanks. I was able to recover about half of the pics.

    Mark, Dec 2, 2006
  7. Mark

    Mark Guest

    Thanks Ken, I made an image and will work on it at a later date.

    Mark, Dec 2, 2006
  8. Mark

    Rob G Guest

    Ken Weitzel wrote:
    ..

    > From what he's describing, it might be worth a shot at making
    > an .iso of the card, then burning it to a cd. See what happens.
    >
    > Take care.
    >
    > Ken

    Ken - similar problem ; but what is an .iso and how do I create it for
    burning to a cd; and then what do I do ?

    Rob

    Rob G, Dec 3, 2006