    Date: 8/30/2004 6:24:42 PM Eastern Daylight Time
    From: john smith <>
    Subject: i'm a dick
    To: (removed for my protection)

    I used Visual Trace Route and it didnt get me too far, other than that the person is using optonline
    (here on Long Island - a cable ISP). Can anyone here think of anything else I can do to track down
    this person's approximate location, or if there is anything in the above headers that give a clue?

    Thanks

    Tony

    Tony, Aug 31, 2004

  2. Tony

    Tony Guest

    Disregard this post. I emailed the guy and told him I was reporting him to the authorities and that
    I knew his employer and ISP and he caved in and spilled the beans. Problem solved!

    Tony

    Tony, Aug 31, 2004

  3. "Tony" < > wrote in message
    > I have been getting harrassing, threatening emails from someone.

    yeah? so get some email filtering software

    > It is from someone using an email address that is an obvious fake

    name.

    [172.18.141.34]) by air-ya01.mail.aol.com
    > (v101_r1.3) with ESMTP id MAILINYA12-1484133a92a1aa; Mon, 30 Aug

    2004 18:24:53 -0400

    [216.155.196.145]) by
    > rly-ya02.mx.aol.com (v101_r1.2) with ESMTP id

    MAILRELAYINYA28-1484133a92a1aa; Mon, 30 Aug 2004
    > 18:24:42 -0400

    Mon, 30 Aug 2004 15:24:42 PDT
    > Date: 8/30/2004 6:24:42 PM Eastern Daylight Time
    > From: john smith <>
    > Subject: i'm a dick
    > To: (removed for my protection)

    boundary="0-1146045714-1093904682=:79178"

    > I used Visual Trace Route and it didnt get me too far, other than

    that the person is using optonline
    > (here on Long Island - a cable ISP). Can anyone here think of

    anything else I can do to track down
    > this person's approximate location, or if there is anything in the

    above headers that give a clue?

    traceroute doesnt tell you shit about actual location. besides, you'd
    need to gain root on all the systems between your point and the dialup
    point (or cable, in this case), then you'd need access to their
    billing computers to crosslink the account and find an actual
    address.. and this doesnt mean you'd actually get anywhere.

    you could call the cops, but they prolly wouldnt do shit, as they have
    to deal with real problems, and they tend to be lazy and nonchalant,
    or you could just install some filtering software.

    and if you're "afraid" of this person for some reason, buy a gun.
    sigarms is my personal fave.

    > Thanks
    >
    > Tony

    you're welcome

    Solomon Kozanski, Sep 21, 2004
  4. Tony

    Tony Guest

    Thanks for the reply Solomon, but you are completely wrong. I did a trace route and saw that his
    emails came from a hospital here on Long Island and also, another email was from the local cable
    internet provider.

    I emailed the guy and told him that I know where he works and who is home ISP is. I told him that he
    better tell me who he is or he can tell the detectives when they knock on his door at 4am sometime
    that week. He wrote back and told me who he is and gave me his cell, home and work #s. He promised
    to never contact me again and kept begging me not to tell his employer or the isp. He is 40 years
    old with a wife and two kids.

    So, my trace worked. I always get my man. I have done this a few times in the past.

    Tony

    Tony, Sep 23, 2004
  5. "Tony" < > wrote in message
    > Thanks for the reply Solomon, but you are completely wrong. I did a

    trace route and saw that his
    > emails came from a hospital here on Long Island and also, another

    email was from the local cable
    > internet provider.
    >
    > I emailed the guy and told him that I know where he works and who is

    home ISP is. I told him that he
    > better tell me who he is or he can tell the detectives when they

    knock on his door at 4am sometime
    > that week. He wrote back and told me who he is and gave me his cell,

    home and work #s. He promised
    > to never contact me again and kept begging me not to tell his

    employer or the isp. He is 40 years
    > old with a wife and two kids.
    >
    > So, my trace worked. I always get my man. I have done this a few

    times in the past.

    > Tony

    your trace worked this time. had this person been seriously intent on
    harming you and had any real knowledge of information systems, he
    could very well have eluded any and all attempts by you or any
    self-proclaimed "authorities" to locate himself.

    like i said before, either filter your email or buy a gun, or both.
    there is no excuse!
    --
    Brought to you courtesy of Kozanski's Morgue & Grill

    Solomon Kozanski, Sep 23, 2004
  6. On Thu, 23 Sep 2004 09:13:05 -0400, "Solomon Kozanski"
    <> wrote:

    >"Tony" < > wrote in message
    >> Thanks for the reply Solomon, but you are completely wrong. I did a

    >trace route and saw that his
    >> emails came from a hospital here on Long Island and also, another

    >email was from the local cable
    >> internet provider.
    >>
    >> I emailed the guy and told him that I know where he works and who is

    >home ISP is. I told him that he
    >> better tell me who he is or he can tell the detectives when they

    >knock on his door at 4am sometime
    >> that week. He wrote back and told me who he is and gave me his cell,

    >home and work #s. He promised
    >> to never contact me again and kept begging me not to tell his

    >employer or the isp. He is 40 years
    >> old with a wife and two kids.
    >>
    >> So, my trace worked. I always get my man. I have done this a few

    >times in the past.
    >>
    >> Tony

    >your trace worked this time. had this person been seriously intent on
    >harming you and had any real knowledge of information systems, he
    >could very well have eluded any and all attempts by you or any
    >self-proclaimed "authorities" to locate himself.
    >
    >like i said before, either filter your email or buy a gun, or both.
    >there is no excuse!

    You're just trying to drum up business for your morgue.

    Tom

    Tom MacIntyre, Sep 23, 2004
  7. "Tom MacIntyre" <> wrote in message
    > On Thu, 23 Sep 2004 09:13:05 -0400, "Solomon Kozanski"
    > <> wrote:
    >

    > >"Tony" < > wrote in message
    > >> Thanks for the reply Solomon, but you are completely wrong. I

    did a
    > >trace route and saw that his
    > >> emails came from a hospital here on Long Island and also, another

    > >email was from the local cable
    > >> internet provider.
    > >>
    > >> I emailed the guy and told him that I know where he works and who

    is
    > >home ISP is. I told him that he
    > >> better tell me who he is or he can tell the detectives when they

    > >knock on his door at 4am sometime
    > >> that week. He wrote back and told me who he is and gave me his

    cell,
    > >home and work #s. He promised
    > >> to never contact me again and kept begging me not to tell his

    > >employer or the isp. He is 40 years
    > >> old with a wife and two kids.
    > >>
    > >> So, my trace worked. I always get my man. I have done this a few

    > >times in the past.
    > >>
    > >> Tony

    > >your trace worked this time. had this person been seriously intent

    on
    > >harming you and had any real knowledge of information systems, he
    > >could very well have eluded any and all attempts by you or any
    > >self-proclaimed "authorities" to locate himself.
    > >
    > >like i said before, either filter your email or buy a gun, or both.
    > >there is no excuse!

    > You're just trying to drum up business for your morgue.
    >
    > Tom

    hey man, i got hungry patrons to feed!
    --
    Brought to you courtesy of Kozanski's Morgue & Grill

    Solomon Kozanski, Sep 24, 2004