    How can I make my wireless connection secured and make sure my laptop
    connects to it all the time?

    Thanks.

    =?Utf-8?B?UHJlbWFs?=, Mar 9, 2005

  2. =?Utf-8?B?UHJlbWFs?=

    DJ Borell Guest

    "Premal" <> wrote in message
    news:...
    >I have a Toshiba Satellite A75 laptop and DSL service provided by Verizon.
    >
    > When I right click on the wireless network icon, I can see four wireless
    > networks available and my laptop connected to one of them. Two networks
    > out
    > of four are secured and two (including mine) are not secured.
    >
    > How can I make my wireless connection secured and make sure my laptop
    > connects to it all the time?
    >
    > Thanks.

    There's good info on doing this here:

    Also, check out Barb Bowman's article on Wireless Security here:

    http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/using/networking/learnmore/bowman_05february10.mspx

    DJ Borell, Mar 9, 2005

  3. Thanks. I will try.

    Premal

    =?Utf-8?B?UHJlbWFs?=, Mar 9, 2005
  4. I followed the instruction from an article -

    http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/using/networking/learnmore/bowman_05february10.mspx

    I still have following questions.

    1. Should I see the name of network I set up in the "List of Network
    available" when I right click on wireless network icon?
    2. I have three "Network" icons on my task bar; one for wired DSL connection
    and other tow for wireless connection. IS this OK?
    3. I still get connected via network that shows "Unsecured".

    Please help.

    Thank you.

    Premal

    =?Utf-8?B?UHJlbWFs?=, Mar 9, 2005
  5. =?Utf-8?B?UHJlbWFs?=

    DJ Borell Guest

    "Premal" <> wrote in message

    > 1. Should I see the name of network I set up in the "List of Network
    > available" when I right click on wireless network icon?

    Generally, yes, unless you've disabled the Broadcast ID

    > 2. I have three "Network" icons on my task bar; one for wired DSL
    > connection
    > and other tow for wireless connection. IS this OK?

    This is odd. Under "Network Connections" in control panel, how many network
    devices do you have listed and how many say "Wireless"?

    > 3. I still get connected via network that shows "Unsecured".

    What method are you using to connect? Specifically, are you using Windows
    Wireless Zero Config or software included with your wireless adapter?

    DJ Borell, Mar 9, 2005
  6. Thanks again.

    I will try to answer your questions.

    > 1. Should I see the name of network I set up in the "List of Network
    > available" when I right click on wireless network icon?

    >>Generally, yes, unless you've disabled the Broadcast ID
    >>>I may have but then I do not know when and how - unfortunately.

    > 2. I have three "Network" icons on my task bar; one for wired DSL
    > connection and other tow for wireless connection. IS this OK?

    >>This is odd. Under "Network Connections" in control panel, how many network

    devices do you have listed and how many say "Wireless"?
    >>There is one under "Broadbend connection" and one uner "DSL" xconnection. There were only one wireless before. Second one appeared after I followed the instruction on the articel I emntioned earlier.

    > 3. I still get connected via network that shows "Unsecured".
    >>What method are you using to connect? Specifically, are you using Windows

    Wireless Zero Config or software included with your wireless adapter?
    >>>Verizon tech. did help me to set up my wireless network using the software they provided with my DSL service. So I guess I am using Verizon software to connect to the wireless network.

    I hope I make some sense. Thanks for your help.

    Premal

    =?Utf-8?B?UHJlbWFs?=, Mar 9, 2005
  7. =?Utf-8?B?UHJlbWFs?=

    DJ Borell Guest

    "Premal" <> wrote in message

    Disabling the Broadcast ID is something done at the Wireless Router. If the
    Broadcast is disabled, you will not see the network in your list of
    available networks. This should not, however, keep you from connecting to
    provided you have set it up properly. If you want to re-enable the
    Broadcast ID, you'll need to do so at your wireless router (the manual
    should have instructions for doing so.)

    What method are you using to configure your Wireless Network connections?

    DJ Borell, Mar 9, 2005
  8. Thank you for your prompt reply.

    Verizon tech. did help me to set up my wireless network using the software
    they provided with my DSL service. Also, I followed direction spelled out in
    the following articles.

    1."http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/using/networking/learnmore/bowman_05february10.mspx#bio1

    2.http://www.microsoft.com/technet/community/columns/cableguy/cg0604.mspx

    Although, at the end of the process I did not come to the widow where it
    asks to "finish".

    Premal

    =?Utf-8?B?UHJlbWFs?=, Mar 9, 2005
  9. =?Utf-8?B?UHJlbWFs?=

    DJ Borell Guest

    "Premal" <> wrote in message
    > Thank you for your prompt reply.
    >
    > Verizon tech. did help me to set up my wireless network using the software
    > they provided with my DSL service. Also, I followed direction spelled out
    > in
    > the following articles.
    >
    > 1."http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/using/networking/learnmore/bowman_05february10.mspx#bio1
    >
    > 2.http://www.microsoft.com/technet/community/columns/cableguy/cg0604.mspx
    >
    > Although, at the end of the process I did not come to the widow where it
    > asks to "finish".
    >
    > Premal

    As long as it works; that's all that matters.

    DJ Borell, Mar 9, 2005