    shows the title of the dvd, when I click on play nothing happens. This
    system has the codecs installed to play the dvd's so is it because of
    the burning program I used? convert x to dvd??? thanks for your help
    vid, Aug 14, 2007

  2. vid

    WhzzKdd Guest

    "vid" <> wrote in message
    news:...
    > Hi All need help to find out how to play a dvd burned or original in
    > windows vista home premium. I opened the media centre and although i
    > shows the title of the dvd, when I click on play nothing happens. This
    > system has the codecs installed to play the dvd's so is it because of
    > the burning program I used? convert x to dvd??? thanks for your help

    Does your DVD play in any other device?
    WhzzKdd, Aug 14, 2007

  3. vid

    vid Guest

    On Aug 14, 11:43 am, "WhzzKdd" <frack_this@email_is.invalid> wrote:
    > "vid" <> wrote in message

    > > Hi All need help to find out how to play a dvd burned or original in
    > > windows vista home premium. I opened the media centre and although i
    > > shows the title of the dvd, when I click on play nothing happens. This
    > > system has the codecs installed to play the dvd's so is it because of
    > > the burning program I used? convert x to dvd??? thanks for your help

    > Does your DVD play in any other device?

    yes it does play on all the dvd players in the house
    vid, Aug 15, 2007
  4. vid

    WhzzKdd Guest

    "vid" <> wrote in message
    > On Aug 14, 11:43 am, "WhzzKdd" <frack_this@email_is.invalid> wrote:
    >> "vid" <> wrote in message

    >> > Hi All need help to find out how to play a dvd burned or original in
    >> > windows vista home premium. I opened the media centre and although i
    >> > shows the title of the dvd, when I click on play nothing happens. This
    >> > system has the codecs installed to play the dvd's so is it because of
    >> > the burning program I used? convert x to dvd??? thanks for your help

    >> Does your DVD play in any other device?

    > yes it does play on all the dvd players in the house

    Try installing VLC Media Player - see if that works:
    http://www.videolan.org/
    WhzzKdd, Aug 15, 2007
  5. vid

    ded Guest

    "vid" <> wrote in message
    > Hi All need help to find out how to play a dvd burned or original in
    > windows vista home premium. I opened the media centre and although i
    > shows the title of the dvd, when I click on play nothing happens. This
    > system has the codecs installed to play the dvd's so is it because of
    > the burning program I used? convert x to dvd??? thanks for your help

    It is specifically a DVD decoder required for playback, such as winDVD
    or PowerDVD etc. (A decoder enables media players to play DVD's)
    Is it just one specific DVD or are you unable to play any DVD's?
    You typed that you opened media centre (You're a Brit) and that
    it "shows title of the dvd" - what shows the title, a folder view?
    The library listing? Or "Now playing"? What?
    You obliquely mention "burned or original" then you mention a
    burning program that you call: "convert x to dvd???"
    I've never heard of it and can't be bothered to google it.
    ded, Aug 15, 2007
  6. vid

    pcbutts1 Guest

    Vista has built-in software called "Media Center" used to play DVD, CD's,
    TV's just about all media types no 3rd party codec's needed.

    pcbutts1, Aug 15, 2007
  7. vid

    pcbutts1 Guest

    Try playing it with Media Player instead. Media Center is crappy sometimes.

    pcbutts1, Aug 15, 2007
  8. vid

    OrCiscoNovice

    Joined:
    Aug 14, 2007
    Messages:
    16

    Browse to the DVD. Does it have any .vox files or .avi files? If it plays on other dvd players I would assume it has .vox. What happens when you double click on the first .vox file? If it does not play, the file association may not be established in Windows to the player you want to use. If it does play, is it playing in the correct player that you want to use? If not, change the association to the correct player.

    Do other DVDs play in the drive you are using?

    Try reinstalling the DVD player software if it is not Media Player.
    OrCiscoNovice, Aug 15, 2007
  9. vid

    vid Guest

    On Aug 14, 6:15 pm, "ded" <> wrote:
    > "vid" <> wrote in message

    > > Hi All need help to find out how to play a dvd burned or original in
    > > windows vista home premium. I opened the media centre and although i
    > > shows the title of the dvd, when I click on play nothing happens. This
    > > system has the codecs installed to play the dvd's so is it because of
    > > the burning program I used? convert x to dvd??? thanks for your help

    > It is specifically a DVD decoder required for playback, such as winDVD
    > or PowerDVD etc. (A decoder enables media players to play DVD's)
    > Is it just one specific DVD or are you unable to play any DVD's?
    > You typed that you opened media centre (You're a Brit) and that
    > it "shows title of the dvd" - what shows the title, a folder view?
    > The library listing? Or "Now playing"? What?
    > You obliquely mention "burned or original" then you mention a
    > burning program that you call: "convert x to dvd???"
    > I've never heard of it and can't be bothered to google it.

    as thee next poster replied vista has the codecs inside..when I opened
    media centre it showed the title tracks of the dvd that I burned
    however it would not play. As for the next statement...the file was a
    rvmb so it had to be converted to play anywhere that's when the
    "convertx to dvd came into the picture. Neither Media Centre or Media
    Player had any sound at all... so still at a loss... thanks for your
    reply just the same..
    vid, Aug 15, 2007
  10. vid

    vid Guest

    On Aug 14, 6:48 pm, "pcbutts1" <> wrote:
    > Vista has built-in software called "Media Center" used to play DVD, CD's,
    > TV's just about all media types no 3rd party codec's needed.
    >
    > --
    >
    > Newsgroup Trolls. Read about mine herehttp://www.pcbutts1.com/downloads
    > The list grows. Leythos the stalkerhttp://www.leythosthestalker.com, David
    > H. Lipman, Max M Wachtell III aka What's in a Name?, Fitz,
    > Rhonda Lea Kirk, Meat Plow, F Kwatu F, George Orwell
    >
    > "ded" <> wrote in messagenews:f9tk43$k2i$...
    >
    > > "vid" <> wrote in message
    > >> Hi All need help to find out how to play a dvd burned or original in
    > >> windows vista home premium. I opened the media centre and although i
    > >> shows the title of the dvd, when I click on play nothing happens. This
    > >> system has the codecs installed to play the dvd's so is it because of
    > >> the burning program I used? convert x to dvd??? thanks for your help

    > > It is specifically a DVD decoder required for playback, such as winDVD
    > > or PowerDVD etc. (A decoder enables media players to play DVD's)
    > > Is it just one specific DVD or are you unable to play any DVD's?
    > > You typed that you opened media centre (You're a Brit) and that
    > > it "shows title of the dvd" - what shows the title, a folder view?
    > > The library listing? Or "Now playing"? What?
    > > You obliquely mention "burned or original" then you mention a
    > > burning program that you call: "convert x to dvd???"
    > > I've never heard of it and can't be bothered to google it.

    Thanks for your replies... thought it might be the speakers .. so I
    connected the brand new ones that came with the computer (it is less
    than 3 wks old) opened both media centre and player and tried to play
    the sample music that was already there. .. still nothing. any more
    suggestions??? Greatly appreciate everyone's help...Thanks again Vid
    vid, Aug 15, 2007
  11. vid

    TechGuru Guest

    your main problem is vista....total shit...id get rid of it...install xp
    and the klcodec pack (newest)
    either that or if this is a media pc id use linux MCE...much better
    then the shit media center ms made
    TechGuru, Aug 17, 2007
  12. vid

    Toast Guest

    vid <> wrote in

    > Thanks for your replies... thought it might be the speakers .. so
    > I connected the brand new ones that came with the computer (it is
    > less than 3 wks old) opened both media centre and player and tried
    > to play the sample music that was already there. .. still nothing.
    > any more suggestions??? Greatly appreciate everyone's
    > help...Thanks again Vid

    This article may explain the origin of your Vista problems:

    http://www.cs.auckland.ac.nz/~pgut001/pubs/vista_cost.html

    David
    Toast, Aug 19, 2007