need help to elete an undeletable file

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by ~misty, Sep 7, 2005.

  1. ~misty

    ~misty Guest

    I'm running Windows XP Home Edition
    Version 5.1.2600 Service Pack 2 Build 2600

    Total Physical Memory 511.48 MB
    Available Physical Memory 128.41 MB
    Total Virtual Memory 2.00 GB
    Available Virtual Memory 1.96 GB

    and have all kinds of virus protection. But the file in question is not a
    virus.

    As a matter of fact the file no longer exists on my pc except for in one
    spot.. the "add/remove program" page. The file in question is an .ini (I
    think) for Rolie Polie Olie.. the game sucked cos it had glitches in it..
    cheesed the 3 year old (at that time) off cos he really wanted to play it.

    So once I realized that the game wasn't going to ever work..I uninstalled it
    and threw the disc away.

    Now every time I go to remove a program (not used or not liked games in the
    main) I see that Rolie is still listed.. and it (the page) says it's
    frequently used, and is pulling 2,576,00MB.

    I've tried to tools to "kill" that ghost but it's still there. I used the
    Brute Force Uninstaller and the Pocket Killbox from majorgeeks.com but
    neither could delete it even with a reboot.

    If someone suggests a MSDOS way of killing it.. please give very simple and
    clear directions cos I don't want to kill my computer ;-) I'm not sure how
    to get the actual filename for this cos it dosn't show up in "search".

    Any help would be greatly appreciated.

    --
    http://mistymage.com/
    to email me use Groups At mistymage Dot com
    ~misty, Sep 7, 2005

  2. ~misty

    Guest

    ~misty wrote:
    > I'm running Windows XP Home Edition
    > Version 5.1.2600 Service Pack 2 Build 2600
    >
    > Total Physical Memory 511.48 MB
    > Available Physical Memory 128.41 MB
    > Total Virtual Memory 2.00 GB
    > Available Virtual Memory 1.96 GB
    >
    > and have all kinds of virus protection. But the file in question is not a
    > virus.
    >
    > As a matter of fact the file no longer exists on my pc except for in one
    > spot.. the "add/remove program" page. The file in question is an .ini (I
    > think) for Rolie Polie Olie.. the game sucked cos it had glitches in it..
    > cheesed the 3 year old (at that time) off cos he really wanted to play it.
    >
    > So once I realized that the game wasn't going to ever work..I uninstalled it
    > and threw the disc away.
    >
    > Now every time I go to remove a program (not used or not liked games in the
    > main) I see that Rolie is still listed.. and it (the page) says it's
    > frequently used, and is pulling 2,576,00MB.
    >
    > I've tried to tools to "kill" that ghost but it's still there. I used the
    > Brute Force Uninstaller and the Pocket Killbox from majorgeeks.com but
    > neither could delete it even with a reboot.
    >
    > If someone suggests a MSDOS way of killing it.. please give very simple and
    > clear directions cos I don't want to kill my computer ;-) I'm not sure how
    > to get the actual filename for this cos it dosn't show up in "search".
    >
    > Any help would be greatly appreciated.

    You could try RegSeeker, a nice piece of freeware that can clean up all
    your registry entries that are pointing nowhere.
    http://www.hoverdesk.net/freeware.htm

    > --
    > http://mistymage.com/
    > to email me use Groups At mistymage Dot com
    , Sep 7, 2005

  3. ~misty

    ~misty Guest

    wrote:
    > ~misty wrote:
    >> I'm running Windows XP Home Edition
    >> Version 5.1.2600 Service Pack 2 Build 2600
    >>
    >> Total Physical Memory 511.48 MB
    >> Available Physical Memory 128.41 MB
    >> Total Virtual Memory 2.00 GB
    >> Available Virtual Memory 1.96 GB
    >>
    >> and have all kinds of virus protection. But the file in question
    >> is not a virus.
    >>
    >> As a matter of fact the file no longer exists on my pc except for in
    >> one spot.. the "add/remove program" page. The file in question is
    >> an .ini (I think) for Rolie Polie Olie.. the game sucked cos it had
    >> glitches in it.. cheesed the 3 year old (at that time) off cos he
    >> really wanted to play it.
    >>
    >> So once I realized that the game wasn't going to ever work..I
    >> uninstalled it and threw the disc away.
    >>
    >> Now every time I go to remove a program (not used or not liked games
    >> in the main) I see that Rolie is still listed.. and it (the page)
    >> says it's frequently used, and is pulling 2,576,00MB.
    >>
    >> I've tried to tools to "kill" that ghost but it's still there. I
    >> used the Brute Force Uninstaller and the Pocket Killbox from
    >> majorgeeks.com but neither could delete it even with a reboot.
    >>
    >> If someone suggests a MSDOS way of killing it.. please give very
    >> simple and clear directions cos I don't want to kill my computer ;-)
    >> I'm not sure how to get the actual filename for this cos it dosn't
    >> show up in "search".
    >>
    >> Any help would be greatly appreciated.

    > You could try RegSeeker, a nice piece of freeware that can clean up
    > all your registry entries that are pointing nowhere.
    > http://www.hoverdesk.net/freeware.htm

    That _almost_ did the trick.. it located a lot of related files (Disney) and
    the offensive file (or at least references to it) itself. But even though I
    now can't see it in the registry.. it is still on the "find/remove program"
    page <sigh>

    Below is what I had RegSeeker delete out:

    [HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\MenuOrder\Start
    Menu2\Programs\Disney Interactive]

    [HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\MenuOrder\Start
    Menu2\Programs\Disney Interactive\Escape]

    [HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\MenuOrder\Start
    Menu2\Programs\Disney Interactive\Mickey Mouse Kindergarten]

    [HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\MenuOrder\Start
    Menu2\Programs\Disney Interactive\Rolie Polie Olie]

    [HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\MenuOrder\Start
    Menu2\Programs\Disney Interactive\Winnie the Pooh Preschool]

    All the other Disney stuff has long since been deleted.. it's only Rolie who
    just won't die.

    ~misty, Sep 7, 2005
  4. ~misty

    Guest

    ~misty wrote:
    > wrote:
    > > ~misty wrote:
    > >> I'm running Windows XP Home Edition
    > >> Version 5.1.2600 Service Pack 2 Build 2600
    > >>
    > >> Total Physical Memory 511.48 MB
    > >> Available Physical Memory 128.41 MB
    > >> Total Virtual Memory 2.00 GB
    > >> Available Virtual Memory 1.96 GB
    > >>
    > >> and have all kinds of virus protection. But the file in question
    > >> is not a virus.
    > >>
    > >> As a matter of fact the file no longer exists on my pc except for in
    > >> one spot.. the "add/remove program" page. The file in question is
    > >> an .ini (I think) for Rolie Polie Olie.. the game sucked cos it had
    > >> glitches in it.. cheesed the 3 year old (at that time) off cos he
    > >> really wanted to play it.
    > >>
    > >> So once I realized that the game wasn't going to ever work..I
    > >> uninstalled it and threw the disc away.
    > >>
    > >> Now every time I go to remove a program (not used or not liked games
    > >> in the main) I see that Rolie is still listed.. and it (the page)
    > >> says it's frequently used, and is pulling 2,576,00MB.
    > >>
    > >> I've tried to tools to "kill" that ghost but it's still there. I
    > >> used the Brute Force Uninstaller and the Pocket Killbox from
    > >> majorgeeks.com but neither could delete it even with a reboot.
    > >>
    > >> If someone suggests a MSDOS way of killing it.. please give very
    > >> simple and clear directions cos I don't want to kill my computer ;-)
    > >> I'm not sure how to get the actual filename for this cos it dosn't
    > >> show up in "search".
    > >>
    > >> Any help would be greatly appreciated.

    > > You could try RegSeeker, a nice piece of freeware that can clean up
    > > all your registry entries that are pointing nowhere.
    > > http://www.hoverdesk.net/freeware.htm
    > >>

    > That _almost_ did the trick.. it located a lot of related files (Disney) and
    > the offensive file (or at least references to it) itself. But even though I
    > now can't see it in the registry.. it is still on the "find/remove program"
    > page <sigh>
    >
    > Below is what I had RegSeeker delete out:
    >
    > [HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\MenuOrder\Start
    > Menu2\Programs\Disney Interactive]
    >
    > [HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\MenuOrder\Start
    > Menu2\Programs\Disney Interactive\Escape]
    >
    > [HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\MenuOrder\Start
    > Menu2\Programs\Disney Interactive\Mickey Mouse Kindergarten]
    >
    > [HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\MenuOrder\Start
    > Menu2\Programs\Disney Interactive\Rolie Polie Olie]
    >
    > [HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\MenuOrder\Start
    > Menu2\Programs\Disney Interactive\Winnie the Pooh Preschool]
    >
    > All the other Disney stuff has long since been deleted.. it's only Rolie who
    > just won't die.
    >
    > --

    Try this: Open RegSeeker, click Find in Registry, enter Rolie Polie
    Olie, delete anything it comes up with.
    > http://mistymage.com/
    > to email me use Groups At mistymage Dot com
    , Sep 7, 2005
  5. ~misty

    Buffalo Guest

    "~misty" <> wrote in message news:...
    > wrote:
    > > ~misty wrote:
    > >> I'm running Windows XP Home Edition
    > >> Version 5.1.2600 Service Pack 2 Build 2600
    > >>
    > >> Total Physical Memory 511.48 MB
    > >> Available Physical Memory 128.41 MB
    > >> Total Virtual Memory 2.00 GB
    > >> Available Virtual Memory 1.96 GB
    > >>
    > >> and have all kinds of virus protection. But the file in question
    > >> is not a virus.
    > >>
    > >> As a matter of fact the file no longer exists on my pc except for in
    > >> one spot.. the "add/remove program" page. The file in question is
    > >> an .ini (I think) for Rolie Polie Olie.. the game sucked cos it had
    > >> glitches in it.. cheesed the 3 year old (at that time) off cos he
    > >> really wanted to play it.
    > >>
    > >> So once I realized that the game wasn't going to ever work..I
    > >> uninstalled it and threw the disc away.
    > >>
    > >> Now every time I go to remove a program (not used or not liked games
    > >> in the main) I see that Rolie is still listed.. and it (the page)
    > >> says it's frequently used, and is pulling 2,576,00MB.
    > >>
    > >> I've tried to tools to "kill" that ghost but it's still there. I
    > >> used the Brute Force Uninstaller and the Pocket Killbox from
    > >> majorgeeks.com but neither could delete it even with a reboot.
    > >>
    > >> If someone suggests a MSDOS way of killing it.. please give very
    > >> simple and clear directions cos I don't want to kill my computer ;-)
    > >> I'm not sure how to get the actual filename for this cos it dosn't
    > >> show up in "search".
    > >>
    > >> Any help would be greatly appreciated.

    > > You could try RegSeeker, a nice piece of freeware that can clean up
    > > all your registry entries that are pointing nowhere.
    > > http://www.hoverdesk.net/freeware.htm
    > >>

    > That _almost_ did the trick.. it located a lot of related files (Disney) and
    > the offensive file (or at least references to it) itself. But even though I
    > now can't see it in the registry.. it is still on the "find/remove program"
    > page <sigh>
    >
    > Below is what I had RegSeeker delete out:

    [HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\MenuOrder\
    Start
    > Menu2\Programs\Disney Interactive]

    [HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\MenuOrder\
    Start
    > Menu2\Programs\Disney Interactive\Escape]

    [HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\MenuOrder\
    Start
    > Menu2\Programs\Disney Interactive\Mickey Mouse Kindergarten]

    [HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\MenuOrder\
    Start
    > Menu2\Programs\Disney Interactive\Rolie Polie Olie]

    [HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\MenuOrder\
    Start
    > Menu2\Programs\Disney Interactive\Winnie the Pooh Preschool]
    >
    > All the other Disney stuff has long since been deleted.. it's only Rolie who
    > just won't die.

    Are you sure that the huge 2,576,00MB file is not just in your System Restore
    program? Perhaps you should disable your Restore to erase it, and then enable it
    again.
    Buffalo, Sep 7, 2005
  6. ~misty

    ~misty Guest

    Buffalo wrote:
    > "~misty" <> wrote in message
    >> wrote:

    >>> You could try RegSeeker, a nice piece of freeware that can clean up
    >>> all your registry entries that are pointing nowhere.
    >>> http://www.hoverdesk.net/freeware.htm
    >>>>

    >> That _almost_ did the trick.. it located a lot of related files
    >> (Disney) and the offensive file (or at least references to it)
    >> itself. But even though I now can't see it in the registry.. it is
    >> still on the "find/remove program" page <sigh>
    >>
    >> Below is what I had RegSeeker delete out:
    >>

    > [HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\MenuOrder\
    > Start
    >> Menu2\Programs\Disney Interactive]
    >>

    > [HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\MenuOrder\
    > Start
    >> Menu2\Programs\Disney Interactive\Escape]
    >>

    > [HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\MenuOrder\
    > Start
    >> Menu2\Programs\Disney Interactive\Mickey Mouse Kindergarten]
    >>

    > [HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\MenuOrder\
    > Start
    >> Menu2\Programs\Disney Interactive\Rolie Polie Olie]
    >>

    > [HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\MenuOrder\
    > Start
    >> Menu2\Programs\Disney Interactive\Winnie the Pooh Preschool]
    >>
    >> All the other Disney stuff has long since been deleted.. it's only
    >> Rolie who just won't die.
    >>

    > Are you sure that the huge 2,576,00MB file is not just in your System
    > Restore program? Perhaps you should disable your Restore to erase it,
    > and then enable it again.

    Thank you!! That got rid of the bugger! I can't believe all the odd spots
    that game insinuated itself into.. but it's gone now!

    Thank you, thank you, thank you!
    ~misty, Sep 7, 2005
  7. ~misty

    Buffalo Guest

    "~misty" <> wrote in message news:...
    > Buffalo wrote:
    > > Are you sure that the huge 2,576,00MB file is not just in your System
    > > Restore program? Perhaps you should disable your Restore to erase it,
    > > and then enable it again.

    > Thank you!! That got rid of the bugger! I can't believe all the odd spots
    > that game insinuated itself into.. but it's gone now!
    >
    > Thank you, thank you, thank you!

    Your welcome.
    Glad you're rid of it.
    Buffalo, Sep 8, 2005