    Is there a way or any software that can help with the situation?

    Thank you for any suggestion!

    , Aug 18, 2007

  2. pcbutts1 Guest

    A valid URL would help. Also there is an index.htm page or it would not be
    blank unless it is hosted on an IIS server which is why a valid URL is
    needed.

    pcbutts1, Aug 18, 2007

  3. Mike Easter Guest

    wrote:
    > I need to download a lot of files from a web directory that looks like
    > this:
    >
    > http://www.somewebpage.com/public/folder/ . If I type this into the
    > address bar of a web browser, I got a blank page.

    What you see when you ask the webserver at www.somewebpage.com to show
    you a particular directory's contents depends on how the webserver is
    configured and how your browser is configured.

    > However, if I know the name of a specific file and type it in:
    >
    > http://www.somewebpage.com/public/folder/image1.jpg
    > or
    > http://www.somewebpage.com/public/folder/video1.flv
    >
    > ..., then I could see the picture/video and download them without any
    > issue.

    Whether you could see the .jpg or the .flv depends on how the webserver
    is configured. It could be configured to require you to give it a
    password to let you have access to the file. Whether you could see the
    ..jpg or .flv also depends on your OS/browser/apps ability to display
    such files.

    > The problem is that I don't know exactly what files are in that folder
    > and their names. There is also no index.html file.

    Then the webserver doesn't want to show them to you. If the webserver
    doesn't want to show them, then you would have to 'crack' the security
    of the webserver.

    > Is there a way or any software that can help with the situation?

    I'm on the side of the somewebpage administrator in this regard.

    > Thank you for any suggestion!

    The only way you are going to get useful specific information is if you
    give out the specific information as to the particular website address,
    not a generic one.

    --
    Mike Easter

    Mike Easter, Aug 18, 2007
  4. Plato Guest

    wrote:

    > The problem is that I don't know exactly what files are in that folder
    > and their names. There is also no index.html file.

    The webmaster has probably set a point so third party people cant view
    the contents of a directory. It's pretty easy to do. For example, all
    you need to do is generally put an empty index.html in the directory
    where you dont want the contents listed.

    --
    http://www.bootdisk.com/

    Plato, Aug 19, 2007