    so kind as to offer me step-by step instructions in doing so. Thanks in
    advance.
    Nat.

    =?Utf-8?B?TmF0IDE=?=, Nov 10, 2006

  2. =?Utf-8?B?TmF0IDE=?=

    Lem Guest

    Nat 1 wrote:
    > As green as they come: Ihave two computers, a desktop and a laptop and have
    > tried to create a wireless network to no avail. I wonder if someone would be
    > so kind as to offer me step-by step instructions in doing so. Thanks in
    > advance.
    > Nat.

    You need to buy some hardware. The main component is a wireless router.
    If you already have cable or DSL Internet service, and have a "modem"
    that connects to one of your computers via an Ethernet cable, you will
    have the broadest choice of products. Most home wireless routers
    connect to the Internet source via Ethernet. If you have dial-up, your
    choices are far more limited.
    http://nitecruzr.blogspot.com/2005/05/sharing-your-dialup-internet-service.html

    In addition to the router, you will need a device for each computer to
    "talk" to the router. If your laptop is new enough, it may have such a
    wireless network adapter already built in. Your desktop likely will not.

    Here's a basic tutorial from Linksys (not that you have to buy Linksys
    hardware): http://tinyurl.com/eczd7
    Linksys also has a similar flash presentation on network security:
    http://tinyurl.com/appyq

    If you already have the hardware, here's a good place to start, although
    it's a bit out of date:
    http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/using/networking/expert/bowman_02december16.mspx
    See also http://www.ezlan.net/Wireless_Config.html
    --
    Lem MS MVP -- Networking

    Lem, Nov 10, 2006

  3. Thks, I needed that! Great info for New Users

    =?Utf-8?B?c2lyd2lsbGlhbQ==?=, Nov 13, 2006
  4. =?Utf-8?B?TmF0IDE=?=

    Phil Guest

    I am writing this letter to ALL Wireless Router manufacturers.
    I have a Linksys Wireless Router Model:BEFW11S4. It is 7 years (yes, count
    them, all of seven little years) old. I have visited the Linksys website
    numerous times trying to set up the WEP/WPA security on that wireless router
    (as all responsible wireless router owners should!). I found that there are
    no links to any wireless router setting websites that are congruent with the
    screen shots from Linksys' own self help technical support site. I have had
    to call Linksys several times to resolve this issue only to be placed on hold
    for lengthy times (sometimes my call was dropped and I had to start over ....
    how sad for such a large company to have such poorly trained phone
    receptionists!), then be transferred (see previous comment about the phone
    receptionists) to a supposed supervisor, only to finally be transferred to
    someone who tells me that the warranty has expired and wants me to pay $40.00
    for the technical support to do the right thing that I want and need to do.
    First, the device works fine (as evidenced by this e-mail that you have
    just received)!
    Second, why should I have to pay for doing the right thing?
    Third, if I am going to be EXTORTED into buying a new wireless router so
    that I can do the right thing and set up an encryption key for a secure
    network, what on Gods' Green Earth makes anyone think that I would CHOOSE to
    buy another Linksys product when ALL that I have ever received from them is a
    functional wireless router (yes, even after seven whole years) and the
    crappiest Customer Service/Technical Support I have ever had the displeasure
    to encounter!
    I shall copy this letter and try to find as many Chat Rooms as possible in
    order to spread the word of ALL that I have gone through with the Chain of
    Command at the Linksys phone center, well above and beyond what any
    reasonable person should expect to go through, and still have NO RELIEF
    concerning my singular issue with their product and its capabilities that I
    SHOULD be able to enjoy as the owner of said product! What has happend to
    "The Customer Is Always Right" Customer Service mantra (I can't say "In
    America" because the call was handled in India)? Is the Customer, the ones
    that makes the company what it is through the purchase of products, so
    worthless to the company that they can just be treated with abject contempt
    and scorn? Is the Customer to thus be trampled underfoot? Are we paying to
    be so abused? I, for one (yes, one, the beginning of all), shall NOT be
    treated in such manner, and CERTAINLY shall NOT PAY to be treated as such!
    In this world of expanding technologies, it shall be those with the
    GREATEST Customer Appeal that shall continue to be found worthwile in the
    publics' eyes (and pocketbooks) and shall grow to meet the demands of a
    growing world - ESPECIALLY in the Electronics Department!
    It is now my strongest desire that the Linksys Corporation suffers
    irreparable damage and goes out of business for their Crappy Customer
    Service! I can only hope that I reach enough people around the world to bring
    this desire true!

    Phil, Oct 18, 2008
  5. =?Utf-8?B?TmF0IDE=?=

    Phil, Oct 18, 2008