Need Help setting up Etherchannel w/ EMC Celerra (Cisco 2970)

Discussion in 'Cisco' started by Todd Richert, Feb 4, 2004.

  1. Todd Richert

    Todd Richert Guest

    Ok I have EMC Celerra data mover ports 1 and 2 connected to ports 13
    and 14 (neighbor ports) on my 2970 (all cabling and terminators are
    cat6 rated).

    EMC assures me that the ports are configured properly on the Celerra
    (i of course don't know how to check ? )

    yet on the cisco if i do for example show ether detail the first line
    says

    Port State = Up Sngl-port-Bndl Mstr Not-in-Bndl

    and gives the same state message for the 2nd port in the bundle .. now
    the config for it in show running shows

    interface GigabitEthernet0/13
    description Port1 EMC1
    switchport trunk native vlan 100
    switchport mode dynamic desirable
    no ip address
    duplex full
    speed 1000
    channel-group 1 mode auto non-silent
    spanning-tree portfast trunk
    !
    interface GigabitEthernet0/14
    description Port2 EEmc1
    switchport trunk native vlan 100
    switchport mode dynamic desirable
    no ip address
    duplex full
    speed 1000
    channel-group 1 mode auto non-silent
    spanning-tree portfast trunk
    !
    port-channel load-balance dst-mac
    spanning-tree mode pvst
    spanning-tree extend system-id
    ------------

    That is all the relevant config on the switch .. any idea why show
    ether detail is showing the channels as individual lines ?

    Todd Richert, Feb 4, 2004

  2. Todd Richert wrote:

    > Ok I have EMC Celerra data mover ports 1 and 2 connected to ports 13
    > and 14 (neighbor ports) on my 2970 (all cabling and terminators are
    > cat6 rated).
    >
    > That is all the relevant config on the switch .. any idea why show
    > ether detail is showing the channels as individual lines ?

    Because the Celera probably doesn't support PAgP (Cisco proprietary)?
    Try 'channel-group 1 mode active' for a LACP group, if the box supports
    it, or just 'channel-group 1 mode on' if not.

    Regards,

    Marco.

    M.C. van den Bovenkamp, Feb 4, 2004

  3. Todd Richert

    Todd Richert Guest

    "M.C. van den Bovenkamp" <> wrote in message news:<40212647$0$129$4all.nl>...
    > Todd Richert wrote:
    >
    > > Ok I have EMC Celerra data mover ports 1 and 2 connected to ports 13
    > > and 14 (neighbor ports) on my 2970 (all cabling and terminators are
    > > cat6 rated).
    > >
    > > That is all the relevant config on the switch .. any idea why show
    > > ether detail is showing the channels as individual lines ?

    > Because the Celera probably doesn't support PAgP (Cisco proprietary)?
    > Try 'channel-group 1 mode active' for a LACP group, if the box supports
    > it, or just 'channel-group 1 mode on' if not.
    >
    > Regards,
    >
    > Marco.

    Marco,

    Ok Progress ! channel-group 1 mode on seems to have done something,
    the status line for both Gig 0/13 and Gig 0/14 now reads

    Port state = Up Mstr In-Bndl
    ----

    My question is should they both be saying Mstr ? I can access the
    device so I know its doing something .. Need to figure out how to test
    this bundle now =)

    Todd Richert, Feb 5, 2004
  4. Todd Richert wrote:

    > Ok Progress ! channel-group 1 mode on seems to have done something,
    > the status line for both Gig 0/13 and Gig 0/14 now reads
    >
    > Port state = Up Mstr In-Bndl
    > ----
    >
    > My question is should they both be saying Mstr ? I can access the
    > device so I know its doing something .. Need to figure out how to test
    > this bundle now =)

    Don't know, to be honest, but it's probably because there isn't a
    'master' per se; you have forced them into a channel group without any
    protocol.

    Regards,

    Marco.

    M.C. van den Bovenkamp, Feb 9, 2004