Need help setting up a wireless DHCP behind a wired non-DHCP network?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by sonicgravy, Nov 13, 2006.

  1. sonicgravy

    sonicgravy

    Joined:
    Nov 13, 2006
    Messages:
    1
    Hi All,
    In short this is what we want to achieve:

    1. To set up a wireless network for clients' laptops so that they can easily connect to the internet. (I'm thinking DHCP)
    2. Do the above whilst maintaining the currently established wired network which has 10 desktop pc's with self assigned IP addresses. (These HAVE to maintain their IP addresses for the music software we use).

    We have a modem, a NETGEAR WGR614 V6, two 5 port ethernet hubs/switches and a linksys WRT54G which is sitting idle.

    Here's what we have:

    1. Speedstream Modem
    2. >NETGEAR WGR614 V6 (DHCP disabled)
    3. 2 hubs and switches connecting 10 pcs/macs with self assinged IP's -Theses machines have to have self assigned IPs for some of the music software we are using).

    We would like to set up a wireless network so that when clients come in with their laptops they can connect right away. They can currently do this, but we have to plug setup their IP address and DNS servers and all that and we would like to avoid having to do that.

    We have a linksys WRT54G wireless router that we are no longer using. Can we put that to use by plugging it in downstream and configure it somehow so that it can assign IP addresses to be our WIRELESS DHCP router?

    Any suggestions would be very much appreciated.

    Thanks

    Felix

    sonicgravy, Nov 13, 2006