    --
    will 68 at mtco dot com
    will dot pittenger1 at gmail dot com (use this address for large signatures)
    Will Pittenger, Mar 18, 2008

  2. Will Pittenger

    Barb Bowman Guest

    WPA2 wireless security. Use a password to protect the router itself.
    WPA2 can't be broken
    WPA can be broken by a dictionary attack
    WEP is unsafe and can be broken in less time than it takes to read
    this message

    setup the router first with a wired computer.

    --

    Barb Bowman
    MS-MVP
    Barb Bowman, Mar 18, 2008

  3. Hi
    From the weakest to the strongest, Wireless security capacity is.
    No Security
    WEP64____(Easy, to "Brake" by knowledgeable people).
    WPA-PSK__(Very Hard to Brake ).
    WPA-AES__(Not functionally Breakable)
    WPA2____ (Not functionally Breakable).
    your Wireless hardware.
    phrase.
    of one of the Wireless devices.
    device with a better one.
    http://www.ezlan.net/wpa_wep.html
    Jack (MVP-Networking).

    Jack \(MVP-Networking\)., Mar 18, 2008
  4. The basic router was setup by the guy that installed our DSL. We just
    need to secure it. I can access the router's config page from any
    computer on the network.

    Will Pittenger, Mar 18, 2008
  5. Will Pittenger

    John Guest

    Linksys manual is available at www.linksys.com

    Basically, you need to do the following:
    1) Password protect web configuration page so no one can get in there (the
    whole world knows Linksys default password - admin)

    2) Enable WPA or WPA2 security (it's all in the manual) + encryption and
    create a shared key which will be used by all wireless PCs/Notebooks to join
    your network. Without the shared key, no PCs can join your wifi network.

    3) <optional> Disable access to router's config page thru wireless
    connection

    Note: using words found in the dictionary as password/shared key isn't a
    smart choice.

    That's it.

    John, Mar 18, 2008