Need help salvaging photos from Digital Wallet.

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by Raymond Leung, Sep 20, 2004.

  1. Hi,

    I have a 3G Digital Wallet from Minds@Work and have used it
    quite a few times. So far so good until now...

    I just came back from a trip and I have stored 12 uploads from
    my compact fash card (256M) during the trip. Now back at home,
    I have problem reading one of these 12 uploads (the 6th upload).
    I couldn't open the folder on a Windows XP system with the
    digital wallet connected. The other 11 are fine. I then tried
    to upload it back to the CF card and manage to upload about 100
    of the 300+ photos in that download. It said it has some errors.

    I'm thinking of taking out the hard disk and connect it directly
    to a computer and try to salvage the other files. I am trying
    to find out the partition and file formats of the Digital Wallet
    and couldn't find much info on the net.

    Does anyone have information about the disk partition format
    of the Digital Wallet? Is it a simple FAT patition? I would
    greatly appreciate any info regarding the disk/partition format
    of the digital wallet hard disk.

    Thanks.
    Raymond

    Raymond Leung, Sep 20, 2004

  2. Raymond Leung

    Jer Guest

    Raymond Leung wrote:

    > Hi,
    >
    > I have a 3G Digital Wallet from Minds@Work and have used it
    > quite a few times. So far so good until now...
    >
    > I just came back from a trip and I have stored 12 uploads from
    > my compact fash card (256M) during the trip. Now back at home,
    > I have problem reading one of these 12 uploads (the 6th upload).
    > I couldn't open the folder on a Windows XP system with the
    > digital wallet connected. The other 11 are fine. I then tried
    > to upload it back to the CF card and manage to upload about 100
    > of the 300+ photos in that download. It said it has some errors.
    >
    > I'm thinking of taking out the hard disk and connect it directly
    > to a computer and try to salvage the other files. I am trying
    > to find out the partition and file formats of the Digital Wallet
    > and couldn't find much info on the net.
    >
    > Does anyone have information about the disk partition format
    > of the Digital Wallet? Is it a simple FAT patition? I would
    > greatly appreciate any info regarding the disk/partition format
    > of the digital wallet hard disk.
    >
    > Thanks.
    > Raymond

    I have no specific knowledge about the specs of Digital Wallet. My
    guess is it's just another simple ATA-type drive with a FAT-16 or FAT-32
    translator (depending on capacity). Since you have access to Winders-XP
    w/Plug n' Pray, plug that puppy in on the secondary drive channel
    connector. If that doesn't seem to work right off, be certain the sec
    channel is enable in BIOS. If the drive spins up, Winders just may be
    able to automagically figure out the translator. If it was me, I'd give
    it a shot.

    --
    jer email reply - I am not a 'ten'
    "All that we do is touched with ocean, yet we remain on the shore of

    Jer, Sep 20, 2004

  3. I finally found there is a Yahoo group dedicated to digital wallet:

    And a couple web pages that has detail technical information:
    http://www.wmuma.com/other/digitalwallet/
    http://members.cox.net/steved64/mindstor/

    I managed to salvage the upload and got back all my photos
    by connecting the digital wallet hard disk directly to
    a linux system.

    I use the linux disk editor (http://lde.sourceforge.net/)
    to fix a couple corrupted sectors in the FAT table by
    copying those sectors from a second copy of the FAT
    table on the disk.

    I'm now happy. :)

    Raymond

    Raymond Leung, Sep 24, 2004