    message. Can anyone help me by providing me with some options, preferrable
    free ones. I'm a bit of a novice when it comes to computers so if you could
    keep it simple that would be appreciated. thanks
    =?Utf-8?B?QQ==?=, Apr 19, 2006

  2. =?Utf-8?B?QQ==?=

    Malke Guest

    A wrote:

    > I keep getting the following message from the icon with the white x on
    > the red background at the bottom of the screen:
    > "Your computer is infected! Windows has detected spyware infection. It
    > is recommended to use special antispyware tools to prevent data loss.
    > Windows will now download and install the most up-to-date antispyware
    > for you. Click here to protect your computer from spyware!"
    > When I click where it says, nothing happens - no downloading or
    > installing. I tried installing and running Ad-Aware SE Personal but I
    > still get the above message. Can anyone help me by providing me with
    > some options, preferrable free ones. I'm a bit of a novice when it
    > comes to computers so if you could keep it simple that would be
    > appreciated. thanks

    Well, I'm afraid there isn't any way to "keep it simple". Removing some
    malware can be very complex. I'll give you the steps to try, but if
    they look daunting take your machine to a professional computer repair
    shop (not your local version of BigStoreUSA). There is no shame in
    doing this; I don't hesitate to take my car to the mechanic.

    It really depends on what type of malware you have and I can't guess
    whether it is a Winfixer or Smitfraud clone from your description. In
    any case, start with the preparatory work here:

    Then I'd try these tools:
    http://www.elephantboycomputers.com/page2.html#Smitfraud_Trojan

    Also see:
    http://wiki.castlecops.com/Malware_Removal:_SpyAxe_Removal
    http://malwareremoval.com/plog/index.php?op=ViewArticle&articleId=85&blogId=3

    If Winfixer, see:
    http://www.elephantboycomputers.com/page2.html#Winfixer

    Finish up with the general malware removal steps at the first link. If
    you still can't get clean, you'll need to run HijackThis and post your
    log at one of the forums listed at the first link (not here, please).

    Malke
    --
    Elephant Boy Computers
    www.elephantboycomputers.com