    Help!!!!

    Thanks!
    June

    ShantiP1, Dec 14, 2003

  2. ShantiP1

    bmoag Guest

    Rebooting should take care of the problem.

    bmoag, Dec 14, 2003

  3. ShantiP1

    Duane Arnold Guest

    (ShantiP1) wrote in

    > I was having a problem with disk drive so I deleted it in device
    > manager and now I don't know how to reinstall it in there.
    > It shows up on "my computer", but not in the device manager.
    > Windows xp is my operating system.
    >
    > Help!!!!
    >
    > Thanks!
    > June

    You right-click on the MY Computer line and go to
    Properties/Hardware/Device Manager -- Disk Drive or Floppy Disk Drive and
    find the device in question. It should have a RED X indicating that the XP
    doesn't recognize it. Then you right-click the line and go to
    Properties/Driver to install the driver. The driver is most likely on the
    XP install CD and tell it to do the search. If you don't have the XP
    Install cd then, you may have to go to the WEBsite for the device and
    download the driver.

    Duane :)

    Duane Arnold, Dec 14, 2003
  4. ShantiP1

    ShantiP1 Guest

    Duane, the drive isn't showing in Device manager. I deleted it. Now I don't
    know how to get it back.
    I went to device manager and deleted all the files in the IDE folder and
    rebooted (a suggestion from someone), but that didn't do the trick. I'm still
    only showing on cd drive in device manager and two should be showing.
    Any other suggestions?

    Thanks!
    June

    ShantiP1, Dec 14, 2003
  5. ShantiP1

    Duane Arnold Guest

    (ShantiP1) wrote in

    > Duane, the drive isn't showing in Device manager. I deleted it. Now I
    > don't know how to get it back.
    > I went to device manager and deleted all the files in the IDE folder
    > and rebooted (a suggestion from someone), but that didn't do the
    > trick. I'm still only showing on cd drive in device manager and two
    > should be showing. Any other suggestions?
    >
    > Thanks!
    > June

    The choice you have is to go to Control Panel\Classic View (at the top of
    the screen) and go to Add new Hardware and run the Detect new Hardware
    and see if that will pickup the devices in Device Manager.

    The other choice is to do an *UPGRADE* install of the XP O/S over the top
    of itself. And during that install process, the XP install will detect
    everything that's missing and put it back along with installing the
    appropriate drivers.

    Doing the *UPGRADE* over the top of the existing XP O/S will not break
    the existing functionality of any applications or programs that have been
    installed on the computer.

    However, you will need to reapply any SP(s) and Security hot fixes that
    have been applied to the XP O/S, because they will have been removed by
    doing the install upgrade method.

    I throw this into the reply post too sometimes. :)

    http://www.uksecurityonline.com/husdg/windowsxp.php

    Duane :)

    Duane Arnold, Dec 14, 2003
  6. ShantiP1

    ShantiP1 Guest

    Duane, it's not detecting new hardware.
    I can't reinstall xp because my cd drives aren't working! Any other
    suggestions!

    Thanks!
    June

    ShantiP1, Dec 14, 2003
  7. ShantiP1

    Duane Arnold Guest

    (ShantiP1) wrote in news:20031214172538.11201.00000780
    @mb-m11.aol.com:

    > Duane, it's not detecting new hardware.
    > I can't reinstall xp because my cd drives aren't working! Any other
    > suggestions!
    >
    > Thanks!
    > June

    Well,

    What can I say! Your next option is going to the BIOS on the machine and
    telling it to *Boot from the CD first* in it's boot drive sequence, since
    the XP install CD is a bootable CD. The XP install CD will supply its own
    CD driver so that the CD will function during the install process.

    At the boot sequnce on the machine, it will ask you to press a *KEY* to
    enter into the BIOS Setup screen. That's before XP even gets to its logo
    screen on the bootup.

    At some point during the XP install process, it will present a decision
    for you to make of doing a clean install or repairing the existing O/S
    the *UPGRADE*, which may ask for a repair diskette. But I think you can
    go around the diskette part and continue with the *UPGRADE*. I don't
    remember at that point what the paths are so you'll have to play it with
    no radar at that point and see what it does.

    I don't know what to tell you after this, other than, boot from the CD
    and wipe the machine out with a clean install! <g>

    You should be kicking somebody's *ass* for putting you into this
    situation! <g>

    Duane :)

    Duane Arnold, Dec 14, 2003