Need Help Rebuilding Registry Deleted Userinit Entry

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by flounderino, Dec 31, 2004.

  1. flounderino

    flounderino Guest

    Help!!! I was in the process of deleting spyware from a friends compute
    called WindowsSA. Foolishly I followed some online instructions an
    deleted the registry entry for "userinit." Now WinXP Home is stuck in
    login - logoff loop. It allows me to enter the password then instantl
    logs off back to the welcome screen.

    I have found some similar posts but I am stuck because I am a newbie
    One suggest to run the WinXP recovery console, but I am prompted for
    password, and the password that I use for the admin account in WinX
    does not seem to work.

    Is the built-in admin password for the WinXP recovery console th
    same as the WinXP admin account password?

    I have downloaded and "austrumi" and "EBCD" should I boot with thes
    and replace the WinXP admin password using these utilities? Will tha
    then allow me to access the WinXP recovery console?

    Unfortunately there are important files in the PC so I am hesitant t
    reformat or reinstall WinXP on top of the current one, even though som
    posts say that it will not delete any files only system files.

    Any help would be greatly appreciated. Need to figure this out ASAP
    Happy New Year to all!!

    --
    flounderin
    flounderino's Profile: http://www.iamnotageek.com/member.php?userid=872