Need help processing passport photo

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by KeafMcRiff@aol.com, May 22, 2006.

  1. Guest

    Hello!

    I am looking for somebody who would process my passport photo. It is in
    the correct format (2x2in.) but it needs some processing. If you are
    proficient with PhotoShop or some similar program, I would be grateful
    if you helped me.
    It needs three things to be done:
    1. Erase the blue smudges from the background.
    2. Adjust the contrast and colors, so it looks natural.
    3. Make three files:
    a) one photo in the center of the page
    b) 6 photos together to form a 4X6 rectangle. This could be printed
    on a 5x7in. paper
    c) 20 photos together to form a 8x10in. rectangle. This could be
    printed on
    a 8.5X11in.sheet.
    I tried doing this with the programs I have on my computer (PhotoShop
    Starter Edition, MS Image Composer, Corel PhotoPaint, etc.) but with
    not satisfactory results. Learning PhotoShop at Kinko's or going to a
    professional photographer are expensive options.

    I suppose that it would take less than 15 minutes for somebody who
    knows what he is doing, so if you don't mind doing it, send me an
    email. I will send the photo.

    Thank you for the help.

    Roman
    , May 22, 2006

  2. Paul Rubin Guest

    writes:
    > I suppose that it would take less than 15 minutes for somebody who
    > knows what he is doing, so if you don't mind doing it, send me an
    > email. I will send the photo.

    I did something like that for my own passport photo using Gimp, with
    very little Gimp experience and basically no skills (I used the online
    help for instructions). It took more than 15 minutes, though not a
    whole lot more. Maybe it would have been quicker if I were doing a
    lot of them. Gimp is free and you can download it via www.gimp.org.
    When I did my own, it was an enjoyable enough do-it-yourself
    experience that I didn't mind spending the time, but I couldn't see
    doing somebody else's for free. If you download Gimp maybe you can
    have a similar experience.

    If you really want someone else to do it for you, I can forward your
    contact info to a friend who's good with this kind of thing (unlike
    me) and and whose rates would be pretty reasonable (lower than mine).
    A personal note at http://paulrubin.com is the best way to reach me
    (ignore the dialog about the expired certificate, I need to fix that).
    Paul Rubin, May 22, 2006

  3. wrote:
    > Hello!
    >
    > I am looking for somebody who would process my passport photo. It is in
    > the correct format (2x2in.) but it needs some processing. If you are
    > proficient with PhotoShop or some similar program, I would be grateful
    > if you helped me.
    > It needs three things to be done:
    > 1. Erase the blue smudges from the background.
    > 2. Adjust the contrast and colors, so it looks natural.

    Retake them, and do it right.

    I'd no more alter the photos of a stranger for passport purposes than
    I'd lend a large sum of money to him or her.

    Why, prithee, are you asking for this rather than redoing it.

    --
    John McWilliams
    John McWilliams, May 23, 2006
  4. Stewy Guest

    In article <>,
    wrote:

    > Hello!
    >
    > I am looking for somebody who would process my passport photo. It is in
    > the correct format (2x2in.) but it needs some processing. If you are
    > proficient with PhotoShop or some similar program, I would be grateful
    > if you helped me.
    > It needs three things to be done:
    > 1. Erase the blue smudges from the background.

    Click F7 (Layers) Convert the the picture to Layer 0. Use the magnetic
    lasso to frame the head then choose Inverse from the Select menu. Then
    press Delete. For a more natural result try feathering the selection
    (Select - Feather)
    > 2. Adjust the contrast and colors, so it looks natural.

    Image - Adjustments - Levels

    > 3. Make three files:
    > a) one photo in the center of the page
    > b) 6 photos together to form a 4X6 rectangle. This could be printed
    > on a 5x7in. paper
    > c) 20 photos together to form a 8x10in. rectangle. This could be
    > printed on
    > a 8.5X11in.sheet.

    The printer software may be able to do this. If not, you need to learn
    about adjusting the Canvas size and the Image size.
    Stewy, May 23, 2006
  5. In article <>,
    <> wrote:

    > I am looking for somebody who would process my passport photo. It is in
    > the correct format (2x2in.) but it needs some processing. If you are
    > proficient with PhotoShop or some similar program, I would be grateful
    > if you helped me.
    > It needs three things to be done:
    > 1. Erase the blue smudges from the background.
    > 2. Adjust the contrast and colors, so it looks natural.
    > 3. Make three files:
    > a) one photo in the center of the page
    > b) 6 photos together to form a 4X6 rectangle. This could be printed
    > on a 5x7in. paper
    > c) 20 photos together to form a 8x10in. rectangle. This could be
    > printed on
    > a 8.5X11in.sheet.
    > I tried doing this with the programs I have on my computer (PhotoShop
    > Starter Edition, MS Image Composer, Corel PhotoPaint, etc.) but with
    > not satisfactory results. Learning PhotoShop at Kinko's or going to a
    > professional photographer are expensive options.
    >
    > I suppose that it would take less than 15 minutes for somebody who
    > knows what he is doing, so if you don't mind doing it, send me an
    > email. I will send the photo.

    Who in the hell prints passport pictures?
    Randall Ainsworth, May 23, 2006
  6. ASAAR Guest

    On Mon, 22 May 2006 18:24:55 -0700, Randall Ainsworth wrote:

    > Who in the hell prints passport pictures?

    Passport picture printers do. Who in the hell doesn't know that?
    :)
    ASAAR, May 23, 2006
  7. Guest

    It was done by a professional photographer, so the size, position and
    lighting are good.
    , May 23, 2006
  8. Ron Hunter Guest

    ASAAR wrote:
    > On Mon, 22 May 2006 18:24:55 -0700, Randall Ainsworth wrote:
    >
    >> Who in the hell prints passport pictures?

    > Passport picture printers do. Who in the hell doesn't know that?
    > :)

    Hummm. New passports are made from digital photos. No longer necessary
    to get a picture done at a photo place. Will be getting a new passport
    soon, and the .gov site indicates these are done at the post office that
    handles new passports. I believe you can still bring a photo, but why
    bother?
    Ron Hunter, May 23, 2006
  9. Paul Rubin Guest

    Ron Hunter <> writes:
    > Hummm. New passports are made from digital photos. No longer
    > necessary to get a picture done at a photo place. Will be getting a
    > new passport soon, and the .gov site indicates these are done at the
    > post office that handles new passports. I believe you can still bring
    > a photo, but why bother?

    The usual application still requires you to supply your own photo:

    http://travel.state.gov/passport/get/get_840.html

    Of course some of the places that handle passport applications will
    also take your picture.

    If you're thinking of renewing or applying for a passport anytime
    soon, better do it now. The plan to install RFID chips in passports
    is apparently still on, and predicted to begin late this year (it's
    slipped several times already). But passports being issued now don't
    have them.
    Paul Rubin, May 23, 2006
  10. ASAAR Guest

    On Tue, 23 May 2006 03:02:52 -0500, Ron Hunter wrote:

    >>> Who in the hell prints passport pictures?

    >> Passport picture printers do. Who in the hell doesn't know that?
    >> :)

    > Hummm. New passports are made from digital photos. No longer
    > necessary to get a picture done at a photo place. Will be getting a new
    > passport soon, and the .gov site indicates these are done at the post office
    > that handles new passports. I believe you can still bring a photo, but why
    > bother?

    So for you, the passport picture printers are located at the post
    office that handles passport applications. I said not a word about
    traditional photo places. The one I used to get my passport photo
    has been gone for several years, but I'm not assuming that all photo
    places no longer take passport photos. Whether it's a bother or
    not, if you bring your own photo, then YOU are the passport picture
    printer. Some people suffering from excessive vanity might prefer
    providing their own photo, rather than risk being given a passport
    bearing a less than flattering mug shot, resembling J. Fred Muggs.
    :)
    ASAAR, May 23, 2006
  11. On Tue, 23 May 2006 03:02:52 -0500, Ron Hunter <> wrote:
    > ASAAR wrote:
    >> On Mon, 22 May 2006 18:24:55 -0700, Randall Ainsworth wrote:
    >>
    >>> Who in the hell prints passport pictures?

    >> Passport picture printers do. Who in the hell doesn't know that?
    >> :)
    >>

    > Hummm. New passports are made from digital photos. No longer necessary
    > to get a picture done at a photo place. Will be getting a new passport
    > soon, and the .gov site indicates these are done at the post office that
    > handles new passports. I believe you can still bring a photo, but why
    > bother?

    A lot of places will do it. I just renewed my passport a few months ago,
    and got the pictures taken at Walgreens. They had a pull-down white
    screen next to the photo printer to provide a clean background, and the
    salesperson just took out a regular compact digital, took one photo, and
    then used the kiosk printer to make the prints. Mail in the prints, the
    application form, the old passport, and a check, and (eventually) the
    new one shows up in the mail.

    -dms
    Daniel Silevitch, May 23, 2006
  12. wrote:
    > It was done by a professional photographer, so the size, position and
    > lighting are good.

    Good! Take the pictures back to the professional and tell him they are no
    use and do not conform to Government requirements. He will have to do them
    again for free.
    Dennis Pogson, May 23, 2006
  13. Paul Rubin Guest

    "Dennis Pogson" <> writes:
    > Good! Take the pictures back to the professional and tell him they are no
    > use and do not conform to Government requirements. He will have to do them
    > again for free.

    I don't think there was any claim that the pics didn't conform to govt
    requirements. The OP simply wanted the file crunched around to put
    multiple copies of the pic on a single piece of paper.
    Paul Rubin, May 23, 2006
  14. Tony M Guest

    * Paul Rubin wrote, On 23/05/2006 17:24:
    > "Dennis Pogson" <> writes:
    >> Good! Take the pictures back to the professional and tell him they are no
    >> use and do not conform to Government requirements. He will have to do them
    >> again for free.

    > I don't think there was any claim that the pics didn't conform to govt
    > requirements. The OP simply wanted the file crunched around to put
    > multiple copies of the pic on a single piece of paper.

    No, the OP wants a photo for an official document modified
    Tony M, May 23, 2006
  15. Paul Rubin Guest

    Tony M <> writes:
    > No, the OP wants a photo for an official document modified

    I checked back, he wanted some color adjustment and some crud removed
    from the background. There's no issue with either of those. The
    instructions on the passport application form say to submit a photo
    that hasn't been altered to change your appearance. If the
    adjustments don't change your appearance that sounds like they're
    fine. When I did my own passport picture recently I stood against a
    wall for it, and there was a light switch next to my shoulder, which I
    removed with Gimp. No big deal.

    All passport applicants must show up in person to apply for a
    passport, including tiny kids whose parents fill in the actual papers.
    The passport agent looks at the picture to make sure that it's you.
    You can't just mail in a picture of somebody else, if that's what
    you're imagining.
    Paul Rubin, May 23, 2006
  16. Ron Hunter Guest

    Paul Rubin wrote:
    > Ron Hunter <> writes:
    >> Hummm. New passports are made from digital photos. No longer
    >> necessary to get a picture done at a photo place. Will be getting a
    >> new passport soon, and the .gov site indicates these are done at the
    >> post office that handles new passports. I believe you can still bring
    >> a photo, but why bother?

    > The usual application still requires you to supply your own photo:
    >
    > http://travel.state.gov/passport/get/get_840.html
    >
    > Of course some of the places that handle passport applications will
    > also take your picture.
    >
    > If you're thinking of renewing or applying for a passport anytime
    > soon, better do it now. The plan to install RFID chips in passports
    > is apparently still on, and predicted to begin late this year (it's
    > slipped several times already). But passports being issued now don't
    > have them.

    I will be getting a passport soon (old one expired more than 10 years
    ago), for travel out of the country in October. Checking with the
    government (US) instructions indicated that the local passport
    facilities at our post offices take their own photos (digitally). Don't
    know if that applies to all offices, but in this city, it does. Perhaps
    not all offices have the necessary equipment.

    Seems to me that if the price of first class mail keeps going up 10%
    every couple of years, they could afford a cheap digital camera for
    every office that takes passport applications....
    Ron Hunter, May 24, 2006
  17. Ron Hunter Guest

    ASAAR wrote:

    >>> Passport picture printers do. Who in the hell doesn't know that?
    >>> :)

    >> Hummm. New passports are made from digital photos. No longer
    >> necessary to get a picture done at a photo place. Will be getting a new
    >> passport soon, and the .gov site indicates these are done at the post office
    >> that handles new passports. I believe you can still bring a photo, but why
    >> bother?

    > So for you, the passport picture printers are located at the post
    > office that handles passport applications. I said not a word about
    > traditional photo places. The one I used to get my passport photo
    > has been gone for several years, but I'm not assuming that all photo
    > places no longer take passport photos. Whether it's a bother or
    > not, if you bring your own photo, then YOU are the passport picture
    > printer. Some people suffering from excessive vanity might prefer
    > providing their own photo, rather than risk being given a passport
    > bearing a less than flattering mug shot, resembling J. Fred Muggs.
    > :)

    Vanity isn't one of my many faults. My mirror insists on reminding me
    that I am getting old, bald, and fat. Not much I can do for the first
    two, and the last is an artifact of the only remaining vice my doctor
    allows, eating. sigh.
    Ron Hunter, May 24, 2006
  18. Paul Rubin Guest

    Ron Hunter <> writes:
    > I will be getting a passport soon (old one expired more than 10 years
    > ago), for travel out of the country in October. Checking with the
    > government (US) instructions indicated that the local passport
    > facilities at our post offices take their own photos (digitally).
    > Don't know if that applies to all offices, but in this city, it does.
    > Perhaps not all offices have the necessary equipment.

    They probably charge you to take the picture. Having them take your
    picture (instead of bringing your own) is certainly not an official
    requirement. The actual passport agencies (i.e. the ones operated by
    the State Dept, as opposed to the "acceptance facilities" which mail
    the paperwork to the agencies) certainly don't take pictures.

    I shot my own picture, cleaned it up with Gimp and put two
    appropriately scaled copies into a single jpeg for printing at 4x6",
    then wrote it to a CF card and brought it to Walgreens where they
    printed it for 31 cents including tax, not bad at all. Walgreens (at
    least the one I used) also has a booth where they take your picture
    for $8.95 or something like that, I guess also not bad considering,
    though I don't know if they charge for extra copies. I got several
    additional 31 cent prints made (useful for visa applications etc).
    Paul Rubin, May 24, 2006
  19. Pat Guest

    Sorry for your situation, but the long and the short of it is that you
    either have to have the pictures retaken or go back to the original
    photographer and have him/her do it.

    While the instruction on how to alter it yourself may be correct, the
    fact is that your photo was done by a professional photographer and
    there is a 99.99% chance that he/she retains ownership of the copyright
    to those images. Your unauthorized alteration and/or reproduction
    would violate copyright law. Is this a convenient law that should help
    the photographer to make more money? Yes, but that's life and there's
    not much that you can do about it.

    You best bet is to find someone who can reshoot a passport picture. If
    you have a digital camera and a white wall, you can even do it yourself
    (if you have really long arms) or you might enlist the services of a
    friend,
    Pat, May 24, 2006
  20. Frank ess Guest

    On 2005-02-01 a citizen poses for passport photo in the USPS 'studio':
    http://static.flickr.com/53/152575135_5a992d24ff_o.jpg

    Photo Shop 'film grain' filter.

    --
    Frank ess