Need Help Printing within Web Browser using a Windows Forms Control

Discussion in 'MCSD' started by Nigel, Aug 15, 2003.

  1. Nigel

    Nigel Guest

    I successfully create a .NET Component (Visual Basic .NET) that would
    print, unfortunately when used within a web browser it appears that .NET
    security doesn't allow you to run code that interacts with the file system
    (including printing) from the web browser. How do I disabled this so I can
    get my windows form control to work within IE?

    Also, do any have any printing code or know how I can implement multipage
    printing using the PrintDocument class? The MSDN example only has printing
    via StreamReader class see
    http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/d...temDrawingPrintingPrintDocumentClassTopic.asp
    also I can't find anything on msdn to help me implement multi-page printing
    in my program using the PrintDocument class.

    The Visual Basic .NET Step by Step book has the following code and text:

    Imports System.Drawing.Printing

    Private Sub PrintText(ByVal sender As Object, ByVal ev As
    PrintPageEventArgs)
    ev.Graphics.DrawString(TextBox1.Text, New Font("Arial", 11,
    FontStyle.Regular), Brushes.Black, 120, 120)
    ev.HasMorePages = False
    End Sub

    Private Sub Button2_Click(ByVal sender As System.Object, ByVal e As
    System.EventArgs) Handles Button2.Click
    Try
    Dim PrintDoc As New PrintDocument()
    AddHandler PrintDoc.PrintPage, AddressOf Me.PrintText
    PrintDoc.Print()
    Catch ex As Exception
    MessageBox.Show("Sorry--there is a problem printing", ex.ToString())
    End Try
    End Sub

    This code only prints one page. The book states "To handle multipage
    printouts, you need to create a virtual page of text called the PrintPage,
    and then add text to it until the page is full. When the page is full, it
    will be sent to the printer and this process continues until there is no
    more text to print. At this point, the print job ends."

    "The PrintPage event occurs when a page is printed. PrintPage receives an
    argument of the type PrintPageEventArgs, which provides you with the
    dimensions and characters of the current printer page. Another mechanism is
    the Graphics.MeasureString method which can be used to determine how many
    characteristics & lines can fit in a rectangular area of the page"

    I tried looking for information on how to implement this but found now. How
    do I implement MultiPage printing?

    Not only do I want to know how to multipage print using the PrintDocument
    class I also do not want to use Crystal Reports or pdf for report generation
    in the web browser in order to print reports from web browser. I saw the
    microsoft MCP website used an ActiveX control to print your MCP Transcript.
    That's exactly what I want. To pull information from an SQL Server database
    and bulid mu own print page/s with the text and graphics I want on it so I
    can have my report.
    Nigel, Aug 15, 2003