Need help on Type 5 LSA

Discussion in 'Cisco' started by srini, Oct 10, 2006.

  1. srini

    srini Guest

    Hi,

    I have two basic question.

    1. Say we have three routers R1, R2 and R3 connected thru multiaccess
    segement. The DR and BDR selection is done (assume DR=R1, BDR=R2).
    We have one more setup on which routers R4,R5 and R6 connected thru
    multiaccess segment.In this case also DR and BDR selection is done. Now
    what
    happens if we join these two segements, does routers automatically
    initiate
    DR/BDR selecton after coming to know the existence of another DR/BDR in
    the
    segment (all routers are part of same area, say area 0), OR do we need
    manually clear the ospf process so that the DR/BDR selection happens
    again?.

    2. What exactly is the use of having two types of path types(E1 and E2)
    for
    Type-5 LSA.

    Suppose we have routers connected in this fashion with the below
    costs.

    R10---5------R20----10------R50-----network 10.2.1.0
    R10---15-----R40----5-------R50-----network 10.2.1.0
    (All routers are part of Area 0.)

    In case of Type 1 the cost to reach network 10.2.1.0 from R10 is 15
    (least
    cost). The path choosen is R10-R20-R50.
    Suppose we distribute network 10.2.1.0 as type-2, then also the path
    choose
    will be R10-R20-R50, because R10 chooses least cost path to reach ASBR.

    So in both cases the path choosen will be same. So why do we need this
    differentiation of Type1 and Type2. What exactly is the purpose for
    this.

    Any help on this would be appriciated.

    Thanks,
    -Srini.