Need help on carbon fiber tripods

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by Roger N. Clark (change username to rnclark), Apr 24, 2007.

  1. Hi,

    I currently have Gitzo 1228 and 1348 carbon fiber tripods.
    The 1228 is about 21 inches folded length and weighs 3.4 pounds.
    I also have very small travel tripods that are 8 inches
    and less in folded length, but are too small extended
    and not very sturdy.

    I would like a smaller carbon fiber tripod, like 12 to 15 inches
    in length, with 4 sections extending to something like 40
    inches or more. Gitzo has a whole new lineup of tripods and
    the GT1540T ($560) or GT1550T ($640) seem close to what
    I would like in size and weight. These cost more than
    I paid for my Gitzo 1228, a much more capable tripod.
    Is there a lower cost alternative? Carbon fiber tripods
    were already very expensive but Gitzo's new lineup is
    pushing new levels of greed. Does anyone have experience
    with these tripods and what justifies the huge increase in
    cost? Is there some similar carbon fiber tripod from
    another manufacturer that is lower in cost but still good
    carbon fiber performance? (What are the largest leg diameters?)

    Second question: any recommendations for a ball head:
    I have arca-swiss B1G and B1 ball heads (B1 on the Gitzo 1228).
    I would like something a little smaller than a B1 but still
    have good control (separate azimuth tension and lock from
    the ball tension and lock). The head should have a 3/8-inch
    post with no clamp (I'll add a Wimberly clamp).

    The tripod and head will hold typically a Canon 30D with
    wide to normal lenses up to 70-200 f/4 L IS plus 1.4x TC.

    Roger
    Roger N. Clark (change username to rnclark), Apr 24, 2007

    Toby Guest

    "Roger N. Clark (change username to rnclark)" <> wrote in
    message news:...
    > Hi,
    >
    > I currently have Gitzo 1228 and 1348 carbon fiber tripods.
    > The 1228 is about 21 inches folded length and weighs 3.4 pounds.
    > I also have very small travel tripods that are 8 inches
    > and less in folded length, but are too small extended
    > and not very sturdy.
    >
    > I would like a smaller carbon fiber tripod, like 12 to 15 inches
    > in length, with 4 sections extending to something like 40
    > inches or more. Gitzo has a whole new lineup of tripods and
    > the GT1540T ($560) or GT1550T ($640) seem close to what
    > I would like in size and weight. These cost more than
    > I paid for my Gitzo 1228, a much more capable tripod.
    > Is there a lower cost alternative? Carbon fiber tripods
    > were already very expensive but Gitzo's new lineup is
    > pushing new levels of greed. Does anyone have experience
    > with these tripods and what justifies the huge increase in
    > cost? Is there some similar carbon fiber tripod from
    > another manufacturer that is lower in cost but still good
    > carbon fiber performance? (What are the largest leg diameters?)
    >
    > Second question: any recommendations for a ball head:
    > I have arca-swiss B1G and B1 ball heads (B1 on the Gitzo 1228).
    > I would like something a little smaller than a B1 but still
    > have good control (separate azimuth tension and lock from
    > the ball tension and lock). The head should have a 3/8-inch
    > post with no clamp (I'll add a Wimberly clamp).
    >
    > The tripod and head will hold typically a Canon 30D with
    > wide to normal lenses up to 70-200 f/4 L IS plus 1.4x TC.

    I have a Gitzo 3 section aluminum tripod (forget the number but it's similar
    to the 1227), and both Velbon and Slik carbon fiber legs of similar
    diameter. I've done some tests and actually can't find much difference
    between them in terms of flexing, weight capacity, etc. A Japanese camera
    mag ran some carbon fiber tests as well, and the most significant
    determinant of tripod stability was leg diameter. Tripods are not rocket
    science--rigidity depends mostly on wall thickness and leg diameter. The
    Gitzos, I read, have slightly thicker walls and are thus slightly more rigid
    than their competitors, but the difference is really quite small. I have
    been quite happy with the build quality of both the Velbon and the Slik.
    They are not quite as "haute couture" as my Gitzos but they are well
    designed and completely functional--good leg locks, etc. I haven't checked
    out their model line lately, but they may have something similar to what you
    are looking for.

    Toby
    Toby, Apr 24, 2007

  3. In article <>, says...
    > Hi,
    >

    > I would like a smaller carbon fiber tripod, like 12 to 15 inches
    > in length, with 4 sections extending to something like 40
    > inches or more. Gitzo has a whole new lineup of tripods and
    > the GT1540T ($560) or GT1550T ($640) seem close to what
    > I would like in size and weight. These cost more than
    > I paid for my Gitzo 1228, a much more capable tripod.
    > Is there a lower cost alternative?

    Roger, may I suggest taking a look at the Benro range ?

    They err, look quite a lot like the Gitzos! But at around 1/2 of the
    price.. (In the UK anyway)

    I have the C228n6 which is, I believe, equivalent to the 1228.

    http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=290108102562

    T.
    --
    Do Binary Tripods have 11 legs ?
    Tony Gartshore, Apr 24, 2007
  4. "Roger N. Clark (change username to rnclark)" <> writes:

    > I would like a smaller carbon fiber tripod, like 12 to 15 inches
    > in length, with 4 sections extending to something like 40
    > inches or more. Gitzo has a whole new lineup of tripods and

    Slik do some nice CF pods, and a 99% of an Arca BH for a fraction
    of the price. The pods are also a fraction of gutso's price as well...

    Can get the models for you if need be, drop me mail.
    Paul Repacholi, Apr 24, 2007
  5. On Wed, 25 Apr 2007 01:44:05 +0800, Paul Repacholi
    <> wrote:

    >"Roger N. Clark (change username to rnclark)" <> writes:
    >
    >> I would like a smaller carbon fiber tripod, like 12 to 15 inches
    >> in length, with 4 sections extending to something like 40
    >> inches or more. Gitzo has a whole new lineup of tripods and

    >Slik do some nice CF pods, and a 99% of an Arca BH for a fraction
    >of the price. The pods are also a fraction of gutso's price as well...
    >
    >Can get the models for you if need be, drop me mail.

    The Slik ballheads are OK but don't have the great Arca Swiss type
    clamp system.

    I'd go Benro for ballheads and tripods for the biggest bang for the
    buck. The Benro CF tripods are pretty close to a Gitzo in every way,
    right down to having the same type of logo in the same placement. I
    have a C228 which is less than half the price of the nearly identical
    Gitzo.

    For ballheads, there's nothing that's really a bargain and really
    good. There's nothing quite as nice to use as a real Arca Swiss,
    Really Right Stuff, Kirk or Markins ( and a few others). All use the
    AS clamp system. The Benros are a good compromise for the money, being
    similar in design to the Arca or Kirk heads.
    Oliver Costich, Apr 25, 2007