Need help making a VPN client connection within Windows 2000 Scheduled Task

Discussion in 'Cisco' started by Richard A. Wells, Jun 29, 2005.

  1. Hi folks,

    I have a batch procedure that invokes a certificate-secured
    VPNclient.exe to make a connection, do some work, and then disconnect.
    I need to make this work in a scheduled task.

    The batch procedure works fine interactively.

    It works fine in a scheduled task AS LONG AS I AM LOGGED IN
    INTERACTIVELY.

    It does NOT work as a scheduled task if I am not logged in.

    It seems to me the issue is that the Scheduler process, running as
    LocalSystem, does not have access to the appropriate certificate. Even
    if I configure the Scheduled Task to RunAs my user account it doesn't
    work: it seems this impersonation gets used for (e.g.) network access
    but not for certificate store lookup.

    I've tried using the Certificate Manager MMC to install the certificate
    in different locations such as "Certificates (Local Computer)\Personal"
    to no avail.

    The client and the certificate setup were issued to me and are not
    under my control. VPNclient.exe is version 4.0.3. Using a password
    instead of a certificate is not an option.

    Is there a way to make this work through configuration?

    If not, is there a way to make this work programatically? I can resort
    to using C++, C#, or VB(.NET) to program this, if someone can give me
    some pointers as to what needs to be done.

    Cheers,
    Richard

    -- Richard A. Wells,
    -- Reality And Wonder, http://www.raw.com/