    couldn't finish "installation" because there was a problem and it
    might not work properly. What am I doing wrong?

    , Apr 5, 2007

  2. Alan Wheeler Guest

    said in news:1175748535.978786.309830
    @b75g2000hsg.googlegroups.com:

    > First off I am horrible with computers. I just bought and Morning Star
    > external harddrive for my laptop but I can't install it. I read the
    > directions and it said that no installation is needed for windows Me/
    > 2000/XP, I have XP and a warning to NEVER install WIN98 driver into
    > windows 2000/XP/2003 systems. It detected the USB hardware but
    > couldn't finish "installation" because there was a problem and it
    > might not work properly. What am I doing wrong?

    Probably nothing. You should open up the docs to the part that says "tech
    support" and call the manufacturer. Even if you get some diaper head in
    Bangalore who speaks poor English, if he at least runs you through his
    scripts. he might be able to resolve your problem.

    Jerry

    Alan Wheeler, Apr 5, 2007

  3. Flirt Guest

    <> wrote in message
    > First off I am horrible with computers. I just bought and Morning Star
    > external harddrive for my laptop but I can't install it. I read the
    > directions and it said that no installation is needed for windows Me/
    > 2000/XP, I have XP and a warning to NEVER install WIN98 driver into
    > windows 2000/XP/2003 systems. It detected the USB hardware but
    > couldn't finish "installation" because there was a problem and it
    > might not work properly. What am I doing wrong?

    Yet again.....
    The error message would have been specific and is all important.
    This link is to the Microsoft support Knowledge base:
    http://support.microsoft.com/search/
    Type exactly, word-for-word, the error message and it will tell
    you what it means and possible solutions.

    Meanwhile, is your laptop fully updated with all patches/SP2?
    You are connecting via USB (It is also a firewire device) -
    are the USB connections correct?
    Is the USB port functioning?
    With laptops usually the connection is a four pin USB, which means
    the external device must have it's own connected power supply.
    (As It can only draw power supply from a six pin connection).
    If you are connecting 4pin-to-6pin, then you have to purchase
    the optional power supply:
    http://external-enclosure.tradenet.com.tw/hard-drive/2-5.htm
    This is a USB troubleshooting guide:
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/310575/en-us

    Flirt, Apr 5, 2007
  4. Kelvin Guest

    <> wrote in message
    > First off I am horrible with computers. I just bought and Morning Star
    > external harddrive for my laptop but I can't install it. I read the
    > directions and it said that no installation is needed for windows Me/
    > 2000/XP, I have XP and a warning to NEVER install WIN98 driver into
    > windows 2000/XP/2003 systems. It detected the USB hardware but
    > couldn't finish "installation" because there was a problem and it
    > might not work properly. What am I doing wrong?

    Could it be something to do with USB2 ?

    Kel.

    Kelvin, Apr 5, 2007
  5. Kicking Bird Guest

    <> wrote in message
    > First off I am horrible with computers. I just bought and Morning Star
    > external harddrive for my laptop but I can't install it. I read the
    > directions and it said that no installation is needed for windows Me/
    > 2000/XP, I have XP and a warning to NEVER install WIN98 driver into
    > windows 2000/XP/2003 systems. It detected the USB hardware but
    > couldn't finish "installation" because there was a problem and it
    > might not work properly. What am I doing wrong?

    Those Morning Star drives need to be soaked in warm water for about a half
    hour to loosen them up and dissolve the chemical residues from the
    manufacturing process prior to being hooked up to a computer. Use a bucket-
    or stopper the sink. Adding about a tablespoon salt to the water first is
    even more effective.

    Kicking Bird, Apr 5, 2007
  6. Izzie Guest

    Thanx for all the help. I found out that my usb cord on my laptop is
    too small so I bought an adapter and now it registers my external
    harddrive. But now I have another question, how do I use it? lol I
    told you I am horrible with computers. How do I send files and stuff
    to the external harddrive?

    Izzie, Apr 8, 2007