    not sure which newsgroup to use, any suggestions? it is a very simple
    problem to do with selecting a proper data structure for a task

    tia

    newsoid, Oct 2, 2003

  2. newsoid

    °Mike° Guest

    You could try asking your question here. If you don't get any
    joy here, you could try one of the many microsoft.public.vb.*
    groups.

    On Thu, 02 Oct 2003 15:59:02 -0500, in
    <Jj0fb.1578$>
    newsoid scrawled:

    --
    Basic computer maintenance

    °Mike°, Oct 2, 2003

  3. newsoid

    Richard Guest

    Richard, Oct 2, 2003
  4. newsoid

    newsoid Guest

    °Mike° wrote:
    > You could try asking your question here.

    okay, all I need to do is pass a list of arrays of card (user-defined)
    objects as a return value from a function.

    the problem is, i dont know how to access the member variables of the
    objects from the list itself...

    in pseudocode I think I would have something like this to access the
    value I want:

    tempArray = CardArrayList.getCurrent()
    c1 = tempArray(1).card1

    but it the compiler has no way of knowing what is in tempArray, so it
    won't recognize that card1 is a member variable of the object at
    tempArray(1), nor will it know whether tempArray(1).card1 is of
    compatible type with c1.

    It just seems like I am forgetting something about proper ways of
    storing and passing data..

    Please advise if you can
    thank you

    newsoid, Oct 3, 2003
  5. newsoid

    °Mike° Guest

    LOL! I didn't mean ask me. I have no clue about VB.
    I was merely suggesting options. :)

    On Thu, 02 Oct 2003 19:47:59 -0500, in
    <mG3fb.1580$>
    newsoid scrawled:

    --
    Basic computer maintenance

    °Mike°, Oct 3, 2003
  6. newsoid

    John Heath Guest

    "newsoid" <> wrote in message
    > °Mike° wrote:
    > > You could try asking your question here.

    > okay, all I need to do is pass a list of arrays of card (user-defined)
    > objects as a return value from a function.
    >
    > the problem is, i dont know how to access the member variables of the
    > objects from the list itself...
    >
    > in pseudocode I think I would have something like this to access the
    > value I want:
    >
    > tempArray = CardArrayList.getCurrent()
    > c1 = tempArray(1).card1
    >
    > but it the compiler has no way of knowing what is in tempArray, so it
    > won't recognize that card1 is a member variable of the object at
    > tempArray(1), nor will it know whether tempArray(1).card1 is of
    > compatible type with c1.
    >

    > It just seems like I am forgetting something about proper ways of
    > storing and passing data..
    >
    > Please advise if you can
    > thank you

    in C you could return the value as a void pointer, then cast the void
    pointer to a particular type. Can you do that in VB?

    John Heath, Oct 3, 2003