    to update the BIOs.
    Can anyone please help me?
    Thanks.

    Representative Trantis, Jan 31, 2004

  2. Representative Trantis

    colin Guest

    Representative Trantis <> wrote in message
    > I have an American Megatrends motherboard, model K7S5A, and the BIOS is

    the
    > 4/29/2001 version.
    >
    > I have never updated a BIOS before, however, I am now trying to upgrade to
    > Windows XP and am having no luck, so am seeing about updating the BIOS.
    >
    > How do I go about this, I can only seem to find .rom files, I don't know

    how
    > to update the BIOS.
    > Can anyone please help me?
    > Thanks.

    Don`t do it, unless it`s absolutely neccessary.

    An incorrect bios upgrade can render your motherboard useless.

    Don`t even rely on the following download.

    Do your homework, and make absolutely sure that you`ve got the right bios
    update, and then make a clean boot-disk that would include the flash utility
    & update file on it.

    Set your bios boot order to a: c: cdrom

    http://www.amptron.com/html/lbca.k7s5a.html
    RELEASE DATE FILE SIZE
    04/26/2002 483KB
    http://www.amptron.com/bios/K7VMA/k7vma-010626.exe

    colin, Jan 31, 2004

  3. OK, well let me put it this way, I have a AMI K7S5A, and I don't seem to be
    able to install XP with it.
    I am using the stand alone version, not the upgrade.
    Can you suggest anything?

    Thanks.

    Representative Trantis, Jan 31, 2004
  4. Representative Trantis

    > OK, well let me put it this way, I have a AMI K7S5A, and I don't seem to

    be
    > able to install XP with it.
    > I am using the stand alone version, not the upgrade.
    > Can you suggest anything?
    >
    > Thanks.

    You`ll need to supply a few more details.

    ie:-Are you setting your boot order to cdrom, for the xp install cd?

    http://www.ecs.com.tw/download/k7s5a.htm (probably wrong too)

    colin, Jan 31, 2004
  5. Representative Trantis

    JT Guest

    You can try it but if something goes wrong theres this site that could help
    you -> http://www.wimsbios.com/

    JT, Jan 31, 2004
  6. Yes, I am booting the stand alone version of XP from the CD ROM, and
    installing it to a newly partitiioned hard drive. The files copy, but then
    when it comes to running the copied files from the hard drive for the first
    time it gets a boot error.

    Representative Trantis, Feb 1, 2004
  7. I've just updated the BIOS to a version that's only a few months old, and
    am stilll gettkng the unmountable boot volume error....

    can anyone please suggest anything.
    Thanks.

    Representative Trantis, Feb 1, 2004
  8. Representative Trantis

    Alex Devlin Guest

    On 01 Feb 2004, Representative Trantis wrote:

    > I've just updated the BIOS to a version that's only a few months old,
    > and
    > am stilll gettkng the unmountable boot volume error....
    >
    > can anyone please suggest anything.
    > Thanks.

    Did this drive boot with any other OS or is it a new drive?

    --
    Alex Devlin

    Good friends will bail you out of jail...
    ... True friends will be sitting there with you saying "Damn. That was
    fun!"

    Alex Devlin, Feb 1, 2004