Need help getting rid of Keylogger

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by Carol A, Dec 21, 2005.

  1. Carol A

    Carol A Guest

    sbcglobal.help.tech.yahoo, in all their wisdom, when I went to them with a
    complaint, got snarky with me and told me, "Maybe you should get rid of the
    keylogger on _your_ system first!" and gave me the link to the definition of
    keylogger in Wikipedia, but I have no idea which one it is or how to get rid
    of it.

    I *do* know that I noticed a bit ago that my AVG e-mail scanner started
    running on its own when I wasn't sending e-mails--even when my e-mail
    programs weren't open, and that worried me, but I ran a thorough virus scan,
    AdAware, and SpyBot. The virus scan found nothing, and I got rid of all the
    stuff that AdAware and SpyBot found. The e-mail scanner is still running on
    its own, though. I imagine that is due to this "keylogger."

    Apparently, this guy saw this through my post to the newsgroup, unless he
    could see it through my SBC Global connection.

    Can anyone *here* help me? I can only afford freeware, unfortunately. We are
    completely desolate this Christmas; in fact, my psychiatrist has recommended
    I apply for Social Security Disability. How embarrassing and humiliating.

    Thanks for any and all assistance. My dear friend Mike built this computer
    for me for free less than a year ago. I'd hate like hell for it to die this
    soon and waste all his efforts. I've been using Mozilla, too!

    Carol
    Carol A, Dec 21, 2005

  2. Carol A

    Mara Guest

    On Wed, 21 Dec 2005 00:47:17 GMT, "Carol A" <> wrote:

    <snip>
    >Can anyone *here* help me? I can only afford freeware, unfortunately. We are
    >completely desolate this Christmas; in fact, my psychiatrist has recommended
    >I apply for Social Security Disability. How embarrassing and humiliating.
    >
    >Thanks for any and all assistance. My dear friend Mike built this computer
    >for me for free less than a year ago. I'd hate like hell for it to die this
    >soon and waste all his efforts. I've been using Mozilla, too!
    >
    >Carol

    http://www.download.com/3000-2144-10045910.html

    Online spyware scan:
    http://www.webroot.com/land/freescan.php?rc=266&ac=800&wt.srch=1&wt.mc_id=800

    Trial version:
    http://www.webroot.com/consumer/products/spysweeper/index.html?acode=af1&rc=1861

    Online virus scanners:
    http://virusall.com/downscan.shtml

    AND I WANT TO KNOW WHY NOT!"
    --glmar04 at twirl.mcc.ac.uk in a.s.r
    Mara, Dec 21, 2005

  3. Carol A

    Rich Wilson Guest

    "Carol A" <> wrote in message
    > Can anyone *here* help me? I can only afford freeware, unfortunately. We
    > are
    > completely desolate this Christmas; in fact, my psychiatrist has
    > recommended
    > I apply for Social Security Disability. How embarrassing and humiliating.

    No it isn't. Is there really a stigma attached to claiming benefits where
    you are?
    Rich Wilson, Dec 21, 2005