Need Help Fuji S7000 vs Nikon CP8700

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by Tee, May 18, 2005.

  1. Tee

    Tee Guest

    I've been reading the Google archives for this group as well as reading cnet
    reviews and am still unsure of which camera to go with.

    I intend its primary use for vacation pics, family pics, ebay pics at first.
    I absolutely want to learn more, experiment with features and use the camera
    more for hobby photography than basic stuff.

    These two cameras seem to have many similar features, plenty for someone
    like me to start with and enough additional features to get my feet wet with
    more serious stuff later. There are two main things that I want and that's
    the specific physical style of these two with a nice right-hand grip and the
    pop-up flash.

    $750 is my ceiling right now and I can get either of these cameras for that
    price. It seems that the 6mp FinePix gets slightly better ratings, and I've
    seen some gorgeous pics taken with them online, but the add-ons or
    accessories seem harder to locate (at least on ebay). The CoolPix 8700 has
    a huge number of available accessories on ebay and it has 8mp although I'm
    reading that's not necessarily something the average user will note a big
    difference about.

    I have Photoshop CS and a photographer friend (she doesn't do digital so is
    of no help to me with this) will help me with that and RAW images so the
    software that comes with the camera, unless its *needed* to get the images
    from the card, probably won't be used much by me.

    Are there any hardcore differences between these cameras, differences that
    would make my life harder or easier as I move up to a nicer feature set from
    my current Olympus D-370? Is the ease of finding accessories as important
    as I'm making it out to be with leaning towards the CP8700?

    I know these "which to buy" questions primarily boil down to individual
    taste but I could really use some opinions/pointers here. I hope to keep &
    utilize (heavily after I've learned more) this camera for 2-3 years before
    considering the purchase of another, possibly more powerful or feature-heavy
    one. TIA

    --
    Tara
    Tee, May 18, 2005

  2. Tee

    Roddytoo Guest

    Have you tried
    www.dpreview.com
    for reviews? You are on the right track, nobody can make the decision for
    you!

    Roddytoo, May 18, 2005

  3. Tee wrote:
    > I've been reading the Google archives for this group as well as reading cnet
    > reviews and am still unsure of which camera to go with.
    >
    > I intend its primary use for vacation pics, family pics, ebay pics at first.
    > I absolutely want to learn more, experiment with features and use the camera
    > more for hobby photography than basic stuff.

    You sure want the tele version of the coolpix?
    If you take more photos indoors, I'd go for the wide angle version, i.e
    the 8400. Not sure what the 24-85mm equivalent from fuji is.
    One other thing I like in the coolpixes is the best shot selector. Basically
    you leave the finger on the trigger for a few seconds, the camera shoots 10
    pictures, keeps the sharpest one and throws the rest away.
    Don't know anything about fuji, so this is not unbiased. :)

    Lots of Greetings!
    Volker
    Volker Hetzer, May 18, 2005
  4. Tee

    John DH Guest

    Hello Tara,

    The S7000 is quite a good camera. Fuji make much of their chip and the pixel
    shape. When you shoot in RAW the resultant image file is interpolated within
    the camera to 12 mega pix. It does a good job and knocks spots off its jpeg
    options (which are still good).

    The downside:

    White balance can be a pain but any corrections are done in CS.
    The RAW converter from fuji is basic and limited. I do all RAW conversion in
    CS.

    If I'm going to print A3, colorimetric aberrations become apparent and
    needs to be corrected. Again this is put right in the CS raw converter. Make
    sure that you have the latest version from Adobe to handle the raf files.

    If you plan to shoot in raw, budget for an extra memory card, a 2 gig card
    will hold 155 images on the fuji. The standard card that comes with the
    camera will only hold one image.

    I put the S7000 head to head with a Nikon E5700. I found the Nikon give a
    much more pleasing result in the colour department, and the optics were
    superior by far (Fuji take note). The only down side I found on the Nikon
    was the chip is just too small. That's it.

    The Fuji does not feel as solid as the Nikon, but my S7000 has been knocked
    about and dumped in sea water, it still works!

    The S7000 is good value for money, but I would still take a good look at the
    Nikon.

    I think it is very much a matter of personal choice. It would be helpful if
    a Nikon owner could chip in with their own thoughts as well, particularly in
    the optics dept.

    John D.
    John DH, May 18, 2005
  5. John DH wrote:
    []
    > I put the S7000 head to head with a Nikon E5700. I found the Nikon
    > give a much more pleasing result in the colour department, and the
    > optics were superior by far (Fuji take note). The only down side I
    > found on the Nikon was the chip is just too small. That's it.

    According to DPReview:

    Nikon chip - 8.8 x 6.6mm (2/3 inch)
    Fuji chip - 7.6 x 5.7 mm (1/1.7 inch)

    The Nikon 5700 must have one of the larger chips, if not the largest chip
    in P&S cameras. That, coupled with the 5MP rather than 8MP, should give
    it excellent picture quality. The optics are well matched to the sensor,
    and I find the net results very pleasing.

    Cheers,
    David
    David J Taylor, May 18, 2005
  6. Tee

    Tee Guest

    "Roddytoo" <> wrote in message
    > Have you tried
    > www.dpreview.com
    > for reviews? You are on the right track, nobody can make the decision for
    > you!

    Oh I found that site about a half hour after posting here yesterday. Its
    the best review site I've seen! Unfortunately it added to my list because I
    felt the need to research some of the comparisons and that led to more
    cameras and so on. I'm more educated but no closer to a decision.

    --
    Tara
    Tee, May 18, 2005
  7. Tee

    Tee Guest

    "Volker Hetzer" <> wrote in message

    > You sure want the tele version of the coolpix?
    > If you take more photos indoors, I'd go for the wide angle version, i.e
    > the 8400. Not sure what the 24-85mm equivalent from fuji is.
    > One other thing I like in the coolpixes is the best shot selector.
    > Basically
    > you leave the finger on the trigger for a few seconds, the camera shoots
    > 10
    > pictures, keeps the sharpest one and throws the rest away.
    > Don't know anything about fuji, so this is not unbiased. :)

    That's interesting. I read the cpreview on the 8400 but, and I know this is
    very artificial, I don't like the shape/look of the 8400. If I get the 8700
    (or 8800) I planned to buy a bundled kit that includes both telephoto & wide
    angle lens with adapter & 3 filters.

    --
    Tara
    Tee, May 18, 2005
  8. Tee

    Tee Guest

    "John DH" <> wrote in message
    > Hello Tara,
    >
    > The S7000 is quite a good camera. Fuji make much of their chip and the
    > pixel
    > shape. When you shoot in RAW the resultant image file is interpolated
    > within
    > the camera to 12 mega pix. It does a good job and knocks spots off its
    > jpeg
    > options (which are still good).
    >
    > The downside:
    >
    > White balance can be a pain but any corrections are done in CS.
    > The RAW converter from fuji is basic and limited. I do all RAW conversion
    > in
    > CS.
    >
    > If I'm going to print A3, colorimetric aberrations become apparent and
    > needs to be corrected. Again this is put right in the CS raw converter.
    > Make
    > sure that you have the latest version from Adobe to handle the raf files.
    >
    > If you plan to shoot in raw, budget for an extra memory card, a 2 gig card
    > will hold 155 images on the fuji. The standard card that comes with the
    > camera will only hold one image.
    >
    > I put the S7000 head to head with a Nikon E5700. I found the Nikon give a
    > much more pleasing result in the colour department, and the optics were
    > superior by far (Fuji take note). The only down side I found on the Nikon
    > was the chip is just too small. That's it.
    >
    > The Fuji does not feel as solid as the Nikon, but my S7000 has been
    > knocked
    > about and dumped in sea water, it still works!
    >
    > The S7000 is good value for money, but I would still take a good look at
    > the
    > Nikon.
    >
    > I think it is very much a matter of personal choice. It would be helpful
    > if
    > a Nikon owner could chip in with their own thoughts as well, particularly
    > in
    > the optics dept.

    Thanks John!

    --
    Tara
    Tee, May 18, 2005
  9. Tee

    Ed Ruf Guest

    On Wed, 18 May 2005 08:03:52 -0400, in rec.photo.digital "Tee"
    <> wrote:

    >That's interesting. I read the cpreview on the 8400 but, and I know this is
    >very artificial, I don't like the shape/look of the 8400. If I get the 8700
    >(or 8800) I planned to buy a bundled kit that includes both telephoto & wide
    >angle lens with adapter & 3 filters.

    Be aware the TC-15 can only be used at full zoom and the WC-80 is one
    massive piece of glass which excepts no filters and has a less the
    desirable slipon lens cover that easily falls of out in the sun.
    Ed Ruf Lifetime AMA# 344007 ()
    See images taken with my CP-990/5700 & D70 at
    http://EdwardGRuf.com
    Ed Ruf, May 18, 2005
  10. Tee

    Stewy Guest

    In article <>,
    "Tee" <> wrote:

    > I've been reading the Google archives for this group as well as reading cnet
    > reviews and am still unsure of which camera to go with.

    <snipped for brevity>

    Having had the S7000 for about a year now (and shot almost 3000
    pictures) I can say it is an excellent camera to use and the 12
    megapixel interpolation is very clever.
    The only gripes I have is the autofocus is VERY aggressive and will
    sometime knock a photo out of focus even on 'manual' focussing. Some of
    the buttons are easy to change too and the on-switch is a little too
    prominent - not using the case can be a problem and sometimes the case
    IS the problem with a insecure single retaining strap - hopefully Fuji
    will address this problem.
    For it's size and flexibility I'd recommend it - around 60% of the price
    of a true DSLR and half the price of a Prosumer DSLR it delivers great
    pictures. Having a choice between Compact Flash and xD cards is an added
    bonus. Also Fuji does make 2 add-on lenses for the 7000 - a wideangle
    and telephoto - I don't know how good or bad these are.
    The S7000 is not perfect for every situation but it is a very good
    compromise.
    Stewy, May 18, 2005
  11. Tee

    Tee Guest

    "Stewy" <> wrote in message
    > In article <>,
    > "Tee" <> wrote:
    >
    >> I've been reading the Google archives for this group as well as reading
    >> cnet
    >> reviews and am still unsure of which camera to go with.
    >>

    > <snipped for brevity>
    >
    > Having had the S7000 for about a year now (and shot almost 3000
    > pictures) I can say it is an excellent camera to use and the 12
    > megapixel interpolation is very clever.
    > The only gripes I have is the autofocus is VERY aggressive and will
    > sometime knock a photo out of focus even on 'manual' focussing. Some of
    > the buttons are easy to change too and the on-switch is a little too
    > prominent - not using the case can be a problem and sometimes the case
    > IS the problem with a insecure single retaining strap - hopefully Fuji
    > will address this problem.
    > For it's size and flexibility I'd recommend it - around 60% of the price
    > of a true DSLR and half the price of a Prosumer DSLR it delivers great
    > pictures. Having a choice between Compact Flash and xD cards is an added
    > bonus. Also Fuji does make 2 add-on lenses for the 7000 - a wideangle
    > and telephoto - I don't know how good or bad these are.
    > The S7000 is not perfect for every situation but it is a very good
    > compromise.

    Thank you!

    --
    Tara
    Tee, May 18, 2005
  12. Tee

    Tee Guest

    Thank you to everyone who took the time to give me an opinion. I went to a
    local camera shop to physically inspect & hold several models and ended up
    impulse-buying the 8700. I was leaning heavily towards that model anyway so
    now it looks like I have to get started on learning how to use my new
    camera.

    --
    Tara
    Tee, May 18, 2005
  13. Tee

    John DH Guest

    Enjoy, I'm sure you won't be disappointed

    John D

    John DH, May 18, 2005
  14. Tee

    Vic Dura Guest

    On Wed, 18 May 2005 11:42:15 -0400, in rec.photo.digital RE: Re: Need
    Help Fuji S7000 vs Nikon CP8700 "Tee" <>
    wrote:

    > I went to a
    >local camera shop to physically inspect & hold several models and ended up
    >impulse-buying the 8700

    IMPULSE-BUYING!!!

    IMPULSE-BUYING!!!

    Isn't impulse-buying fun :)

    Vic Dura, May 19, 2005
  15. Tee

    ASAAR Guest

    On Wed, 18 May 2005 18:10:12 -0500, Vic Dura wrote:

    > IMPULSE-BUYING!!!
    >
    > IMPULSE-BUYING!!!
    >
    > Isn't impulse-buying fun :)

    Sure is. Nearly as much fun as impulse replying! :)
    ASAAR, May 19, 2005
  16. Tee

    Tee Guest

    "Vic Dura" <> wrote in message
    > On Wed, 18 May 2005 11:42:15 -0400, in rec.photo.digital RE: Re: Need
    > Help Fuji S7000 vs Nikon CP8700 "Tee" <>
    > wrote:
    >
    >> I went to a
    >>local camera shop to physically inspect & hold several models and ended up
    >>impulse-buying the 8700

    > IMPULSE-BUYING!!!
    >
    > IMPULSE-BUYING!!!
    >
    > Isn't impulse-buying fun :)

    As long as the purchase isn't a live animal I love impulse-buying. My bank
    account frowns on this habit but I generally do a good job of ignoring the
    bank account.

    --
    Tara
    Tee, May 19, 2005
  17. Tee

    Stewy Guest

    In article <>,
    "Tee" <> wrote:

    > "Vic Dura" <> wrote in message
    > > On Wed, 18 May 2005 11:42:15 -0400, in rec.photo.digital RE: Re: Need
    > > Help Fuji S7000 vs Nikon CP8700 "Tee" <>
    > > wrote:
    > >
    > >> I went to a
    > >>local camera shop to physically inspect & hold several models and ended up
    > >>impulse-buying the 8700

    > > IMPULSE-BUYING!!!
    > >
    > > IMPULSE-BUYING!!!
    > >
    > > Isn't impulse-buying fun :)

    > As long as the purchase isn't a live animal I love impulse-buying. My bank
    > account frowns on this habit but I generally do a good job of ignoring the
    > bank account.

    Impulse buyers of the world unite!

    Going broke saving money - that's what my friends accuse me of.
    Stewy, May 21, 2005