    text stuff.. If anyone has a recommendation of software that will work well
    on enhancing text on copies, prefer freeware if possible, please let me know
    where it is available? Thanks.
    Guest, Mar 16, 2008

  2. Guest

    Guest

    <> wrote:

    >I am having a problem with clearing up or making more readable, the text on
    >received scanned copies...My MS paint software doesn't seem to work on only
    >text stuff.. If anyone has a recommendation of software that will work well
    >on enhancing text on copies, prefer freeware if possible, please let me know
    >where it is available? Thanks.

    Gimp
    http://www.gimp.org/
    or Paint.net
    http://www.getpaint.net/

    --

    http://www.planetdan.net/pics/misc/midget2.gif
    , Mar 16, 2008

  3. Guest

    Guest Guest

    Hi..I checked out the given sites, however they are also photo enhancers,
    not text as far as I can see.. Windows Paint lets you do whatever you want
    also to a photo, but my need and interest is in only text enhancement from
    faded copies...Any more ideas or places to try for software that
    concentrates on text, as opposed to photo enhancement? Thanks again..
    Guest, Mar 16, 2008
  4. Guest

    G. Morgan Guest

    <> wrote:

    >Hi..I checked out the given sites, however they are also photo enhancers,
    >not text as far as I can see.. Windows Paint lets you do whatever you want
    >also to a photo, but my need and interest is in only text enhancement from
    >faded copies...Any more ideas or places to try for software that
    >concentrates on text, as opposed to photo enhancement? Thanks again..

    Why don't you use an OCR (optical character recognition) software to capture
    the text and save it as a .pdf or something?

    --

    I kill all Google Group posts, you can too.
    Take back Usenet <--> http://improve-usenet.org
    G. Morgan, Mar 16, 2008
  5. Guest

    Whiskers Guest

    On 2008-03-16, <> <> wrote:
    > Hi..I checked out the given sites, however they are also photo enhancers,
    > not text as far as I can see.. Windows Paint lets you do whatever you want
    > also to a photo, but my need and interest is in only text enhancement from
    > faded copies...Any more ideas or places to try for software that
    > concentrates on text, as opposed to photo enhancement? Thanks again..

    When you scan a document, what you get /is/ an image. Image processing
    programs have various tools for adjusting contrast and colour and even
    'sharpness', and for seperating different parts of the image into seperate
    files. If you want to adjust an image so that an Optical Character
    Recognition program can make a good stab at extracting text from it, you
    want the letters to be as clearly defined as possible from the background.
    Ideally, you start by scanning the document with the scanner set to 'OCR
    mode' or equivalent.

    --
    -- ^^^^^^^^^^
    -- Whiskers
    Whiskers, Mar 16, 2008
  6. Guest

    Evan Platt Guest

    On Sun, 16 Mar 2008 13:25:03 -0500, <> wrote:

    >Hi..I checked out the given sites, however they are also photo enhancers,
    >not text as far as I can see.. Windows Paint lets you do whatever you want
    >also to a photo, but my need and interest is in only text enhancement from
    >faded copies...Any more ideas or places to try for software that
    >concentrates on text, as opposed to photo enhancement? Thanks again..

    What you have is an image file, not a 'text' file.

    If you want to convert it to text, look for an OCR software.
    Evan Platt, Mar 16, 2008
  7. Guest

    M.L. Guest

    >> I am having a problem with clearing up or making more readable, the
    >> text on received scanned copies...My MS paint software doesn't seem
    >> to work on only text stuff.. If anyone has a recommendation of
    >> software that will work well on enhancing text on copies, prefer
    >> freeware if possible, please let me know where it is available?
    >> Thanks.

    >>> Gimp
    >>> http://www.gimp.org/
    >>> or Paint.net
    >>> http://www.getpaint.net/

    > Hi..I checked out the given sites, however they are also photo
    > enhancers,
    > not text as far as I can see.. Windows Paint lets you do whatever you
    > want
    > also to a photo, but my need and interest is in only text enhancement
    > from
    > faded copies...Any more ideas or places to try for software that
    > concentrates on text, as opposed to photo enhancement? Thanks again..

    To photo enhancement software, your scanned text files are also photos.
    You likely received them as fax, jpg, tif, bmp or png, which are all
    bitmap/photo formats. Try using the contrast and sharpen tools of your
    photo enhancement software. Increasing the contrast will whiten the
    whites and darken the blacks (assuming your text is black on a white
    background). The sharpening tool (used mildly) will give finer
    resolution to the shapes of the individual letters. It's all a lot of
    trial and error though. I don't know of any photo enhancement tool that
    specifically targets text enhancement.
    M.L., Mar 16, 2008
  8. dukej wrote:

    > I am having a problem with clearing up or making more readable, the text
    > on received scanned copies...My MS paint software doesn't seem to work on
    > only text stuff.. If anyone has a recommendation of software that will
    > work well on enhancing text on copies, prefer freeware if possible, please
    > let me know where it is available? Thanks.

    MS Paint has all the sophistication of a box of eight crayons.

    Install The GIMP.

    --
    Blinky
    Killing all posts from Google Groups
    Blinky the Shark, Mar 17, 2008
  9. Guest

    M.L. Guest

    >> I am having a problem with clearing up or making more readable, the
    >> text on received scanned copies...My MS paint software doesn't seem
    >> to work on only text stuff.. If anyone has a recommendation of
    >> software that will work well on enhancing text on copies, prefer
    >> freeware if possible, please let me know where it is available?
    >> Thanks.

    www.irfanview.com
    Convert text image to black & white (2-color depth, not grayscale), then
    sharpen or blur as needed.
    M.L., Mar 17, 2008