    message the destination drive is to small. Do I need a 180 gig hard
    drive to do a backup?
    , Nov 10, 2007

  2. Larry Guest

    Basically, what you are doing is "cloning" your drive. You can only clone to
    another drive that is the same size or larger. You can't go to a smaller
    drive.

    Larry

    <> wrote in message
    : My laptop has a 180 gig drive and I am using only 50 GB. When I try
    : to copy this drive to a 60 gb drive using Norton Ghost 12 I get the
    :

    Larry, Nov 10, 2007

  3. D@Z Guest

    how about partitioning your laptop hard drive into 2 partitions, one 60gb
    and the other 120gb, ghost the smaller one to your back up drive, partition
    magic can do this with ease, although i think windows xp can do this as
    well

    D@Z, Nov 10, 2007
  4. chuckcar Guest

    "" <> wrote in

    > My laptop has a 180 gig drive and I am using only 50 GB. When I try
    > to copy this drive to a 60 gb drive using Norton Ghost 12 I get the
    > message the destination drive is to small. Do I need a 180 gig hard
    > drive to do a backup?

    Why not just copy the files from one to the other. BTW if you are
    copying Windows, that's a bad idea unless the computers are *completely*
    identical.

    --
    (setq (chuck nil) car(chuck) )
    chuckcar, Nov 10, 2007
  5. Jerry G. Guest

    You can only clone a drive to a larger one. You cannot clone from a
    larger drive to a smaller one!

    --

    Jerry G.

    Jerry G., Nov 11, 2007
  6. Herb Stein Guest

    "D@Z" <> wrote in message
    > how about partitioning your laptop hard drive into 2 partitions, one 60gb
    > and the other 120gb, ghost the smaller one to your back up drive,
    > partition magic can do this with ease, although i think windows xp can do
    > this as well

    Try gpartd-livecd which is Linux based but works quite well and is free.

    --
    Herb
    Herb Stein, Nov 11, 2007