Need help digging my brother out of a hole regarding lsass.exe error

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by Pacific Dragon, Jun 14, 2005.

  1. My brother whilse overseas in China has some how managed to hose his XP
    Home installation on his laptop.

    The situation as my brother describes it to me.
    Everytime it boots, it loads up, but just before where it normally gets to
    the Login/Welcome screen, he incounters some error with lsass.exe
    "lsass.exe - Application Error" with the message "The application failed to
    initialize properly (0xc0000006)"

    He could attempt a repair, but The problem is, he has left the original
    Windows XP CD back here at home. He also appears to be having great
    difficulty sourcing a copy of "windows XP Home" specifically, and it seems
    many people he knows there has copies of windows XP Professional instead.

    It appears using a windows XP Pro does not suffice when attempting to
    repair the installation, as it doesn't find any existing Windows XP home
    installations to repair when he attempts to run set up from it.

    In order to get my brother up and running temporarily until he gets back
    home, is it safe to actually just run a fresh install of Windows XP Pro
    over the current windows XP home install on his C: partition? Will it
    result in all his data on his Hard drive getting wiped or will it be
    spared?

    Thanks for any help.

    Pacific Dragon, Jun 14, 2005

  2. Pacific Dragon

    Dave Taylor Guest

    Pacific Dragon <> wrote in

    > Thanks for any help.

    http://securityresponse.symantec.com/avcenter/venc/data/w32.sasser.worm.htm

    Yeah the line wrapped.

    I wonder if this is the problem? An old vulnerability that worms use.
    Safe mode, no network connections and running the full network
    administrators install of XP SP2 over top fix it?
    Windows update is there for a reason...
    There is also free Antivirus out there nowadays.
    Antivir is good:
    http://www.free-av.com/

    --
    Ciao, Dave

    Dave Taylor, Jun 14, 2005

  3. On 14 Jun 2005 21:13:50 +1200, Dave Taylor wrote:

    > Pacific Dragon <> wrote in
    >
    >> Thanks for any help.
    >>

    > http://securityresponse.symantec.com/avcenter/venc/data/w32.sasser.worm.htm
    >
    > Yeah the line wrapped.
    >
    > I wonder if this is the problem? An old vulnerability that worms use.
    > Safe mode, no network connections and running the full network
    > administrators install of XP SP2 over top fix it?
    > Windows update is there for a reason...
    > There is also free Antivirus out there nowadays.
    > Antivir is good:
    > http://www.free-av.com/

    Apparently he can't even boot into Safe Mode as it comes up with the same
    error. I remember installing AVG in his system (set to automatically
    update every 3 days), updated his system using windows update and did a
    Spyware clean out before he went on his way. Additionally he said he ran
    windows update just a week ago and did a virus scan before this happened.
    He did say he lost power while it was shutting down right before this
    started to happen which leads me on to think was cause of the lsass.exe
    being borked.

    Whats more important now is, can he save his data? Will installing windows
    XP pro on top of the borked windows XP home installation erase all his data
    on that partition? Yeah, I relise about the activation issue, but
    apparently you can use if for 28 days before it needs to be activated, but
    he will be back home before then and will fix everything fresh again then.

    Pacific Dragon, Jun 15, 2005
  4. On Tue, 14 Jun 2005 20:46:21 +1200, Pacific Dragon wrote:

    > My brother whilse overseas in China has some how managed to hose his XP
    > Home installation on his laptop.

    Nevermind now. I've got him at least up and running now, abiet
    temporarily. Will fix everything up for him when he gets back home.

    Pacific Dragon, Jun 15, 2005