Need help deciding which learning material for MCDST ?

Discussion in 'MCDST' started by Ivan Backhovens, May 29, 2004.

  1. Hi all,

    I'm interestes in getting certification for MCDST as soon
    as possible. The Microsoft Press 'self paced' books for
    exams 70-271 and 70-272 aren't available yet.

    I've read this page on amazon.com
    (http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/guides/guide-
    display/-/2CK5K5DT3255C/ref=cm_bg_dp_l_1/002-2959133-
    7854468) which says that these books would learn me all I
    need for the exams in question :

    'Microsoft Windows XP Inside Out'
    'Microsoft Windows XP Professional Resource Kit Second
    Edition'
    'Microsoft Office XP Resource Kit'
    'MCSE Windows XP Professional Exam Cram 2 (Exam Cram 70-
    270)'

    Can anybody confirm that these books would be sufficient
    for taking the exams or do you people suggest other or
    extra learning material ? I'm quite knowledgeable with
    PC's although I haven't got a degree in computer
    technology (took some classes at university though ;))

    So, to summ it up : I can't wait for the MS press books
    to arrive, and I want to pass the exams not only by
    using 'cram' books, but by making sure that I have
    mastered the required knowledge. So, any tips or pointers
    on which books to get would be much appreciated.

    Kind regards,

    Ivan Backhovens

    Ivan Backhovens, May 29, 2004

  2. I have taken the 70-271 a few days ago and I used the Sybex XP Pro book,
    Windows XP Pro Resource Kit, and test out software for Windows XP Pro to
    study. I felt very prepared for the test. You can purchase the test out
    software at www.testout.com

    As far as the 70-271 I am reading the Exam Cram2 book for the 70-272 which
    was released a few days ago ISBN 0-7897-3150-9 which I picked up at Barnes
    and Noble. So far the material has been good. I have also been studying the
    Office 2003 resource kit, and Office 2003 Inside Out. I take the test on the
    3rd of June so will let you know how well they prepared me.

    The last thing I did was to take the MOC course on both of these exams. The
    material covered in both of them was good however if I did not have a sound
    foundation in XP Pro I think I would have had problems with the test. Both
    of these MOC course provide a good foundation for what you need to know but
    it is experience that gives the ability.

    Hope this helps. I also provide you with a small piece of advice stay away
    for the testking and other material which provides questions and answers.
    They are a very poor source for study. Not to mention it discredits the
    entire certification when you use material such as these, a person needs to
    be able to perform the job not just regurgitate answers to have the cert.

    Robert Boesen, May 30, 2004

  3. Until study texts are available, I would recommend the Microsoft
    Resource kits.

    For the 70-271: Microsoft Windows XP Professional Resource Kit Second
    Edition
    For the 70-272: Microsoft Office 2003 Resource Kit

    I've used and recommend the practice tests from SelfTest. Go to
    www.selftestsoftware.com. They have the look and feel of the actual
    exams. Also, the questions are highly relevant.

    Ron Carswell A+ N+ CTT+ MCSA MCSE CCNA MCDST, May 30, 2004