Need help connecting frontside USB and audio

Discussion in 'Computer Information' started by =The Anti-n00b=, Dec 21, 2003.

  1. Hello group!

    I'm building a new system and I'm a little stumped. I have a case with
    frontside USB and audio ports, and an ASRock K7VM2 motherboard which has the
    connectors for these. Here's the problem:

    1) The case doesn't have just a single connector for USB and audio. It has
    a seperate connector for each pin on the motherboard.

    2) The case connectors are labeled different from the description of the
    pins on the motherboard.

    Here's how the motherboard pins are labled:

    USB:
    USB_PWR
    P-5
    P+5
    GND
    DUMMY
    USB_PWR
    P-4
    P+4
    GND

    Audio:
    GND
    +5VA
    BACKOUT-R
    BACKOUT-L
    MIC
    MIC-POWER
    AUD-OUT-R
    DUMMY
    AUD-OUT-L

    And here is how the the case connectors are labeled:

    USB:
    (1)+D
    (2)+D
    (1)-D
    (2)-D
    (1)+5
    (2)+5
    (1)GROUND
    (2)GROUND

    Audio:
    L-OUT
    R-OUT
    RET-L
    RET-R
    MIC-IN
    GROUND
    GROUND

    If anyone can help me figure out which case connector goes to what pin on
    the MB, I'd appreciate it. Thanks in advance =)

    =The Anti-n00b=, Dec 21, 2003

  2. =The Anti-n00b=

    Zog Weaver Guest

    Motherboard Case

    USB:
    USB_PWR (1)+5
    P-5 (1)-D
    P+5 (1)+D
    GND (1)Ground
    DUMMY
    USB_PWR (2)+5
    P-4 (2)-D
    P+4 (2)+D
    GND (2)Ground

    Audio:
    GND GROUND (either one should be fine)
    +5VA
    BACKOUT-R RET-R
    BACKOUT-L RET-L
    MIC MIC-IN
    MIC-POWER
    AUD-OUT-R R-OUT
    DUMMY
    AUD-OUT-L L-OUT

    This should work, the only item in question is the audio. The audio jacks
    on the front of the case are set up so that when nothing is plugged into
    them they pass the signal from the motherboard through the jack and on to
    whatever devices are connected to the rear connectors. I've come across
    some vague labelling of case connectors when it comes to front audio,
    although yours seems pretty straightforward. However, in the event that
    I've misinterpreted the labelling and the sound doesn't work, try this:

    Audio:
    GND GROUND (either one should be fine)
    +5VA
    BACKOUT-R R-OUT
    BACKOUT-L L-OUT
    MIC MIC-IN
    MIC-POWER
    AUD-OUT-R RET-R
    DUMMY
    AUD-OUT-L RET-L

    Good luck.

    Zog

    Zog Weaver, Dec 22, 2003

  3. Zog, that did the trick =) Thanks for your help!

    =The Anti-n00b=, Dec 22, 2003