need help configuring wireless card in Dell Laptop

Discussion in 'Wireless Networking' started by fuzzy1, Mar 20, 2008.

  1. fuzzy1

    fuzzy1 Guest

    Help! I have spent hours trying to connect my Dell 600m wireless card to my
    home network.
    The home network is a D-Link DI-624 set at WPA2-AES with a nine digit/number
    network passphrase. I know this is all set correctly as my Toshiba laptop
    with a NetGear wireless card connects no problem.
    The Dell defaults to WEP with an open system, when I change them to the
    above configuration and try to connect it doesn't and defaults back to
    WEP/open.
    I have tried to manually enter everything but with no results.
    The Dell wireless card is a Broadcom network adapter.
    I have also hardwired the laptop to the router and it connects with no
    problem.
    I can't figure this one out is it a setting or is the card messed up? I
    should mention everything was working perfectly before I set-up the security
    so I highly doubt it's the card as I can connect to any open system with the
    laptop.
    Please post messages here as my e-mail addy will not work.

    Thanks

    Terry

    fuzzy1, Mar 20, 2008

  2. fuzzy1

    John Guest

    What is your OS? For WPA2 security to work you need:

    - A WiFi card that supports it
    - Either an Operating System that supports WPA2 or WiFi card driver that
    supports WPA2

    Note:
    WinXP SP2 needs http://support.microsoft.com/kb/893357 to be able to connect
    to WPA2 protected WiFi network.

    John, Mar 20, 2008

  3. Hi
    May be this can Help.
    From the weakest to the strongest, Wireless security capacity is.
    No Security
    WEP64____(Easy, to "Brake" by knowledgeable people).
    WPA-PSK__(Very Hard to Brake ).
    WPA-AES__(Not functionally Breakable)
    WPA2____ (Not functionally Breakable).
    your Wireless hardware.
    phrase.
    of one of the Wireless devices.
    device with a better one.
    http://www.ezlan.net/wpa_wep.html
    Jack (MVP-Networking).

    Jack \(MVP-Networking\)., Mar 21, 2008
  4. fuzzy1

    Barb Bowman Guest

    XP SP2 requires an update which can be found at
    http://support.microsoft.com/Default.aspx?id=893357

    you may also need an updated driver for the Dell wireless card

    --

    Barb Bowman
    MS-MVP

    Barb Bowman, Mar 21, 2008