Need HELP booting up IBM ThinkPad Laptop !

Discussion in 'A+ Certification' started by Thomas Carson, Feb 6, 2005.

  1. Hello all. I need your expertise on getting this laptop going.

    It's a liitle earlier than the IBM ThinkPad 600 series I believe?
    (type 9547 written on the back label).

    The Win OS on the HD is corrupt (won't even boot into safe mode) and
    it has a CD-ROM, but I have no floppy for it. The BIOS has no option
    for booting to the CD! So I can't load the CD device drivers into
    memory.

    I removed the 3 GB hard drive out, hoping I could attached it to an
    ATA cable using a 40 to 44 pin adapter, but the connector on the drive
    is different than other laptop drives Ive worked with. Anyone know
    where I can get a proper adapter for an IBM drive like this?

    Does anyone have experience with this laptop. Where can I find an
    external or internal floppy that will work so i can boot it? Any other
    ideas?

    Thank you very much!

    Tom Carson
    San Diego, CA

    Thomas Carson, Feb 6, 2005

  2. Thomas Carson

    Guest

    Put yout laptop back together. Go to a pc w/internet connection. Go to
    www.bootdisk.com . There you will find a bootdisk download section.
    What Windows was on your laptop? Windows 98 bootdisk can help even
    with xp/2000 recovery. Unless the drive has a NTFS file system. You
    might search your bios manufacturers website for a flash update that
    would enable booting from a cd. You could download the update to a
    floppy and flash your bios. Worth a try anyway. However, try the
    bootdisk first.

    ..............................................Johnny

    , Feb 7, 2005

  3. Thomas Carson

    Spammy Sammy Guest

    <> wrote in message
    > snip

    IIRC IBM's of this series do not have floppy drives.

    If there is no critical data on this laptop I would boot from an XP CD (it
    should boot without needing drivers etc) and do a clean install or maybe try
    the Repair function first.

    If there is critical data then I would be interested in how you resolve this
    issue and request you post your fix. Can laptop drives be slaved into
    desktops by use of a ribbon cable adaptor or similar? Anyone know?

    Spammy Sammy, Feb 7, 2005
  4. Thomas Carson

    AG Guest

    "Thomas Carson" <> wrote in message
    > Hello all. I need your expertise on getting this laptop going.
    >
    > It's a liitle earlier than the IBM ThinkPad 600 series I believe?
    > (type 9547 written on the back label).
    >
    > The Win OS on the HD is corrupt (won't even boot into safe mode) and
    > it has a CD-ROM, but I have no floppy for it. The BIOS has no option
    > for booting to the CD! So I can't load the CD device drivers into
    > memory.
    >
    > I removed the 3 GB hard drive out, hoping I could attached it to an
    > ATA cable using a 40 to 44 pin adapter, but the connector on the drive
    > is different than other laptop drives Ive worked with. Anyone know
    > where I can get a proper adapter for an IBM drive like this?
    >
    > Does anyone have experience with this laptop. Where can I find an
    > external or internal floppy that will work so i can boot it? Any other
    > ideas?
    >
    > Thank you very much!
    >
    > Tom Carson
    > San Diego, CA

    I've got a couple of IBM 600s and I do have a floppy drive for it. They run
    about $40 to $60 on Ebay. Mine will boot to a CD and I've done it but I'm
    assuming that you have tried and it didn't work from what you are saying.
    There is a little adaptor for laptop hard drives that will let you put them
    into a regular PC and plug them into a regular IDE connection. They are not
    very expensive, usually less than $5.00. That's probably the cheapest
    thing for you to do. That way you can plug it into another computer, format
    it with the system files and then copy the Win98 cabs onto it. That way you
    can put it into the laptop and run setup and install Windows on it.

    AG

    AG, Feb 9, 2005
  5. I bought the 40 to 44 pin HD adapter from Frys but that one doesnt
    work. I need a different type of adapter for the IMB drive. Where can
    I get one? Does your IMB 600 have the option to boot from the CD ?
    Are you hitting any special keys during bootup?

    Thank you,
    Fred

    Thomas Carson, Feb 11, 2005