Need Help Booting My Computer

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by Pete Holland Jr., Jun 27, 2003.

  1. Hey, everybody!

    I just tried installing new memory in my computer, and am having big
    problems.

    My motherboard is rated for 100 Mhz memory. I originally had a 128M in
    there, three slots total. I bought a 256M, put it in Slot 0, and put
    the 128M in Slot 1. Worked fine.

    The other day, I bought two more of the 256M (the maker said they were
    designed for both 100 and 133's, and the first 256 I bought that worked
    was the same way). I loaded them in, and my computer started having
    trouble booting. I reset it, and it won't start up at all now. It will
    boot, checking the drives, and that's it. When I first start my
    machine, the keyboard has three lights (Num Lock, Caps Lock, Scroll
    Lock) that light up, then go out, then the computer resumes booting.
    Now, the lights come on and stay on, the computer doesn't do anything
    else. The monitor won't even display anything. It won't even read the
    emergency boot disk in the A drive, which is the first thing it checks.

    I have tried installing the chips in every conceivable combination,
    including removing all of them and putting in the original 128. Nothing
    is working. Can anyone give me a clue what is wrong?

    Dobre utka,
    Pete Holland J.r

    Pete Holland Jr., Jun 27, 2003

  2. Hey everybody!

    Sorry to bother everyone. My computer is working again. I started
    checking peripherals and cards to see if they were plugged in properly.
    I noticed the CPU itself seemed loose. A good push, and it snapped in
    place. I set the holders, and it works again.

    So my problem was that the CPU wasn't in all the way. Sorry for the
    bother. You've been a great help with all my other questions, I don't
    want to abuse the privelidge.

    Thank you again,
    Pete Holland Jr.

    Pete Holland Jr., Jun 27, 2003

  3. Pete Holland Jr.

    Babas Guest

    Check the maximum memory specifications for your motherboard.
    Check your CMOS settings to see if the system has a saved memory
    capacity its trying to access.. (Usually F1 or DEL message on screen
    when powered on) but be careful not to change anything else unless you
    know exactly what your changing.

    Babas, Jun 27, 2003
  4. Pete Holland Jr.

    Jb Guest

    same problem here, would appreciate hearing the answer...

    Jb, Jun 29, 2003