    also be free.

    Thanks,
    Don Culp
    Don Culp, May 15, 2008

  2. Don Culp wrote:

    >I need a version of grep (or similar) that will run from a command line
    >(from a batch file) under Win x64. It should simply run and then exit
    >without opening any windows that require user input. Preferably it should
    >also be free.

    If the native "find" or "findstr" are not sufficient (they're kinda
    "mini-grep"):

    http://www.google.com/search?q=grep windows x64

    --
    Steve Foster [SBS MVP]
    ---------------------------------------
    Steve Foster [SBS MVP], May 15, 2008

  3. They're NOT grep...

    --
    Charlie.
    http://msmvps.com/xperts64

    Charlie Russel - MVP, May 15, 2008
  4. You can't run Subsystem for UNIX Applications (SUA) on XP x64, nor can you
    install Services for UNIX. This leaves a huge hole. I never found a
    reasonable solution, frankly. You can install PowerShell, which has way more
    power and flexibility, and has a select-string that almost aliases to grep.

    From Vista x64, however, the problem is solved. If you're running either the
    Enterprise version, or the Ultimate version, you have Subsystem for UNIX
    Applications (SUA), which includes a Korn shell. You can run that Korn
    shell's grep from inside either a native Korn shell, or from inside
    PowerShell.

    --
    Charlie.
    http://msmvps.com/xperts64

    Charlie Russel - MVP, May 15, 2008
  5. Don Culp

    Don Culp Guest

    "find" basically does what I need. However, it outputs the name of each file
    that it searches, regardless of whether the searched text has been found. I
    would like it to only output the file name if that file contains the
    searched text. Is this possible?

    Don Culp, May 15, 2008
  6. Don Culp

    Paul C Guest

  7. Don Culp

    Don Culp Guest

    Don Culp, May 15, 2008
  8. Don Culp wrote:

    >"find" basically does what I need. However, it outputs the name of each
    >file that it searches, regardless of whether the searched text has been
    >found. I would like it to only output the file name if that file contains
    >the searched text. Is this possible?

    I don't think so with find, but findstr definitely can.

    --
    Steve Foster [SBS MVP]
    ---------------------------------------
    Steve Foster [SBS MVP], May 15, 2008
  9. Don Culp

    Allan Guest

    "Don Culp" <> wrote in message
    >I need a version of grep (or similar) that will run from a command line
    >(from a batch file) under Win x64. It should simply run and then exit
    >without opening any windows that require user input. Preferably it should
    >also be free.

    It is easy if you already have DJGPP 2.04 beta installed (32-bit) as I do.
    ftp://ftp.delorie.com/pub/djgpp/beta/v2gnu/grep253b.zip
    I have the binaries for "gzip" and "bzip2" installed but not this one. You
    have to install it as a directory without excessively long naming, so
    "c:\djgpp204" is fine but "c:\program files\djgpp204" won't work.

    --
    Allan
    Allan, May 16, 2008