    appreciate your help.
    --
    Thanks in advance.
    Mark T., Nov 23, 2003

  2. Mark T.

    philo Guest

    "Mark T." <> wrote in message
    news:Htawb.10433$...
    > I use windows 98 and I plan to format my hard drive and I know there are
    > codes like \c for check for bad sectors and \u for unconditional format

    but
    > I do remember that there's a menu that shows all the formatting options

    and
    > I think that I'm supposed to access one of the programs within the startup
    > disk to view it. Does anyone know how I can access the menu? If so, I

    would
    > appreciate your help.
    > --
    > Thanks in advance.

    format /?
    philo, Nov 23, 2003

  3. Mark T.

    V W Wall Guest

    "Mark T." wrote:

    > I use windows 98 and I plan to format my hard drive and I know there are
    > codes like \c for check for bad sectors and \u for unconditional format but
    > I do remember that there's a menu that shows all the formatting options and
    > I think that I'm supposed to access one of the programs within the startup
    > disk to view it. Does anyone know how I can access the menu? If so, I would
    > appreciate your help.
    > --
    > Thanks in advance.

    This is Microsoft's article: It's worth printing out all 14 pages.

    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;[LN];255867

    There are a few "undocummented" switches, but before you try them you
    should know all the above.

    Virg Wall
    --
    A foolish consistency is the
    hobgoblin of little minds,........
    V W Wall, Nov 23, 2003
  4. Mark T.

    Dan Boyd Guest

    In news:,
    V W Wall <> ventured forth to say:
    > "Mark T." wrote:
    >>
    >> I use windows 98 and I plan to format my hard drive and I know there
    >> are codes like \c for check for bad sectors and \u for unconditional
    >> format but I do remember that there's a menu that shows all the
    >> formatting options and I think that I'm supposed to access one of
    >> the programs within the startup disk to view it. Does anyone know
    >> how I can access the menu? If so, I would appreciate your help.
    >> --
    >> Thanks in advance.

    > This is Microsoft's article: It's worth printing out all 14 pages.
    >
    > http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;[LN];255867
    >
    > There are a few "undocummented" switches, but before you try them you
    > should know all the above.
    >
    > Virg Wall

    Copied this from a DOS Prompt window. HTH

    C:\WINDOWS>format /?
    Formats a disk for use with MS-DOS.

    FORMAT drive: [/V[:label]] [/Q] [/F:size] [/B | /S] [/C]
    FORMAT drive: [/V[:label]] [/Q] [/T:tracks /N:sectors] [/B | /S] [/C]
    FORMAT drive: [/V[:label]] [/Q] [/1] [/4] [/B | /S] [/C]
    FORMAT drive: [/Q] [/1] [/4] [/8] [/B | /S] [/C]

    /V[:label] Specifies the volume label.
    /Q Performs a quick format.
    /F:size Specifies the size of the floppy disk to format (such
    as 160, 180, 320, 360, 720, 1.2, 1.44, 2.88).
    /B Allocates space on the formatted disk for system files.
    /S Copies system files to the formatted disk.
    /T:tracks Specifies the number of tracks per disk side.
    /N:sectors Specifies the number of sectors per track.
    /1 Formats a single side of a floppy disk.
    /4 Formats a 5.25-inch 360K floppy disk in a high-density drive.
    /8 Formats eight sectors per track.
    /C Tests clusters that are currently marked "bad."

    --

    Dan Boyd
    Dan Boyd, Nov 24, 2003