    necessary for some reason that no longer applies?

    It takes so much longer & is more cumbersome to say in advertising/promotion
    & general conversation, it would be nice if none required it.
    Karl Engel, Jul 24, 2006

  2. Karl Engel

    Evan Platt Guest

    On Mon, 24 Jul 2006 12:24:35 +1000, "Karl Engel"
    <> wrote:

    >Many websites work without "www" before the domain, some require it. If
    >websites can be designed to work fine without it, why do we have it in the
    >first place? Is it a legacy from the early days of the web when it was
    >necessary for some reason that no longer applies?
    >
    >It takes so much longer & is more cumbersome to say in advertising/promotion
    >& general conversation, it would be nice if none required it.

    www.example.com is different from example.com which is different from
    something.example.com which is different than
    somethingelse.example.com and so on. This is all done via DNS. Whoever
    hosts the DNS for example.com just needs to make a @ entry, and then
    you don't need the www.
    Evan Platt, Jul 24, 2006

  3. Karl Engel

    Dan Evans Guest

    "Karl Engel" <> wrote in message
    > Many websites work without "www" before the domain, some require it. If
    > websites can be designed to work fine without it, why do we have it in the
    > first place?

    It identifies a host within the domain.

    Dan

    Dan Evans, Jul 24, 2006
  4. Karl Engel

    Whiskers Guest

    On 2006-07-24, Karl Engel <> wrote:
    > Many websites work without "www" before the domain, some require it. If
    > websites can be designed to work fine without it, why do we have it in the
    > first place? Is it a legacy from the early days of the web when it was
    > necessary for some reason that no longer applies?
    >
    > It takes so much longer & is more cumbersome to say in advertising/promotion
    > & general conversation, it would be nice if none required it.

    For those firms that use the name www to identify the server that carries
    their public web site, some means of identifying their web server is
    necessary. The www. is just a well-known and recognisable name for a web
    server - it might just as well be some other string of characters, but
    using a name such as fred or wibble is not as obvious to strangers.

    Google is a handy example; <http://www.google.co.uk/> takes you to one
    'place', <http://groups.google.co.uk/> takes you to a different 'place',
    <http://news.google.co.uk/> is somewhere different again, and so on - all
    part of 'google.co.uk' but identified by the extra name in front of that
    part of the address. (The http:// part identifies the address as being a
    'web site' as distinct from eg an ftp:// file repository or an rtsp://
    'streaming media' server or any of the other 'things' that can be accessed
    over the internet which are nothing to do with the 'World Wide Web').

    Your web browser is probably happy to insert the http:// at the start of
    all addresses you type in without it, on the assumption that you are
    probably using a web browser to visit a web site. Some browsers can be
    told to insert a www. as well, if they don't manage to find anything
    web-like without it - but it's probably quicker to type it in yourself if
    you know it's needed to get to where you want to go. At least it's easier
    to type www. than to type wibble. or some other arbitrary name invented by
    a particular firm.

    Some firms have their 'DNS entries' (the 'phone book' used to find things
    on the internet) or their own systems set up so that typing for example
    <bbc.co.uk> into your web browser will automatically re-direct you to
    <http://www.bbc.co.uk/> if that's where they want you to go. If I type
    <ask.com> into my browser, I actually end up at <http://uk.ask.com/?o=0>
    (no www there!). Setting up an arrangement like that costs money, though,
    so not everyone does it even if it would be helpful.

    --
    -- ^^^^^^^^^^
    -- Whiskers
    Whiskers, Jul 24, 2006
  5. Karl Engel

    Plato Guest

    Karl Engel wrote:

    > Many websites work without "www" before the domain, some require it. If
    > websites can be designed to work fine without it, why do we have it in the
    > first place? Is it a legacy from the early days of the web when it was
    > necessary for some reason that no longer applies?
    >
    > It takes so much longer & is more cumbersome to say in advertising/promotion
    > & general conversation, it would be nice if none required it.

    NO.

    --
    http://www.bootdisk.com/
    Plato, Jul 24, 2006