    Don Phillipson
    Carlsbad Springs
    (Ottawa, Canada)

    Don Phillipson, Sep 3, 2010

  2. Don Phillipson

    Brian Cryer Guest

    "Don Phillipson" <> wrote in message
    news:i5rtfs$9j1$...
    > Using 5-year-old Wireless G hardware, I can copy 435 Mb from
    > downstairs to upstairs in 10 minutes. Would a Wireless N
    > router enable faster copying? If so, by how much?

    Wireless 'N' is rated at twice as fast as Wireless 'G', so in theory it
    should halve the time required. In practise there are other considerations
    including the quality of your hardware at both ends and anything which might
    block or interfere with the signal. But as a guide, twice as fast so half
    the time.

    With a 54mbps 'G', I'd expect you to be able to copy your 435MB file much
    faster than you seem able to. 54mbps = about 5MB/sec = less than 90 seconds.
    So what speed does your computer say its connecting at? It might be worth
    trying a different channel incase you are suffering from interference.
    --
    Brian Cryer
    http://www.cryer.co.uk/brian

    Brian Cryer, Sep 6, 2010

  3. "Brian Cryer" <> wrote in message
    > "Don Phillipson" <> wrote in message
    >> Using 5-year-old Wireless G hardware, I can copy 435 Mb from
    >> downstairs to upstairs in 10 minutes. Would a Wireless N
    >> router enable faster copying? If so, by how much?

    > Wireless 'N' is rated at twice as fast as Wireless 'G', so in theory it
    > should halve the time required. In practise there are other considerations
    > including the quality of your hardware at both ends and anything which
    > might block or interfere with the signal. But as a guide, twice as fast so
    > half the time.
    >
    > With a 54mbps 'G', I'd expect you to be able to copy your 435MB file much
    > faster than you seem able to. 54mbps = about 5MB/sec = less than 90
    > seconds. So what speed does your computer say its connecting at? It might
    > be worth trying a different channel incase you are suffering from
    > interference.

    Wireless channel is easily reset on TrendNet wireless G router connected to
    Win98 hub
    downstairs. Upstairs the WinXP terminal uses Windows to control its Belkin
    G card
    (by trial and error, since either Belkin or MS software may be used, and MS
    worked
    OK first): but I do not see how to select wireless channel in the MS
    software --
    any ideas (or is this simply unnecessary, i.e. does the Belkin card simply
    detect whatever is in the ether?)

    With thanks
    Don Phillipson
    Carlsbad Springs
    (Ottawa, Canada)

    Don Phillipson, Sep 7, 2010
  4. Don Phillipson

    > "Brian Cryer" <> wrote in message
    >> "Don Phillipson" <> wrote in message
    >>> Using 5-year-old Wireless G hardware, I can copy 435 Mb from
    >>> downstairs to upstairs in 10 minutes. Would a Wireless N
    >>> router enable faster copying? If so, by how much?

    >> Wireless 'N' is rated at twice as fast as Wireless 'G', so in theory it
    >> should halve the time required. In practise there are other
    >> considerations including the quality of your hardware at both ends and
    >> anything which might block or interfere with the signal. But as a guide,
    >> twice as fast so half the time.
    >>
    >> With a 54mbps 'G', I'd expect you to be able to copy your 435MB file much
    >> faster than you seem able to. 54mbps = about 5MB/sec = less than 90
    >> seconds. So what speed does your computer say its connecting at? It might
    >> be worth trying a different channel incase you are suffering from
    >> interference.

    > Wireless channel is easily reset on TrendNet wireless G router connected
    > to Win98 hub
    > downstairs. Upstairs the WinXP terminal uses Windows to control its
    > Belkin G card
    > (by trial and error, since either Belkin or MS software may be used, and
    > MS worked
    > OK first): but I do not see how to select wireless channel in the MS
    > software --
    > any ideas (or is this simply unnecessary, i.e. does the Belkin card simply
    > detect whatever is in the ether?)

    The card will detect it. The only place to change it is at the router.
    Most routers will try to work out which channel is best to use, but the ones
    I've used don't do a good job and invariably tend to end up using the same
    channel as my neighbours.

    If you want an idea of what channels might be in use then try "network
    stumbler" from http://www.netstumbler.com/downloads/ - its free, old but
    does the job. Even if you aren't clashing with any of your neighbours it
    might be worth trying a different channel to see if that helps your transfer
    rates.

    Hope this helps.
    --
    Brian Cryer