    All opinions are mine and do not represent the views or
    policies of my employer.
    R Pradeep Chandran rpc AT pobox DOT com

    Pradeep Chandran, Oct 30, 2006

  2. Pradeep Chandran

    Mueen Nawaz Guest

    Pradeep Chandran wrote:
    > Hi All,
    > Earlier, I had posted a query about a RAW converter in this
    > group [1]. I found a review of a tool called Bibble at a web site [2].
    > I have tried the tool and found it to be quite useful. I am planning
    > to buy it and would really like to know what the participants in this
    > group think. I couldn't find any other tools comparable to Bibble in
    > terms of price and features. Are there any?

    I use Linux, and Bibble and Ufraw are the only options for RAW there.
    Ufraw cannot compete with Bibble in terms of features. There are other
    options in Windows, but I don't know about those.

    Before plunging into it, check out their support forums, and go to the
    one for your camera, whatever it is. If there are any issues with Bibble
    and your camera (bad white balance, colors, etc), it'll come out there.

    Bibble has a number of nice features. However, I try to use it just for
    the basic levels and curves adjustments, and anything else that matters
    for 12 bit processing. Then I save it as JPEG and do the rest in Gimp,
    as I like their interface. However, it is nice seeing simple Noise Ninja
    and Lens Correction features in Bibble. But do check the subforums for
    your camera. I have an Olympus E-500, and there are a few color issues,
    which I hope they are working on.

    (And when comparing RAW converters, keep in mind that probably no two
    will give identical results, and none will look like the one your camera
    software produces).

    --
    As a child my family's menu consisted of two choices: "Take it, or leave
    it."

    /\ /\ /\ /
    / \/ \ u e e n / \/ a w a z

    anl

    Mueen Nawaz, Oct 30, 2006

  3. Pradeep Chandran

    NoSpam Guest

    I use the lite version with Sony RAW files and Jpegs and really like it.
    It has an excellent no-brainer option for people like me.
    One of the developers hangs out on the dpreview forums and is very helpful.
    Try the trial version.

    NoSpam, Oct 30, 2006
  4. Pradeep Chandran

    bmoag Guest

    Bibble is ok. The lite version has all the important tools for amateur use.
    Bibble has a "vibrancy" slider that is lacking in Photoshop but the effect
    is otherwise reproducible in PS.
    Whether or not you find the noise reduction and the lens distortion plug-in
    useful is your call.
    The different raw converters follow different work-flows and one may appeal
    more to some people than others.
    I am not convinced that there are significant technical advantages of one
    over another or technical advantages of performing operations in a raw
    converter or in Photoshop. The latter has many more tools, more flexibility
    and in particular allows work in lossless layers.

    bmoag, Oct 30, 2006
  5. Pradeep Chandran

    Jim Townsend Guest

    bmoag wrote:

    > Whether or not you find the noise reduction and the lens distortion plug-in
    > useful is your call.

    I really like the noise reduction in Bibble. They've recently incorporated
    Noise Ninja (under license). It really does a good job.

    Jim Townsend, Oct 31, 2006
  6. On Mon, 30 Oct 2006 16:38:35 GMT, "bmoag" <> wrote:
    >Bibble is ok. The lite version has all the important tools for amateur use.
    >Bibble has a "vibrancy" slider that is lacking in Photoshop but the effect
    >is otherwise reproducible in PS.
    >Whether or not you find the noise reduction and the lens distortion plug-in
    >useful is your call.

    I found both to be useful.

    >The different raw converters follow different work-flows and one may appeal
    >more to some people than others.
    >I am not convinced that there are significant technical advantages of one
    >over another or technical advantages of performing operations in a raw
    >converter or in Photoshop. The latter has many more tools, more flexibility
    >and in particular allows work in lossless layers.

    Very true. For me, an important consideration was price. So, Photoshop
    was pretty much out. Also, I prefer to do much of the work in Linux. I
    don't do much editing (just started photography seriously) and for
    what little I do, I use GIMP. Maybe someday I will need the features
    of Photoshop. Until that day comes, I think I will stick to Bibble.

    Have a nice day,
    Pradeep

    Pradeep Chandran, Oct 31, 2006
  7. Pradeep Chandran

    embee Guest

    "Pradeep Chandran" <> wrote in message
    > Hi All,
    > Earlier, I had posted a query about a RAW converter in this
    > group [1]. I found a review of a tool called Bibble at a web site [2].
    > I have tried the tool and found it to be quite useful. I am planning
    > to buy it and would really like to know what the participants in this
    > group think. I couldn't find any other tools comparable to Bibble in
    > terms of price and features. Are there any?
    > Have a nice day,
    > Pradeep
    > [1] Message-ID: <>
    > [2]
    > http://www.outbackphoto.com/reviews/tools/20010304NikonCapture.html
    > --

    When I first started using Bibble a few months back, after years if using
    Capture One, Rawshooter and ACR, I was initially very impressed (especially
    with it's highlight recovery feature, fill and it's vibrancy. However, now
    that I've got over my initial enthusiasm I have some serious issues with it
    and have reverted to using Capture One.

    My main complaint is Bibble's interface, which I find quite frustrating.
    This is probably more down to me, than any inherent problem with the
    software (as I say, I was used to working with other converters and I
    probably just found Bibble a little too unorthodox).

    I now also question the value of using highlight recovery - often it looks
    weird in the final image so I now aim to use Bibble's feature only when
    absolutely necessary.

    Finally, you have to be very careful with Bibble's vibrancy and saturation
    settings - they are nice when used sparingly, completely unbelievable when
    pushed too far.

    Overall, I prefer Capture One. It needs more learning and doesn't do
    anything spectacular with offensive highlights - but the end result is, in
    my opinion, more satisfactory.

    As for noise reduction - I use Noise Ninja in Photoshop anyway, so I have
    little to gain by having it in Bibble.

    Cheers

    embee, Oct 31, 2006