    Can we feed the signal into a wireless router at my house so that I will not
    have to run cables? If so, where can I find out how to do this?

    Thanks.

    mlsteen1, Feb 18, 2006

  2. mlsteen1

    Malke Guest

    mlsteen1 wrote:

    > My neighbor at our lake house has a satellite internet setup. I told
    > him that I would share the monthly cost if I was able to get an
    > acceptable signal.
    >
    > Using an Orinoco card, Buffalo Air Station antenna, and Network
    > Stumbler we were able to get a signal that varied from "excellent" to
    > "no signal". He is currently using WEP for security. If we switch to
    > WPA, would it have any effect on signal strength?
    >
    > We are going to install two "dish" antennas that have a stronger db
    > gain to see if the signal can be improved to an acceptable level.
    >
    > Can we feed the signal into a wireless router at my house so that I
    > will not have to run cables? If so, where can I find out how to do
    > this?
    >
    > Thanks.

    MVP Jack (don't know his last name, sorry) has information on extending
    wireless connectivity here:
    http://www.ezlan.net/Distance.html

    I'm sure you'll get some more answers, but I should tell you that
    satellite Internet access is generally pretty slow. I have a few
    clients who have it because they live in areas that are too far out
    into the country to get DSL or cable. In this part of California (USA),
    satellite Internet access for home users is provided by DirecWay. The
    speed is somewhat better than dialup, but not anywhere near the speed
    of DSL.

    Here's DirecWay's homepage (TinyURL'd):
    http://tinyurl.com/amgxf

    Naturally, the speed and signal strength depends on how your neighbor is
    getting his satellite access.

    Malke
    --
    Elephant Boy Computers
    www.elephantboycomputers.com

    Malke, Feb 18, 2006

  3. mlsteen1

    mlsteen1 Guest

    Thanks Malke.

    mlsteen1, Feb 18, 2006
  4. I'm in northern CA, and have WildBlue satellite internet, and it's great.
    WAY faster than dialup, very close to DSL speeds, although latency slows
    things down sometimes.

    www.dslreports.com has some good discussions on the various satellite
    options, with very frank reviews. Direcway does not come off too good, a lot
    of unhappy customers. WildBlue, so far, is getting generally positive
    reviews. It's relatively new, though.

    Satellite is still not marketed as an alternative to DSL or cable, and based
    on the reviews and my own experience, it shouldn't be. It's really just for
    those of us who have no other broadband options.

    =?Utf-8?B?QWxiaW9ud29vZHM=?=, Mar 28, 2006