Need examples of GOOD Anime

Discussion in 'DVD Video' started by Geo H, Jun 27, 2003.

  1. Geo H

    Geo H Guest

    I was flipping channels this morning and came across the Anime version
    of Metropolis and caught the last 15 minutes or so. I was impressed by
    animation portrayed and was wondering if any other Anime fans out
    there can suggest some real good Anime titles...

    ....and what I mean by good, I mean high attention to details and
    physics, and MOST importantly, where the people look NORMAL and close
    to life - not the stupid idiotic windswept angular hair or the
    ridiculously large and enormous eyes or mouths

    Preferably stuff dealing with Space or Sci-Fi - Absolutely NO Karate,
    Kung-Fu or martial arts bullshit (unless its ninjas or Samurais and
    very well done and real looking) - I'm just interested in High-Tech,
    futuristic, Space Sci-Fi stuff (or possibly even medieval) where the
    animation is smooth, clean, realistic and not repeitive or choppy
    looking - I really hate that - along with the frame-by-frame, slo-mo,
    "Kwa-wa-wa-wa" sound-effect trademark evident in all bad Anime in my
    opinion.

    Space Battles, Giant Robots, Actual good story just as long as it
    looks right as well - Perfect example of what Im NOT looking
    for....anything looking like or even remotely resembling that stupid
    and repulsive DragonballZ crap or Voltron (while Voltron was pretty
    cool, its not the level of Anime sophistication Im looking for) or any
    real cartoony kind of thing. While Star-Blazers actually kind of
    worked for me, story-wise, it had too many of the Anti-Anime quirks
    that I list above.

    Thanks gang.

    Geo H, Jun 27, 2003

  2. Geo H

    ThePunisher Guest

    Geo H wrote:
    > I was flipping channels this morning and came across the Anime version
    > of Metropolis and caught the last 15 minutes or so. I was impressed by
    > animation portrayed and was wondering if any other Anime fans out
    > there can suggest some real good Anime titles...
    >
    > ...and what I mean by good, I mean high attention to details and
    > physics, and MOST importantly, where the people look NORMAL and close
    > to life - not the stupid idiotic windswept angular hair or the
    > ridiculously large and enormous eyes or mouths
    >
    > Preferably stuff dealing with Space or Sci-Fi - Absolutely NO Karate,
    > Kung-Fu or martial arts bullshit (unless its ninjas or Samurais and
    > very well done and real looking) - I'm just interested in High-Tech,
    > futuristic, Space Sci-Fi stuff (or possibly even medieval) where the
    > animation is smooth, clean, realistic and not repeitive or choppy
    > looking - I really hate that - along with the frame-by-frame, slo-mo,
    > "Kwa-wa-wa-wa" sound-effect trademark evident in all bad Anime in my
    > opinion.
    >
    > Space Battles, Giant Robots, Actual good story just as long as it
    > looks right as well - Perfect example of what Im NOT looking
    > for....anything looking like or even remotely resembling that stupid
    > and repulsive DragonballZ crap or Voltron (while Voltron was pretty
    > cool, its not the level of Anime sophistication Im looking for) or any
    > real cartoony kind of thing. While Star-Blazers actually kind of
    > worked for me, story-wise, it had too many of the Anti-Anime quirks
    > that I list above.
    >
    > Thanks gang.

    Project A-KO and The Ultimate Teacher are what you're looking for.

    --
    ThePunisher
    "To me, the description of '5.1' implies discrete multi-channel

    > How many channels of sound does "5.1" suggest to you, Max?

    Whatever DTS/Dolby says it is.
    It's a standard.
    I used that standard.
    - Max Christoffersen.

    ThePunisher, Jun 27, 2003

  3. >I was flipping channels this morning and came across the Anime version
    >of Metropolis and caught the last 15 minutes or so. I was impressed by
    >animation portrayed and was wondering if any other Anime fans out
    >there can suggest some real good Anime titles...

    "Macross Plus," "Princess Mononoke," and "Akira" may be right up your alley. -
    Reinhart

    LASERandDVDfan, Jun 27, 2003
  4. Geo H wrote:

    > I was flipping channels this morning and came across the Anime version
    > of Metropolis and caught the last 15 minutes or so. I was impressed by
    > animation portrayed and was wondering if any other Anime fans out
    > there can suggest some real good Anime titles...
    >
    > ...and what I mean by good, I mean high attention to details and
    > physics, and MOST importantly, where the people look NORMAL and close
    > to life - not the stupid idiotic windswept angular hair or the
    > ridiculously large and enormous eyes or mouths
    >
    > Preferably stuff dealing with Space or Sci-Fi - Absolutely NO Karate,
    > Kung-Fu or martial arts bullshit (unless its ninjas or Samurais and
    > very well done and real looking) - I'm just interested in High-Tech,
    > futuristic, Space Sci-Fi stuff (or possibly even medieval) where the
    > animation is smooth, clean, realistic and not repeitive or choppy
    > looking - I really hate that - along with the frame-by-frame, slo-mo,
    > "Kwa-wa-wa-wa" sound-effect trademark evident in all bad Anime in my
    > opinion.

    (Oh, lordy, in ten years, we've gone from Scroll-Heads to 'Trop-Heads...)

    Derek Janssen (lateral move, possibly?)

    Derek Janssen, Jun 27, 2003
  5. Geo H

    Magpie13 Guest

    Akira
    Vampire Hunter D
    Cowboy Bebop
    Ninja Scroll
    Ghost in the Shell
    Blood: The Last Vampire
    Lain

    Some are heady. Some are weird. Some are violent. Some are all three. But
    all are gorgeous.

    Mark

    Magpie13, Jun 27, 2003
  6. Geo H

    DAM Guest

    Geo H wrote:

    > not the stupid idiotic windswept angular hair or the
    > ridiculously large and enormous eyes or mouths

    That about sums it up.
    dam

    DAM, Jun 27, 2003
  7. Geo H

    Tom Meyer Guest

    "Magpie13" <> wrote in message
    > Akira
    > Vampire Hunter D
    > Cowboy Bebop
    > Ninja Scroll
    > Ghost in the Shell
    > Blood: The Last Vampire
    > Lain
    >
    > Some are heady. Some are weird. Some are violent. Some are all three. But
    > all are gorgeous.

    I, too, am checking out anime after having seen Spirited Away and Castle in
    the Sky, which I both really liked. So far I've seen Ninja Scroll and Cowboy
    Bebop on the recommendations of others, and I thought Ninja Scroll was just
    cheesy and Cowboy Bebop was boring. I think I'll rent Akira next.

    Tom

    Tom Meyer, Jun 27, 2003
  8. Tom Meyer wrote:

    > "Magpie13" <> wrote in message
    > > Akira
    > > Vampire Hunter D
    > > Cowboy Bebop
    > > Ninja Scroll
    > > Ghost in the Shell
    > > Blood: The Last Vampire
    > > Lain
    > >
    > > Some are heady. Some are weird. Some are violent. Some are all three. But
    > > all are gorgeous.

    > I, too, am checking out anime after having seen Spirited Away and Castle in
    > the Sky, which I both really liked. So far I've seen Ninja Scroll and Cowboy
    > Bebop on the recommendations of others, and I thought Ninja Scroll was just
    > cheesy and Cowboy Bebop was boring. I think I'll rent Akira next.

    ....Ohh, crap, we have to start THIS again: >_<

    Congratulations, the above roster means you have now witnessed the now
    legendary and infamous "Artsy, baffling and depressingly experts-only
    classics that overenthusiastic core fans cruelly inflict on innocent
    first-timers in their devotion, utterly mindless of the consequences"
    List....Otherwise known as "The Ebert List", for short. Except that
    they forgot to put "Princess Mononoke" and "Grave of the Fireflies" up
    there like they usually do, it's pretty complete.
    Once you are aware of the cruel, savage dangers of The Ebert List and
    can safely avoid it, you'll have a much easier time acclimating.

    Cowboy Bebop (the series)'s the only comparative "safe" one on the list,
    but the more sane and compassionate fans tend to recommend Slayers,
    Maison Ikkoku or Tenchi Universe for good borderline-mainstream "You'll
    find *something* in there you'll like" starters, assuming you've already
    seen the non-"Mononoke" Miyazaki films.

    Derek Janssen (but remember the WARNING of the E.L.: Flee "Akira" while
    you can.)

    Derek Janssen, Jun 27, 2003
  9. Evander wrote:

    > "Tom Meyer" <> wrote in message
    > > > >
    > > > Akira
    > > > Vampire Hunter D
    > > > Cowboy Bebop
    > > > Ninja Scroll
    > > > Ghost in the Shell
    > > > Blood: The Last Vampire
    > > > Lain
    > > >
    > > > Some are heady. Some are weird. Some are violent. Some are all three.

    > But
    > > > all are gorgeous.

    > > I, too, am checking out anime after having seen Spirited Away and Castle

    > in
    > > the Sky, which I both really liked. So far I've seen Ninja Scroll and

    > Cowboy
    > > Bebop on the recommendations of others, and I thought Ninja Scroll was

    > just
    > > cheesy and Cowboy Bebop was boring. I think I'll rent Akira next.

    > Check out "Grave of the Fireflies." Fantastic movie.

    (...See what I mean?--Scary, huh?)

    Derek Janssen (and taking the first post into account, consider
    "Metropolis" as an E.L. given)

    Derek Janssen, Jun 27, 2003
  10. What is it with you and classic Anime? So far I've seen Akira, Ghost in
    the Shell, and various other Miyazaki films (all against your own
    recommendations), and I've loved them all. Why don't you like them?
    What Anime do you like anyway?

    --
    "It is dark, you are likely to be eaten by a grue."
    --Zork

    Grand Inquisitor

    Grand Inquisitor, Jun 27, 2003
  11. Geo H

    Tom Meyer Guest

    "Derek Janssen" <> wrote in message
    > Tom Meyer wrote:
    > >
    > > "Magpie13" <> wrote in message
    > > > Akira
    > > > Vampire Hunter D
    > > > Cowboy Bebop
    > > > Ninja Scroll
    > > > Ghost in the Shell
    > > > Blood: The Last Vampire
    > > > Lain
    > > >
    > > > Some are heady. Some are weird. Some are violent. Some are all three.

    But
    > > > all are gorgeous.

    > > I, too, am checking out anime after having seen Spirited Away and Castle

    in
    > > the Sky, which I both really liked. So far I've seen Ninja Scroll and

    Cowboy
    > > Bebop on the recommendations of others, and I thought Ninja Scroll was

    just
    > > cheesy and Cowboy Bebop was boring. I think I'll rent Akira next.

    > ...Ohh, crap, we have to start THIS again: >_<
    >
    > Congratulations, the above roster means you have now witnessed the now
    > legendary and infamous "Artsy, baffling and depressingly experts-only
    > classics that overenthusiastic core fans cruelly inflict on innocent
    > first-timers in their devotion, utterly mindless of the consequences"
    > List....Otherwise known as "The Ebert List", for short. Except that
    > they forgot to put "Princess Mononoke" and "Grave of the Fireflies" up
    > there like they usually do, it's pretty complete.
    > Once you are aware of the cruel, savage dangers of The Ebert List and
    > can safely avoid it, you'll have a much easier time acclimating.
    >
    > Cowboy Bebop (the series)'s the only comparative "safe" one on the list,
    > but the more sane and compassionate fans tend to recommend Slayers,
    > Maison Ikkoku or Tenchi Universe for good borderline-mainstream "You'll
    > find *something* in there you'll like" starters, assuming you've already
    > seen the non-"Mononoke" Miyazaki films.

    I saw an episode of Slayers once by chance, that's a fun series. Should I
    just rent the DVDs in order of the year they were made?

    Tom

    Tom Meyer, Jun 27, 2003
  12. Geo H

    Will Guest

    "Geo H" <> wrote in message
    | ...and what I mean by good, I mean high attention to details and
    | physics, and MOST importantly, where the people look NORMAL and close
    | to life - not the stupid idiotic windswept angular hair or the
    | ridiculously large and enormous eyes or mouths

    Armitage III, which despite the title, is not the third in a series.

    It is Blade Runner meets Total Recall, and most everyone has regular
    eyes.

    Will, Jun 28, 2003
  13. >Armitage III, which despite the title, is not the third in a series.

    >It is Blade Runner meets Total Recall, and most everyone has regular eyes.

    Except Naiomi Armitage. I don't know why people don't like the anime eyes.
    They look kawaii.

    I've only seen the movie "Polymatrix," which is pretty good except for the fact
    that one of the androids looks too much like Roy Batty (Rutger Hauer) from
    "Blade Runner." - Reinhart

    LASERandDVDfan, Jun 28, 2003
  14. "Stephen Lee" <> wrote in message
    : Macross (not the robotech crap), macross plus
    : Gundam: I personally like 0080, 0083 and the 08th team series
    : Kiki's delivery service, Totoro, Princess Mononoke, Spirited away
    : .hack//sign
    : evagelion
    : city hunter

    I thought Mononoke was Kung Fu Martial Arts crap - if it is, not interested

    :
    : If you're into classic anime, then I recommend
    : Yamato (Star BLazer)

    I liked StarBlazers and would love to know how it all turned out especially
    with the two other series - never watched them, but I wish they had used
    better animation - too much of the style that I do NOT want is evident.

    : galaxy express 999
    : gatchaman
    : grendizer
    :
    : And when you're ready to get into Hentai, drop me an email...
    :
    Thanks, but I'll pass

    George Hernandez, Jun 28, 2003
  15. Brockhurst Pertwee wrote:
    > I guess
    > I'm one of the few who was not blown away by Ghost in the Shell.

    I wasn't blown away buy it, but I quite liked it. Although it angered
    me, as did Akira, to see the movies that all those mindless Matrix fans
    *should* be talking about. If you haven't seen Akira, it and Ghost in
    the Shell obviously heavily "influenced" the Matrix.

    Grand Inquisitor, Jun 28, 2003
  16. LASERandDVDfan wrote:
    >>Why don't you like them?
    >>What Anime do you like anyway?

    > There are people who do not like anime for whatever reason. Some may not like
    > it because they're used to Western conventions with animated entertainment.
    > Some don't like it because they don't like the art style. Some don't like it
    > because it doesn't make sense to them. Some don't like it because of
    > stereotypes (Yu-Gi-Oh!, Pokemon). Some may not like it just because it's
    > Japanese.
    >
    > Oh well, their loss. - Reinhart

    But he claims to be a big anime fan! He's always railing against the
    "art house animes." What does he like, Sailor Moon?

    Grand Inquisitor, Jun 28, 2003
  17. Geo H

    AceoHearts Guest

    Blue Submarine 6
    Cowboy Bebop
    Graveyard of Fireflies
    Please Teacher
    Full Metal Panic

    AceoHearts, Jun 28, 2003
  18. Geo H

    AceoHearts Guest

    Some don't like it because of stereotypes (Yu-Gi-Oh!, Pokemon).

    Because of Pokemon and Yu-Gi-Oh, I got my wife interested in Anime. I watch
    Yu-Gi-Oh occasionally and she got into it. Now she is watching R.O.D. ,
    Full Metal Painc, Cowboy Bebop, Pat Labor, and a slew of other titles.
    Some people need to be eased into Anime.

    AceoHearts

    AceoHearts, Jun 28, 2003
  19. So what exactly is "The Ebert List" that I should be avoiding, and why would
    Metropolis be a part of it?

    "Derek Janssen" <> wrote in message
    : Evander wrote:
    : >
    : > "Tom Meyer" <> wrote in message
    : > news:A%0La.158799$-kc.rr.com...
    : > > > Geo H wrote:
    : > > > > I was flipping channels this morning and came across the Anime
    version
    : > > > > of Metropolis
    : > > > >
    : > > > Akira
    : > > > Vampire Hunter D
    : > > > Cowboy Bebop
    : > > > Ninja Scroll
    : > > > Ghost in the Shell
    : > > > Blood: The Last Vampire
    : > > > Lain
    : > > >
    : > > > Some are heady. Some are weird. Some are violent. Some are all
    three.
    : > But
    : > > > all are gorgeous.
    : > >

    George Hernandez, Jun 28, 2003
  20. >Some people need to be eased into Anime.

    But others can and have gained the mistaken impression from contemporary
    children's anime that the overall art itself would have nothing compelling to
    offer to more mature audiences. - Reinhart

    LASERandDVDfan, Jun 28, 2003