Need digital camera rec for older person - please advise

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by Ron M., Jul 3, 2005.

  1. Ron M.

    Ron M. Guest

    I need a digital camera recommendation, for my mother, who is 80 years
    old and does her best to keep up with modern technology. She doesn't
    know or care about things like aperture/shutter priorities, megapixel
    resolution, white balance, etc. so cameras like my Finepix S5000 are
    way, WAY over her head. A camera like that is the last thing in the
    WORLD she needs.

    Can somebody please recommend a digital camera for her? The
    requirements are:

    1. Simplicity. Point and shoot. Things like priority modes are
    unnecessary fluff, not to mention unnecessary $$$, although I realize
    that she may have to accept them and just remember to set the knob on
    "Auto."

    2. Quick boot-up time and default settings. For heaven's sakes, just
    turn on the camera and take the damn picture.

    3. Macro/optical zoom range. This is really a major factor. Most
    simpler, lower-cost digital cameras also have a very limited optical
    zoom, like 2X or 3X, and no macro capability. She really, really wants
    zoom capability.

    4. Resolution is NOT that big a deal. 99.999% of her pics will be 3 X 5
    inch snapshots, and MAYBE an occasional 5 X 7.

    5. Low cost. She's an old lady, remember, living on her retirement and
    Social Social Security check. Every penny counts.

    Anybody?

    Ron M.

    Ron M., Jul 3, 2005

  2. Ron M.

    Scott W Guest

    Ron M. wrote:
    > I need a digital camera recommendation, for my mother, who is 80 years
    > old and does her best to keep up with modern technology. She doesn't
    > know or care about things like aperture/shutter priorities, megapixel
    > resolution, white balance, etc. so cameras like my Finepix S5000 are
    > way, WAY over her head. A camera like that is the last thing in the
    > WORLD she needs.
    >
    > Can somebody please recommend a digital camera for her? The
    > requirements are:
    >
    > 1. Simplicity. Point and shoot. Things like priority modes are
    > unnecessary fluff, not to mention unnecessary $$$, although I realize
    > that she may have to accept them and just remember to set the knob on
    > "Auto."
    >
    > 2. Quick boot-up time and default settings. For heaven's sakes, just
    > turn on the camera and take the damn picture.
    >
    > 3. Macro/optical zoom range. This is really a major factor. Most
    > simpler, lower-cost digital cameras also have a very limited optical
    > zoom, like 2X or 3X, and no macro capability. She really, really wants
    > zoom capability.
    >
    > 4. Resolution is NOT that big a deal. 99.999% of her pics will be 3 X 5
    > inch snapshots, and MAYBE an occasional 5 X 7.
    >
    > 5. Low cost. She's an old lady, remember, living on her retirement and
    > Social Social Security check. Every penny counts.

    I don't have a good suggestion for you but I do have a story about
    old people and cameras. My parents, 79 and 82 years of age, had been
    using a Nikon Coolpix 800 I believe it was for years. This is a 2 MP
    camera and takes really good photos, but they had one large complaint,
    it was not doing at all well at taking photos with the flash.

    So I got them to get a Sony F828, this camera is great for taking flash
    photo, the holographic focus assist works great. The camera also has a
    full auto mode, so they would not have to worry about any of the
    controls.

    Now in all the time they had there other digital camera they never once
    took it out of full automatic mode, even when I tried to get them to
    look at some of the other things they could do with it. I was sure
    they would only use the F828 in full auto mode and did not try at all
    to get them to do more. The next thing I know my mother is reading the
    manual and playing with all sorts of the manual modes, who would have
    guessed.

    The F828 is not at all what your mother would want if she is making
    small prints, my mother never prints anything smaller then 8.5 x 11 so
    a few more pixels was also a good idea.

    Scott

    Scott W, Jul 3, 2005

  3. Ron M. wrote:
    >I need a digital camera recommendation, for my mother, who is 80 years
    > old and does her best to keep up with modern technology. She doesn't
    > know or care about things like aperture/shutter priorities, megapixel
    > resolution, white balance, etc. so cameras like my Finepix S5000 are
    > way, WAY over her head. A camera like that is the last thing in the
    > WORLD she needs.
    >
    > Can somebody please recommend a digital camera for her? The
    > requirements are:
    >
    > 1. Simplicity. Point and shoot. Things like priority modes are
    > unnecessary fluff, not to mention unnecessary $$$, although I realize
    > that she may have to accept them and just remember to set the knob on
    > "Auto."
    >
    > 2. Quick boot-up time and default settings. For heaven's sakes, just
    > turn on the camera and take the damn picture.
    >
    > 3. Macro/optical zoom range. This is really a major factor. Most
    > simpler, lower-cost digital cameras also have a very limited optical
    > zoom, like 2X or 3X, and no macro capability. She really, really wants
    > zoom capability.
    >
    > 4. Resolution is NOT that big a deal. 99.999% of her pics will be 3 X
    > 5 inch snapshots, and MAYBE an occasional 5 X 7.
    >
    > 5. Low cost. She's an old lady, remember, living on her retirement and
    > Social Social Security check. Every penny counts.
    >
    > Anybody?
    >
    > Ron M.

    I don't know the current models all that well, they tend to change
    faster than I can keep up.

    I do have two thoughts that may help in your choice.

    1. Look for a camera that is a little larger than average. Older or
    very young people have less ability to handle small cameras. They will be
    more comfortable with a mid to larger size camera. They will also generally
    be able to hold it steadier. Lots of small closely spaced buttons with
    cryptic labels and multi uses are confusing.

    2. Look for a brand and model that has sold well. This generally means
    it is working well for most people and does not need a lot of special
    knowledge or skills to use. That includes not just taking the photos but
    also getting time to where the user wants, like printed or on a TV or other
    display.

    In this case Consumer Reports might be a good source of information. It
    may not be a good source for a camera for most of those who view this
    newsgroup, but for the general public CR does give a lot of good
    information.

    --
    Joseph Meehan

    Dia duit

    Joseph Meehan, Jul 3, 2005
  4. Ron M.

    Robert Barr Guest

    Kodak, like their DX7440. Big LCD, simple controls, very fast operation.

    Robert Barr, Jul 3, 2005
  5. Ron M.

    Markeau Guest

    "Ron M." <> wrote in message
    >I need a digital camera recommendation, for my mother, who is 80
    >years

    To what the others have already posted, also consider image
    stabilization which even if she has a steady hand can help in many
    instances get a better, in-focus shot. There is a good feature
    comparison site at: http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/compare.asp

    Markeau, Jul 3, 2005